No announcement yet.

7-Way Linux Distribution Comparison For Summer 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also wonder Clear Linux is Intel backed and yet uses CPUFREQ over Intel's own pstate, how about switching all distros to cpu-freq and then maybe we find out how pstate performs.

Comment

It would be nice if the same tests were also run on a full AMD system (where possible) and also published. This currently mostly shows that Intel-optimized stuff runs well on Intel, which is not surprising.

Comment

Originally posted by linuxforall View Post

Antergos is pure Arch with just some themes and using Gnome, cant' get any closer and unlike Manjaro, uses the same Arch repos and none of their own except for themes.
        I still seem to like Manjaro better.

Comment

Originally posted by staggerlee View Post

I still seem to like Manjaro better.
          Manjaro is good as well but Antergos is just Arch with theme, nothing else.

Comment

Solus has responded with the following.
            First of a series of updates today I now have OpenGL 4.3 support on my Intel NUC (Broadwell) More news to come later (And yes, that's Mesa 12.0.0-rc4) - Solus - Google+

Comment

Originally posted by mmstick View Post
              Solus has responded with the following.
              I responded with that on the last page too..

Comment

Originally posted by aaannz View Post
                I am actually interested what happened in Tumbleweed case. Do you have any details? Is it the newest GCC6 build?
                yep - the snapshot with gcc6 was released today and I am happily running and writing from it
                one regression though: thunderbird and chromium are crashing - a fix however is in the pipeline and should come tomorrow I hope...

Comment

I wonder what happened to Antergos/Arch.
                  It performs well on graphic tasks, but quite poorly on CPU / disk tasks.
                  Being bleeding edge rolling distro, I expected it to perform among the best ones.

do you think it's just a matter of optimizations and configurations? Is Antergos much vanilla on these aspects?

Comment

Originally posted by TeoLinuX View Post
                    I wonder what happened to Antergos/Arch.
                    It performs well on graphic tasks, but quite poorly on CPU / disk tasks.
                    Being bleeding edge rolling distro, I expected it to perform among the best ones.

do you think it's just a matter of optimizations and configurations? Is Antergos much vanilla on these aspects?
                    Antergos does no change or optimizations on their own, their kernel is pure Arch and so is their scheduler, they use CFQ as does Arch. Probably regression in latest kernel compared to older kernel of Ubuntu. Otherwise Antergos holds its own in games matching Clear Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post

The team has no access to Skylake hardware - so I'm actually pleased to see some testing from Phoronix as it identified areas of weakness. We're now updating
                      our mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-intel to accommodate. I only have Haswell and Broadwell locally for testing

Edit: More on this .. https://plus.google.com/+Solus-Proje...ts/Ag4drQSJ1Bt
                      Good news On an unrelated note, can't wait for Solus 1.2.1. I want to give Solus a try but was waiting for disk encryption at install time.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                      ...Start with a minimal distro, like Debian testing Xfce.
                      What an unheard of and unexpected combination

Comment

Working...
                      X