A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frosth View Post

Gnome3's tray was useless anyway, so what's the point?
    Hum... Maybe the point of Gnome 3's tray was to be able to display tray icons, like Megasync and other apps do, in Gnome as well as every other DE and OS ?

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
      100% of all gnome users -need- numerous extensions.
      It isnt quite 100%, but the high extension usage does suggest that things are missing and/or done wrong.

Gtk+3.0,glib, etc. are nice, but I'm glad that other DEs exist.

Comment

problem on gnome desktop layout is that the taskbar is completely useless occupying space for nothing and the lateral taskbar is minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by frosth View Post

Gnome3's tray was useless anyway, so what's the point? You can always install topicon+ if you need this. .
          I will not go into debate if it is useful or not just like I will not go into debate if the whole Gnome is becoming useful or just stand in the way.

Topicons, I don't know, can you? It didn't work when I've tried it on beta release. Maybe they will fix it, then it will work for what, 1 release? Until it become broken again. Let's be honest, they don't want the tray and if it breaks, well... it sucks to be you
          Last edited by srakitnican; 10 September 2017, 02:58 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomme View Post
            "How does the humble gnome user do things like quickly cutting pictures without relying on a full blown gimp?"
            With Shotwell I would say
            "How do you effectively manage your data with nautilus or your music library with gnome music?"
            In Nautilus I typically move files by cut and paste, but if you prefer to drag and drop, you could always open a new Nautilus window and drag and drop between them. I don't have any local music files so I can't really say the best way to manage those, although I think Rhythmbox is more full featured than GNOME Music.
            "Things like cleaning up your music library by sorting / deleting by bitrate, or batch renaming files (like with krename)?"
            Again I don't really know for music files, but Nautilus has supported batch rename since 3.22. (just select multiple files and right click > rename)

Comment

Originally posted by GhostOfFunkS View Post

Nah. The philosophy is proven 100%. No API proves 100% flexibility for extension developers. Session support proves all downstream can tailor desktops.
              You mean just until the next version gets released right? Must be because Gnome doesn't have a stable API for its extensions and has broken them reliably. It's one of the few things you can rely on Gnome to do.

Comment

... But every time I opened nautilus I saw I coud not split the window in 2 halfs for easy drag and drop stuff, so I went back to kde. ...
                I'm afraid, but your problem is your own doing. You are expecting for one desktop to become exactly like another, which is just very unlikely going to happen. Instead, when you truly want to use a different desktop even just for a short time do you need to change your habits, too, or you will definitely have problems.

One can certainly drag'n'drop files with Nautilus and you don't even need to split a window in half. You can drag'n'drop from the main pane into the side pane and thus into a different directory for example. This does not require to split a window or to open a new one. But for more complex drag'n'drop can one open as many windows as necessary and perform drag'n'drop between them. In that sense is Nautilus already split when used with it's side pane, but can be split into N windows, too. So you aren't limited.

It's your habits acquired through KDE, which make it awkward for you. It's fine when you want to hold onto habits - we all have them. It's however not fair nor objective to use them as an argument against GNOME or KDE or any other desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyarlatothep View Post
                  how does wayland perform with proprietary nvidia drivers? and with gaming in general?
                  it doesn't cause the driver does not work with xwayland...

Comment

Originally posted by sdack View Post
                    I'm afraid, but your problem is your own doing. You are expecting for one desktop to become exactly like another, which is just very unlikely going to happen. Instead, when you truly want to use a different desktop even just for a short time do you need to change your habits, too, or you will definitely have problems.

One can certainly drag'n'drop files with Nautilus and you don't even need to split a window in half. You can drag'n'drop from the main pane into the side pane and thus into a different directory for example. This does not require to split a window or to open a new one. But for more complex drag'n'drop can one open as many windows as necessary and perform drag'n'drop between them. In that sense is Nautilus already split when used with it's side pane, but can be split into N windows, too. So you aren't limited.

It's your habits acquired through KDE, which make it awkward for you. It's fine when you want to hold onto habits - we all have them. It's however not fair nor objective to use them as an argument against GNOME or KDE or any other desktop.
                    No, no, just no. Split screen view is the orignal paradigm for file browsers. Much older than the main pane/side pane view.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      No, no, just no. Split screen view is the orignal paradigm for file browsers. Much older than the main pane/side pane view.
                      So you have habits, too.

But split screen is actually older than any graphical desktop. It's in the name of the technique, which used the entire screen and splits it into half. Graphical desktops then took over the screen and divided it into more than just two halves. To hold on to split screens is retro and anachronistic, but you're certainly free to have your habits of course.

Comment

Working...
                      X