Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qt QML Is Better Than HTML5 For User Interfaces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really web apps? They referring to Android apps you download from the play store and find out they are just web browsers? The app is identical to the website. What's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by updatelee View Post
      Really web apps? They referring to Android apps you download from the play store and find out they are just web browsers? The app is identical to the website. What's the point.
      well, not that I'm taking sides or anything, bu really it's just a different way of presenting a program. If you started your career as a web developer and you decided to make an android app, a web app might juts be the right way to go for you.

Comment

Originally posted by eugene2k View Post
        Since they write about having the developer test the UI on different browsers, are they trying to compare a desktop application to a web-application? Sounds rather stupid in my opinion.
        To be honest world has gone crazy as people are creating desktop software as webapps... If world was sane this comparison would be stupid but now...

Comment

Qt QML or HTML5? Ewwwwww! I'll take the crab juice thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

To be honest world has gone crazy as people are creating desktop software as webapps...
            Or maybe they just use web technologies.

Comment

Originally posted by bitman View Post

To be honest world has gone crazy as people are creating desktop software as webapps... If world was sane this comparison would be stupid but now...
              Google decided to up the ante and create the whole OS in the browser...

Comment

In our showcase, the Qt based application was generally faster, more responsive, and easier to implement.
                Yeah, your compiled application is faster than HTML5. I'm shocked.

Comment

A lot depends on who your audience is.

If your audience is middle managers who decide the technology you will use based on what they read in industry mags, definitely HTML5 because it's the future as extolled by the pundits. Advertising by Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, etc.

If you're targeting the people you sell your users' souls to, then definitely HTML5 because it's the better way to obtain the Big Data required. Ownership by Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, vertically-integrated carrier/content-providers, possibly clandestine government agencies or business syndicates, etc.

If your audience is the consumer using your app, definitely QML for speed, reliability, better experience, less memory and system/network resources. Good luck finding a business model that will cover your costs.

As for cost, development cost is about equal. HTML5 is simpler to distribute (it's on the server, after all) but needs to be tested on every browser, and there are an awful lot of browsers (I have two on my Android phone, and the default doesn't work on most plain HTML sites FFS) so you're probably going to limit you app to one or two big ones on on or two recent hardware platforms. QML needs to have binaries distributed and tested on OS platform so you're probably going to limit your app to one or two recent versions of one or two big OSes.

Or, maybe, the market is big enough to support multiple technologies. Unlike Beta/VHS/videodisk or Blu-ray/HD-DVD there is no natural market pressure for a single technology to emerge triumphant. It's more of a vi/emacs or tar/cpio situation, and the only real winner is the beer sales at a geek convention.

Comment

QML for applications, HTML for documents. QML was designed to be a composable UI for programs, while HTML was designed to be a document markup language. Present data in HTML, edit it in QML.

Comment

Besides the better performance the biggest advantage of QML is the possibility to extend its functionality with C++ plugins. So you are not limited in the things you want to do.

Comment

Working...
                      X