Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 5.10 Released

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • KDE Plasma 5.10 Released

    Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.10 Released

    The KDE community has released Plasma 5.10 as their newest desktop release...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...-5.10-Released

  • #2
    Congratulations. I really like the decoupled release schedule.

    Best new feature for me: "Audio Volume applet has a handy menu on each device which you can use to set is as default or switch output to headphones."
    The default audio applet was bad for so long in KDE, that's why everyone used veromix back in KDE4. Now the built is, should be pretty good.

    Comment


    • #3
      It seems a good news , I hope wayland support will be completed within the end of the year or just for the next distros release in october.

      Comment


      • #4
        Waiting for it on Manjaro repos! haha

        Comment


        • #5
          It does look a little like pavucontrol. Good to have a short video with a summary showing some new things so one won't miss things.
          Well, as soon as this hits portage I'll emerge. Hopefully they'll polish the rest as well, so "KDE 5" feel-of-use will be as good as a matured KDE 4.
          Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

          Comment


          • #6
            I really enjoy Plasma and have been using it for over two years as my daily driver now, but one thing I can't do with it is stream videos and music via SMB. SFTP works, but SMB's so much more practical.

            It's got something to do with KIO slaves if I remember correctly.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
              It seems a good news , I hope wayland support will be completed within the end of the year or just for the next distros release in october.
              It will be probably decent-enough in 4.11 and mostly-ready in 4.12 I guess.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

              Comment


              • #8
                That audio control looks very useful! pavucontrol was useful, but overly-complicated. So I'd just use it to set up, then try to ignore it for the rest of the time.

                SMB has been working perfectly fine for me with plasma. Ugh, probably something environment specific?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Adarion View Post
                  It does look a little like pavucontrol. Good to have a short video with a summary showing some new things so one won't miss things.
                  Well, as soon as this hits portage I'll emerge. Hopefully they'll polish the rest as well, so "KDE 5" feel-of-use will be as good as a matured KDE 4.
                  They've been doing videos for a while now. And I'll agree, they beat the pants off any release notes.

                  Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
                  I really enjoy Plasma and have been using it for over two years as my daily driver now, but one thing I can't do with it is stream videos and music via SMB. SFTP works, but SMB's so much more practical.

                  It's got something to do with KIO slaves if I remember correctly.
                  I can connect smb from Krusader just fine, so I don't think it's the KIO slaves. At least it's not a general KIO slaves problem, it could be a distro specific one? Fwiw, I'm on the latest Kubuntu.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by wdb974 View Post
                    I really enjoy Plasma and have been using it for over two years as my daily driver now, but one thing I can't do with it is stream videos and music via SMB. SFTP works, but SMB's so much more practical.

                    It's got something to do with KIO slaves if I remember correctly.
                    I had the same problem. The easiest way to fix this and get better performance at the same time is to mount your share via fstab. For this you need cifs-utils installed.
                    1. get your user and group id via the "id" command and remember it (usually uid=1000 gid=100(0) depending on the distro)
                    2. create a directory somewhere and change ownership to you i.e.
                    Code:
                    sudo mkdir /mnt/nas && sudo chown user:group /mnt/nas
                    Your can repeat this step for multiple shares
                    3. add an entry for each share to your fstab that looks like this
                    Code:
                    //IP.of.the.server/shared-folder  /mnt/nas  cifs  username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,users,iocharset=utf8,uid=YOURUSERID,gid=YOURGROUPID,file_mode=0644,dir_mode=0755  0  0
                    4. Now either restart or do
                    Code:
                    sudo mount /mnt/nas
                    The share should now be accessible directly via the kernel and circumvent kio (gvfs or any other abstraction for that matter). For the Desktop it looks like any other local drive and the performance is much better because it's all handled in kernel space instead of user space.

                    I hope this helps you.
                    Cheers!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X