Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GTK+ 3.89.1 Released As First Development Step Towards GTK4

Phoronix: GTK+ 3.89.1 Released As First Development Step Towards GTK4

Matthias Clasen tagged the release today of GTK+ 3.89.1 as the first development snapshot leading towards GTK+ 4.0...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Oh, great. We are just recovering from the horrible mess that GTK 3.20 change was (Firefox only recently stopped suffering from that), and now the next one is coming...

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix
      various APIs have been removed, many new APIs added and some existing APIs extended
      And they are releasing this as stable? 5 years of non-stop API changes aren't enough?

Comment

Trust the trolls to come out.

No, this is not a stable release. It is a development release. Most likely to go stable in 2018.

After 3.20, 3.22 was released without the same level of theme breakage. The breakage in 3.20 was required to stabilise the API and that has been done.

Comment

I think after Debian this is the next big project to be forked. At least it should be to prevent further damage.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
            I think after Debian this is the next big project to be forked. At least it should be to prevent further damage.
            Do you always act like a spoilt brat when somebody thinks that a piece of software could be better? The devs have changed their release pattern so that they can create an unstable branch to fix the stablity problems of GTK3 and in general not have everyone try and develop against it before it's all good and ready, and you're acting as if it's the worst thing. Then again, with your comment about Debain I guess you are one of those idiots that thinks that everything was good and complete in "the old days" when wifi didn't reliably work.

Seriosuly though, when did aiming for better performance become something that was derided. The again, I suppose when you in America are actually capitulating to actual Nazi's in the form of some of Trumps advisors. At least Trump isn't, although he's just plain and simple an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by oooverclocker View Post
              How's that working for Cinnamon? Where's their Wayland support? Where's their scene graph?

Comment

What do they want beyond "widget" ??

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
                  Hey trolls. How do you like that GTK 3.22 will be stable and maintained for many years?

Be sure to share your butthurt feelings now that GTK offers the most stable toolkit and the fastest developing toolkit.
                  You made my day! Nobody will care about gtk3 after so many wasted years and pain it brought. The fastest developing? It's years behind Qt and will never catch up. Thanks God many developers already dropped gtk and switched to Qt.

Comment

Originally posted by SpyroRyder View Post
                    Do you always act like a spoilt brat when somebody thinks that a piece of software could be better?
                    No. I file a bug. But if it's such a misconception that there is no hope it will ever be successful it's just a waste of time to do that. I can't even close maximized windows in the screen corner with the standard theme. The window decoration occupies half of my screen and the usage is far from being intuitive and productive. It just fits the new GNOME- style: unproductive but meant to be easy(although it's confusing). But this style doesn't suit all desktops well. And I haven't even mentioned all these confusing messages GTK is responsible for yet.

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
                    You made my day! Nobody will care about gtk3 after so many wasted years and pain it brought. The fastest developing? It's years behind Qt and will never catch up. Thanks God many developers already dropped gtk and switched to Qt.
                    I would not thank god. I look at it as a big problem we have to solve. From its background Qt is not typical open source software and its development depends on Nokia(ok, GTK dev being part of GNOME has gotten bad enough too).
                    But you're right, in the current situation if you like to give the users the best experience and to prevent many errors in the terminal etc. your choice is Qt - sadly, in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                    X