Ubuntu 18.04 Will No Longer Do Automatic Suspend By Default Unless On Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PackRat View Post

A few years back by brother installed Ubuntu maybe it was 14 with unity I have no idea. He hated it so much he went out and bought windows 10 pro. He wants to ditch windows I guess I'll get him to try fedora.
    You have to understand, most of these people are not ready to abandon Windows. And many of them are so inured, so hopelessly dependent on the system, that they will fight to protect it.

Comment

Fuck default, default will never works right anyway on so much diversive hardware
      Last edited by dungeon; 03 April 2018, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Suspend to RAM has always been hit or miss in linux, specially when using new hardware. Users should be informed in a clear way of this, though.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Poor Ubuntu and Canonical, 100% victims of this big bad GNOME software that just happened to them without them knowing about it.
          I do not feel sorry for them, not even a little. I tried to warn them but they looked away. Now it's happening. We could have saved them but they didn't listen. Now they are stuck with GNOME and it's horrible memory leaks and poor usability. It's their own fault. They could have gone with XFCE4 or KDE or MATE but they didn't.

This autosuspend thing is specially stupid if you install it on a server and it sits there with GDM loaded and suddenly the box is offline and if it's not local then you're screwed and you have to drive miles or call someone to get it fixed. This is a total scandal.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post
            I do not feel sorry for them, not even a little. I tried to warn them but they looked away. Now it's happening. We could have saved them but they didn't listen. Now they are stuck with GNOME and it's horrible memory leaks and poor usability. It's their own fault. They could have gone with XFCE4 or KDE or MATE but they didn't.

This autosuspend thing is specially stupid if you install it on a server and it sits there with GDM loaded and suddenly the box is offline and if it's not local then you're screwed and you have to drive miles or call someone to get it fixed. This is a total scandal.
            Who are you, exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
              What hardware doesnt work with suspend these days? Asking so i know who to avoid when i next buy a new computer cause that's fucking ridiculus
              Suspend worked fine for when I use the Nvidia proprietary driver on my laptop and desktop. But then my Nvidia desktop card died so I replaced it with an AMD RX480 and it stopped resuming correctly, so I had to disable suspend.

Comment

Just disabling suspend didn't work for me. I ended up masking the relevant systemd services:

# systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

Comment

Damn, that evil GNOME, it smuggled itself into Ubuntu's official release after it tweaked itself a little to look relatively like Unity so none would notice. Poor Ubuntu and Canonical, 100% victims of this big bad GNOME software that just happened to them without them knowing about it.
                  But Canonical is so evil for using GNOME, which smuggles such terrible features under the radar. If Ubuntu had stuck with Unity 8 based on Mir (none of this GNOMEish Wayland business!!!) it wouldn't have happened. Besides, it goes to show how evil Canonical really is if they ship upstream GNOME. They should have forked it and make it incompatible so that such things don't work on it.

And lest we forget, Canonical is evil because the Ubuntu installer allows using btrfs. It's evil because it doesn't use btrfs by default. It used to be evil for using upstart and not init, but later on it became evil for using upstart and not systemd. Today it's uber-evil for using systemd like everyone else, and it was evil for using Mir unlike everyone else. It's unbelievably, utterly mega-evil when it doesn't release something as a community project or burdens it with a CLA, and it's even more evil when it "fragments" the community by releasing something that the community actually embraces. It's sooooo evil for using Debian packages and using dpkg/apt as its primary package manager, because it just takes advantage of the community instead of doing the hard work. But how dare they using their own packaging system snap, rather than using RedHat's own flatpak. It doesn't matter: another day, another reason why Canonical is Satan.

Comment

Good choice. I've got a cron job to auto run mid morning, and I turned on my computer before I left for work so that my computer would do some transcoding for me during the day.

Got home to find my computer suspended and no transcoding done. This is infuriating on desktop machines, screw the environment.

Comment

I would get him to try OpenSUSE Leap instead.
                      I have thought about opensuse leap. I know they have a discord channel now. I'll check it out when 15 comes out. Last time I tried opensuse 42.3 mesa was in comparability mode opengl 3 at the time I could not figure out how to fix that so I dumped it for fedora. Fedora mostly works but with gitlab it has issues , could use centos but that's too old...
                      I have Neon lts and now i hear that that may be depreciated because Kubuntu uses kde lts. I choose neon because it's less broken then kubuntu. Oh and kde wacom tablet panel does not work here compile a kde 4 package from source ,meh...

I wish novel were still the maintainers of monodevelop... My bro loves C#.

Comment

Working...
                      X