KDE Plasma 5.9 Hits The Web With Global Menus, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

Ignoring the fact that there wouldn't be a need for "GTK people" in the KDE design time if GTK would support Qt themes like Qt supports GTK themes, do you have a source to back this up or is this just what you imagine happened?
    Mh, I might, if only git logs and mailing lists would be public.
    Oh, wait, nevermind, they are.

Keep trying to find excuses for non-needed breakage, especially by blaming others, that KDE is really good at (usually it is Qt they blame, though) *patpatpat*

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
      Why? Because KDE does not have a pool of senior developers like Gnome.
      Or designers. Or system engineers. Or QA people. Or ... quite a long list there, and yes, it is noticeable, every time I give it another try when a new release is out.

Comment

Originally posted by darclide View Post

Do it. Trust me, you won't regret it. I switched away months ago and convinced dozens of people to, nobody regretted it so far.
        And since when I switched, GNOME got a lot better.

Or designers. Or system engineers. Or QA people. Or ... quite a long list there, and yes, it is noticeable, every time I give it another try when a new release is out.
        So have you just switched away from KDE or are you just trying it from time to time? Make up your mind. Or simply lie better.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          So have you just switched away from KDE or are you just trying it from time to time? Make up your mind. Or simply lie better.
          Err, why the "or"? These two are hardly exclusive. I switched away from KDE ages ago, but I give new releases a try when they come out, to see if things improved (usually: they got worse). That's not terribly uncommon, other people do that with browsers, distributions and whatnot all the time. It seems to me that you are just trying to find a reason to insult me. I'm sorry if I hurt your personal feelings by bringing up valid points about KDE. Don't take it too personal, it's just bad software *patpat*

Comment

Edit: wth Michael, double post when I was trying to post smth else? This BB software is a nightmare.
            Last edited by bug77; 31 January 2017, 05:26 PM.

Comment

KDE Works For Me (tm). Multi-monitor too. HiDPI experience is pretty good too. I like the look, it's bolder and more modern-looking than the default looks of the other 'traditional' Linux desktops. I don't have significant issues with Plasma or any of the core applications. I don't really get what you're doing wrong.

For context, I prefer the Windows 10 GUI to macOS. I'm not a big fan of Apple UIs, though I run Plasma very happily on a Retina MacBook Pro. Make of that what you will.

Comment

I'm always impressed to see how some people have a life so sad and empty they have to resort to hate against something as abstract as a desktop environment to feel anything... XD

I've been using KDE since a veeeery long time, and while there are indeed some things they do that strike my nerve, I have never been as satisfied with any other environment as with KDE. It's by very far the most functional and *preparing the big word* ergonomic I tried.
                Very simply because it gives you any and almost every latitude to set how YOUR desktop will behave depending on YOUR needs and YOUR habits.

So as many other users, I never really cared about how intuitive it is by default. I just import my personal config and then I'm good to go. 1mn of time spent for dozens of minutes spared every day after. Only when I went from 3.x to 4.x then 4.x to 5.x did I encounter some issues with part of the configuration, so I had to reset or adapt a bit. Two times in nearly eight years seems not a bad deal to me. ^^
                Which, on a side note, allowed me to mix and match some of the best concepts of Mac OS, Windows 7, Unity and obviously some of KDE's own at the same time.

And some of their tools are lights and beyond compared to others DE (file management, "basic" writer, photo management). On the flip side, the mail client feels like a permanent work-in-progress, but since Thunderbird is here... ^^ And Activities were a rich idea, but they took too much time developing it, and even in its current state it feels a bit too hard to master compared to the supposed return on investment.
                Last edited by Citan; 31 January 2017, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Ah, yes, a great new release, as usual.

The "new" scrollbars are a great example for KDE still being subpar compared to GNOME and others when it comes to usability:[LIST][*]The scrollbars differ between GTK and Qt breeze. Therefor GTK applications (e.g. Firefox, GIMP) will look and behave different to Qt applications
                  Thanks to GTK crap. If such problem doesn't exist in gnome it's because of wonderful Qt.

The new tooltips are also a good example. According to the Blog post: "Task Manager tooltips have been redesigned to provide more information while being significantly more compact." However, they not only provide less information (Activities lacking, application name no longer shown for launchers with no open window ...) whilst not being actually more compact. Again: horrible UX decisions, users being lied to.
                  This one is disputable, but it's gnome known of horrible UX decisions.

Nothing new though, we are used to that from KDE: Break things for no good reason while adding tons of new bugs.
                  It reminds me gnome, but we have to add removing features as well.

Summary: not usable at all, go with what all major distributions do and use GNOME or Unity.
                  Or, of course, you could go and report the above as bugs. Which will be closed as "WONTFIX" because the maintainer doesn't feel like it, or because it is Tuesday, or because they don't like your name. Expect being shouted at, lied to and threatened.
                  Such a great product from a great community.
                  Summary: far more usable than gnome crap with much better community and developers. Thank God everyone's moving away from gnome and from gtk to Qt.

Comment

100% Agree. After KDE failed as a desktop it is more like a social experiment. Each year less relevant, less senior developers and more dormant code. But there is always a few ignorants around who still believe KDE can pick up the the disjoint pieces and create something useful. I hope KDE will stay around at least for the lulz and a lesson to future CS students. Past failures are great for study. Heck the CS students can even inject 1000 LOCs of prototype code into KDE and then move on without feeling guilty. It is like experimenting on lab rats just without the suffering.
                    For a 'failed desktop' I still see a lot of development and, anecdotally, more installs of it among the Linux desktop users I know than any other desktop or WM (Unity coming a close second). This suggests it's doing something right. The Linux desktop users I know are a mixture of web operations people and developers, all fairly high-powered users.

Comment

The regret comes after wasting years and years on buggy software no one cared to fix properly. Waste a few more years on KDE and it will still be buggy. Of course it will gain more cruft and experimental code by GSOCs and like. Why? Because KDE does not have a pool of senior developers like Gnome.

By popular name "The Red Hat Factor".
                      Gnome senior developers? You made my day! Gnome is huge, broken mess developed by incompetent morons who have no clue about usability and programming. What language are they using now? C, C#, Vala, js, python? Or perhaps everything? KDE beats this shit in every aspect.

Comment

Working...
                      X