KDE Plasma 5.10 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also added this to the Arch Wiki some weeks ago:

(feel free to start a discussion it if you think something's not optimal)

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      I also added this to the Arch Wiki some weeks ago:

(feel free to start a discussion it if you think something's not optimal)
      Having your password in there in clear text looks a bit suboptimal

Comment

Best desktop for Linux, powerful, flexible and even leaner than most direct competitors. I tested all alternatives to Unity and KDE stands out the most, unless Canonical does wonders with Gnome in 18.04 LTS next April, I will switch to KDE. While waiting I am using Arch Linux with KDE and liking KDE a lot, the only quirk is that Breeze for GTK2 and GTK3 doesnt follow reduced button size for windows, I switched from Normal to Small buttons, but some GTK applications still show Normal size buttons, login and lockscreen with SDDM Breeze theme and custom wallpaper is also far more beautiful than GDM crap.

Comment

I've been using Unity for years and having to change I've been looking for something great, Plasma 5 has been the most natural answer. Plasma 5 usage on OpenSuse Leap 42.2 on Tumbleweed and Kubuntu 17.04. Fantastic!

Comment

cool! more new things *updates neon*

Comment

seccomp'd lock screen?! How are you supposed to exploit a lock screen, the worst you can do is... type a malformed password?

Comment

Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
                I really enjoy Plasma and have been using it for over two years as my daily driver now, but one thing I can't do with it is stream videos and music via SMB. SFTP works, but SMB's so much more practical.

It's got something to do with KIO slaves if I remember correctly.
                I too hope that will be fixed one day, but it seems to be an architectural problem (i.e., the program which opens the file needs to be aware of the protocol when using KIO, see here https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?...121263#p311405)

Comment

Originally posted by grigi View Post
                  That audio control looks very useful! pavucontrol was useful, but overly-complicated. So I'd just use it to set up, then try to ignore it for the rest of the time.
                  I don't find pavucontrol complicated, but rather a little cumbersome.

Is the new volume control thing from kmix or is it something else? I may consider installing it on my LXQt setup, assuming it doesn't want to install the rest of KDE with it...

As for Wayland, it's been steadily improving after every release. I currently find it "usable", but the experience certainly isn't perfect.

Comment

Also, did anyone cringe at the ~1s delay each time dolphin is launched in the video - it happens at 46s and 51s while demonstrating the jump lists. Either there's some underlying inefficiency in there, or kde apps just have a lot to do on startup (loading many shared libraries, parsing config files, etc). I believe this is a reported bug.

Comment

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
                      seccomp'd lock screen?! How are you supposed to exploit a lock screen, the worst you can do is... type a malformed password?
                      There were some issues in the past with some screensaver crashing after someone pressed a specific key combination or something.
                      In general spamming input events at unnatural pace (i.e. connecting a hacking device disguising as a keybaord, most rooted Android phones can do that) might cause issues and if the screensaver crashes you have access to the system.

Comment

Working...
                      X