Wine 3.0-RC1 Released, Direct3D 11 Enabled For Intel/AMD GPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by finalzone View Post

Ask Nvidia. Both Intel and AMD have open source implementation thanks to their contributions and documentations.
    And what about it? As far I know DX11 implementation on Wine doesn't rely on Mesa/open source drivers functionality and works on Nvidia too. So why lack of open source driver from Nvidia couldn't run DX11 on Wine? Enabling DX11 only on Intel/AMD is only Wine developers decision, and if You want to run DX11 on Nvidia just enable it manually. Some time ago I tried Witcher 3 (DX11 game) on my Nvidia GPU and it was working same as on AMD.

PS: Open source drivers hasn't got DX11 implementation. With Gallium Nine You have DX9, but not DX11. Wine achieve DX11 by translating it calls to OpenGL 4.x. So DX11 apps run on Wine works same on Intel/AMD and Nvidia.

Comment

Originally posted by dragon321 View Post
      PS: Open source drivers hasn't got DX11 implementation. With Gallium Nine You have DX9, but not DX11. Wine achieve DX11 by translating it calls to OpenGL 4.x. So DX11 apps run on Wine works same on Intel/AMD and Nvidia.
      Yes, but you can think about gallium eleven only when we get stable support via wine D3D11.

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post
        why dx11 on amd and intel but not nvidia?
        Maybe because on both AMD and Intel the GPU it will work regardless of using the opensource or hybrid drivers, while on NVIDIA it will depend on which driver it's being used, which would require wine to be able to guess it, and even then it could change in the future, and it basically adds complexity where it isn't needed.

If there were no working opensource drivers for NVIDIA, or if D3D11 worked ont he open source drivers, they would enable it by default... but with drivers where D3d11 doesn't work being the default in most distros, it doesn't make sense to enable it by default.

Comment

It might even be that Wine task scheduler will turn out to be far more reliable than Windows task scheduler. That wouldn't take much

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

Yes, but you can think about gallium eleven only when we get stable support via wine D3D11.
            Why would that be?
            The entire idea behind Gallium 9 or 11 is that they develop a reverse-engineering d3d.dll instead of making one that only routes the API calls to an appropriate OpenGL one.
            That means you won't benefit from all the work from Wine's D3D11 anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by leipero View Post

If Gallium Eleven will happen then I can say "open source driver support D3D11".

Comment

Originally posted by ssorgatem View Post

Maybe because on both AMD and Intel the GPU it will work regardless of using the opensource or hybrid drivers, while on NVIDIA it will depend on which driver it's being used, which would require wine to be able to guess it, and even then it could change in the future, and it basically adds complexity where it isn't needed.
                As I know Wine requires OpenGL 4.x driver to enable DX11, not open source driver. So it's supported on Nvidia too. Driver isn't important at all.

Comment

Working...
                X