A Look At The New Features Of GNOME 3.26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Frogging101 View Post
    Then what is it doing on a desktop? Maybe the user interface on a desktop should be designed to be used on a desktop.
    You must be new here, GNOME 3 has always been the "Windows 8" of Linux interfaces.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      I don't care of paradigms, I say what is most efficient, because that's what advanced users do. If I have to move files around very often, I don't want to risk that a mis-release during a drag-and-drop operation fucks up my target.

Click (or crtl-click or alt-click) to select files, ctrl-c and then move the mouse and click to reach the destination, ctrl-v, close the file manager or move on to the next batch.

Dual-pane makes sense only if you don't have a mouse and you are stuck with only a keyboard and a rudimentary ncurses-like GUI.
      Or in cases where you don't want to move the mouse all over the GUI and clicking around to do something incredibly simple. Click and hold, move the mouse, let go. Simple.

Comment

Originally posted by Delgarde View Post
        Oh, bullshit - Gnome has never been designed to run on mobile phones. Shell *is* designed to be compatible with touch-screens, but that's mostly in the context of laptops, not small-screen devices. You only need to look at it to see that - it's all designed for regular desktop use cases, multiple windows with regular window management functions, etc... there's little attempt to optimise for low-res or physically small screens, not a lot of full-screen apps, etc.
        Yeah, like the fact that I cannot access my windows unless I click on a "show all windows" button (or I install an extension to show them on the bar), or the very large "switches" used by settings, or the fact that the "start menu" pulls up a friggin Android-like App drawer with huge application icons.

Really, GNOME's design is for touch interfaces. That most Linux applications lack a touch interface is another issue.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
          No, just more mouse movements and clicks. Probably talking seconds or even milliseconds, but why exactly should people have to do more for less?
          How so? If you're using a split-screen file manager, you're going to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to split the window, then navigate to the two folders you want to work with. Under Nautilus, you're going to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to duplicate the current window, then navigate to the two folders you want to work with. The number of steps, and the amount of time, is identical.

Comment

Or in cases where you don't want to move the mouse all over the GUI and clicking around to do something incredibly simple. Click and hold, move the mouse, let go. Simple.
            If you are an advanced user, then moving stuff as I described is a habit, and even single files where a drag-and-drop would be OK get moved like that.

Because it's all muscle memory, you just give the order, your body does the rest automatically while you are thinking at the next retarded shit you need to fix.

Comment

unapproved post for duby229

Comment

How so? If you're using a split-screen file manager, you're going to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to split the window, then navigate to the two folders you want to work with. Under Nautilus, you're going to click a button or use a keyboard shortcut to duplicate the current window, then navigate to the two folders you want to work with. The number of steps, and the amount of time, is identical.
                You can't ask how so and then describe an entirely imaginary scenario. Maybe you should actually take a little time and try a split screen file browser? They are not even a quarter as bad as what you just described. If that's truly what you think, I think you'll be incredibly pleased if you actually try one. You'll have no choice but to come away with a better impression then that.

Comment

Yeah, like the fact that I cannot access my windows unless I click on a "show all windows" button (or I install an extension to show them on the bar), or the very large "switches" used by settings, or the fact that the "start menu" pulls up a friggin Android-like App drawer with huge application icons.
                  Mileage may vary, but I assume that I can see all windows on the current workspace because they're all visible anyway... because this *isn't* a mobile-oriented desktop, I don't have a lot of full-screen windows, and when something is maximised, it's probably on a separate workspace anyway. But if you do feel the need to see everything you have open, it's a quick tap of the Windows key... and another to banish it. No big deal.

Really, GNOME's design is for touch interfaces. That most Linux applications lack a touch interface is another issue.
                  Not really. As I said, it's designed to *compatible* with touch interfaces, but the primary use case remains traditional keyboard and mouse, something it does as well as any other desktop.

Comment

Mileage may vary, but I assume that I can see all windows on the current workspace because they're all visible anyway... because this *isn't* a mobile-oriented desktop, I don't have a lot of full-screen windows, and when something is maximised, it's probably on a separate workspace anyway. But if you do feel the need to see everything you have open, it's a quick tap of the Windows key... and another to banish it. No big deal.

Not really. As I said, it's designed to *compatible* with touch interfaces, but the primary use case remains traditional keyboard and mouse, something it does as well as any other desktop.
                    Except for 100% of its userbase that need extensions to make it sorta work for them. (which btw is highly likely to get broken at the next release. (which most likely was on purpose and even bragged about by the devs who did it.))
                    Last edited by duby229; 10 September 2017, 07:20 PM.

Comment

You can't ask how so and then describe an entirely imaginary scenario. Maybe you should actually take a little time and try a split screen file browser? They are not even a quarter as bad as what you just described. If that's truly what you think, I think you'll be incredibly pleased if you actually try one. You'll have no choice but to come away with a better impression then that.
                      I *have* used them in the past, so I'm not just making stuff up here. But seriously, if my scenario is "imaginary" - why don't you tell me what's wrong with it? Are you saying that under a split-screen, you somehow don't have to navigate to the folders you want?

It's a serious question - why do you think having two folders in split-windows is significantly different to having the same two folders in two windows? Because I see them as essentially the same thing, the difference simply being that split-screen is managed within the app, while multi-window is managed in the desktop...

Comment

Working...
                      X