KDE Plasma 5.9 Hits The Web With Global Menus, Better Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 5.9 Hits The Web With Global Menus, Better Wayland Support

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 5.9 Hits The Web With Global Menus, Better Wayland Support

Ending out January, the KDE crew has announced the release of Plasma 5.9...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...KDE-Plasma-5.9

Many years since I have seen so many features that I like in a single "short iteration" release. Well done KDE!

Comment

Actually looks pretty good!

Comment

Excellent job! Very proud on KDE.

Comment

I hate global menus, but I like KDE. We'll see how this goes.

Comment

Happy to read good news from KDE! Haters gonna hate but it is still awesome after so many years and versions.

Comment

Plasma has been my desktop of choice since 5.4, when I found it stable enough for me. They have really improved it in areas that really matter, so fast. The DE itself is visually pleasing and fast. I have tried others, but I just don't think they're up to the task and miss too many features/waste too much space (I'm looking at you, GNOME 3). (This is my POV, guys, no need to start a flame war).

Good to see Qt's flexibility being put to use here with the layout/theming thing. Also, they made so much easier to share themes/layouts than on other DEs. Hope people embrace the mechanism.

Comment

Is there any tutorials/video tutorials of how to used KDE? I've been using Gnome 2 and 3 since I begin using linux, every time I tried KDE I didn't know how to use it and didn't like the blue shadow/glow of the windows

Comment

Originally posted by andrei_me View Post
                  Is there any tutorials/video tutorials of how to used KDE? I've been using Gnome 2 and 3 since I begin using linux, every time I tried KDE I didn't know how to use it and didn't like the blue shadow/glow of the windows
                  Strange, for me it's exactly the opposite: I've been using KDE for years, but Gnome3 is still hard to navigate. Gnome2 I didn't have a problem with (other that it never stopped feeling weird).
                  As for tutorial: hit Alt+F2 and type what you want to do/open. Maybe install Krusader if Dolphin isn't your cup of tea.
                  Window shadows can be turned off, if you didn't figure out this much I doubt you ever put any effort into using KDE.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    I hate global menus, but I like KDE. We'll see how this goes.
                    I usually change start menu choosing the last one listed which is much better.
                    Last edited by Azrael5; 01-31-2017, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X