KDE Plasma 5.10 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ⲣⲂaggins View Post
    Also, did anyone cringe at the ~1s delay each time dolphin is launched in the video - it happens at 46s and 51s while demonstrating the jump lists. Either there's some underlying inefficiency in there, or kde apps just have a lot to do on startup (loading many shared libraries, parsing config files, etc). I believe this is a reported bug.
    It opens picture folders, maybe it's because it renders thumbnails for them? Though yeah, it could render the UI quickly and fill in thumbnails later it that were the case.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      It opens picture folders, maybe it's because it renders thumbnails for them? Though yeah, it could render the UI quickly and fill in thumbnails later it that were the case.
      Way to test: open it on an empty directory - it's the same delay. Also dolphin already lazy-renders thumbnails, so that's not it.

Any toolkit comes with a small startup time penalty, but dolphin's is off even compared to other kde software.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        There were some issues in the past with some screensaver crashing after someone pressed a specific key combination or something.
        In general spamming input events at unnatural pace (i.e. connecting a hacking device disguising as a keyboard, most rooted Android phones can do that) might cause issues and if the screensaver crashes you have access to the system.
        To protect against the lock screen crashing you need a watchdog process, which seccomp isn't. Seccomp would be useful for preventing a rogue process wreaking havoc after being exploited some other way, but I can't see how a lock screen would ever end up doing that.

(Naturally, it goes without saying that the way lock screens are implemented in X is abhorrent and a sure-fire recipe for an unlimited source of future security holes. The lock screen should of course be in the server, as it is in wayland.)

Comment

Way to test: open it on an empty directory - it's the same delay. Also dolphin already lazy-renders thumbnails, so that's not it.

Any toolkit comes with a small startup time penalty, but dolphin's is off even compared to other kde software.
          Haven't got a chance to update yet, but I'll take a look.

Comment

I like that they changed the default desktop mode to "Folder view" like other sane desktop environments.
            I like to have the freedom to put whatever I want on the desktop (files, folders, shortcuts to files, folders and programs).
            I like the virtual keyboard in login / lock screen, this is very useful for me, because I have a few keys missing on my laptop's keyboard.
            It seems that Windows 7 already has this feature on lock screen, but the virtual keyboard will appear only if you had it open before locking the screen.
            Congrats to KDE developers for these improvements and for listening to their users!
            Last edited by Danny3; 30 May 2017, 07:48 PM. Reason: Added that Windows 7 already has the virtual keyboard feature on lock screen

Comment

well done... after couple of days this should land in opensuse tumbleweed

Comment

seccomp'd lock screen?! How are you supposed to exploit a lock screen, the worst you can do is... type a malformed password?
                With a malicious look and feel package?

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                  I don't find pavucontrol complicated, but rather a little cumbersome.

Is the new volume control thing from kmix or is it something else? I may consider installing it on my LXQt setup, assuming it doesn't want to install the rest of KDE with it...

As for Wayland, it's been steadily improving after every release. I currently find it "usable", but the experience certainly isn't perfect.
                  AFAIK, the new volume control is no "standalone" application but rather a plasma applet.
                  Correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt that you can run in on LXQt.
                  What's wrong with https://github.com/lxde/pavucontrol-qt ?

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                    It will be probably decent-enough in 4.11 and mostly-ready in 4.12 I guess.
                    The biggest stumbling block is Qt itself. There's heavy flickering in anything that isn't QtQuick.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

They've been doing videos for a while now. And I'll agree, they beat the pants off any release notes.

I can connect smb from Krusader just fine, so I don't think it's the KIO slaves. At least it's not a general KIO slaves problem, it could be a distro specific one? Fwiw, I'm on the latest Kubuntu.
                      I can connect to an SMB share just fine. The problems lies with opening remote files: they're copied to my computer first, which defeats the purpose of having them on the file server. Sounds like the answer lies in using fstab (see second quote below).

Originally posted by pollux_9t View Post

I had the same problem. The easiest way to fix this and get better performance at the same time is to mount your share via fstab. For this you need cifs-utils installed.
                      1. get your user and group id via the "id" command and remember it (usually uid=1000 gid=100(0) depending on the distro)
                      2. create a directory somewhere and change ownership to you i.e.
                      Code:
                      sudo mkdir /mnt/nas && sudo chown user:group /mnt/nas
                      Your can repeat this step for multiple shares
                      3. add an entry for each share to your fstab that looks like this
                      Code:
                      //IP.of.the.server/shared-folder /mnt/nas cifs username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,users,iocharset=utf8,uid=YOURUSERID,gid=YOURGROUPID,file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755 0 0
                      4. Now either restart or do
                      Code:
                      sudo mount /mnt/nas
                      The share should now be accessible directly via the kernel and circumvent kio (gvfs or any other abstraction for that matter). For the Desktop it looks like any other local drive and the performance is much better because it's all handled in kernel space instead of user space.

I hope this helps you.
                      Cheers!
                      Wow, what a thorough explanation/tutorial! I'll try that. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                      X