Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

7-Way Linux Distribution Comparison For Summer 2016

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 7-Way Linux Distribution Comparison For Summer 2016

    Phoronix: 7-Way Linux Distribution Comparison For Summer 2016

    Given the recent releases of Fedora 24, Solus 1.2, and other GNU/Linux distribution updates, here is our latest performance testing roundabout of seven popular OS releases on the same Core i5 Skylake system.

    http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=23317

  • #2
    I am actually interested what happened in Tumbleweed case. Do you have any details? Is it the newest GCC6 build?

    Comment


    • #3
      Michael, do you have any idea what Clear Linux and Scientific Linux are doing well regarding FFTE (or what the others are doing poorly)?

      Comment


      • #4
        When on bar there are compilers flags like: -O2 -march=westmere -fexceptions, it means that binary used for testing was compiled with those flags ?
        Its obvious that those 2 last flags will give extra boost to program.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mir3x View Post
          When on bar there are compilers flags like: -O2 -march=westmere -fexceptions, it means that binary used for testing was compiled with those flags ?
          Its obvious that those 2 last flags will give extra boost to program.
          Yes, Clear Linux ships with aggressive compiler flags enabled by default. PTS is simply reporting them.
          Michael Larabel
          http://www.michaellarabel.com/

          Comment


          • #6
            Wonder if Krita gets a performance boost out of Clear Linux, or a drop... Hmm... The paradox that it involves a lot of processing but also involves 2D rendering. Which does it rely more on is the big question.

            Also, wondering why you don't benchmark arch linux.

            Comment


            • #7
              What happened to Solus and Ubuntu for graphics performance this round of testing? That is a pretty serious regression.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by dh04000 View Post
                What happened to Solus and Ubuntu for graphics performance this round of testing? That is a pretty serious regression.
                The team has no access to Skylake hardware - so I'm actually pleased to see some testing from Phoronix as it identified areas of weakness. We're now updating
                our mesa, libdrm and xf86-video-intel to accommodate. I only have Haswell and Broadwell locally for testing

                Edit: More on this .. https://plus.google.com/+Solus-Proje...ts/Ag4drQSJ1Bt
                Last edited by ikey_solus; 06-23-2016, 11:57 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                  Wonder if Krita gets a performance boost out of Clear Linux, or a drop... Hmm... The paradox that it involves a lot of processing but also involves 2D rendering. Which does it rely more on is the big question.

                  Also, wondering why you don't benchmark arch linux.
                  As someone who uses Arch, I will tell you. It's a pain in the ass to setup.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    Wonder if Krita gets a performance boost out of Clear Linux, or a drop... Hmm... The paradox that it involves a lot of processing but also involves 2D rendering. Which does it rely more on is the big question.

                    Also, wondering why you don't benchmark arch linux.
                    Antergos is pure Arch with just some themes and using Gnome, cant' get any closer and unlike Manjaro, uses the same Arch repos and none of their own except for themes.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X