GNOME Developers Are Hoping To Further Improve NetworkManager

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
    Network manager is crap tho... They should rather just start over and make sonething that's... well... not crap.
    What????

Comment

Originally posted by Adriannho View Post
      What????
      Try running a server with a static IP and services that bind to sockets early. You`ll either have to run "service networking restart" every time after boot or kick this crap of your system.
      Even if you dont run services, having a static IP means you will regularly boot to desktop without network.

Bug in Networkmanager for almost 10 years (heck sometime in 2008 setting a static IP wouldnt even work), or prolly something they dont even have a concept for it - since you shouldnt run anything but a laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by FLHerne View Post
        Oh, finally. The only purpose of nmcli at present is so idjits can say "but NetworkManager does have a CLI, that's not a reason to avoid it!".

Better late than never, though.
        Originally posted by M@yeulC View Post
        I hope we can finally see a Wi-Fi connection menu à la wifi-menu. Even with a command line interface, I find this way too complicated. A curses interface or something similar would be great indeed, at least in my opinion.

Or, at least make the command line switches less cryptic (or is it just me?).
        There is a curses interface called nmtui. NM works pretty well even without GUI.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
          Try running a server with a static IP and services that bind to sockets early. You`ll either have to run "service networking restart" every time after boot or kick this crap of your system.
          Even if you dont run services, having a static IP means you will regularly boot to desktop without network.

Bug in Networkmanager for almost 10 years (heck sometime in 2008 setting a static IP wouldnt even work), or prolly something they dont even have a concept for it - since you shouldnt run anything but a laptop.
          For starters: Why do you need NM for a static IP.

This sounds like a bug in startup service order. Do you have a bug link?

Comment

I'd like to toggle wifi off and keep the setting after rebooting the machine. Why isn't that possible without blacklisting the module or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by corzo View Post
              I'd like to toggle wifi off and keep the setting after rebooting the machine. Why isn't that possible without blacklisting the module or something like that?
              Agreed, same for Bluetooth would be nice

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                So... nmcli will be left with only 2-3 switches/commands to make it more user friendly? :P

Better than the current mess, where I've never actually succeeded in making a connection.

Comment

So will they add per Wireless LAN ID Proxy server settings yet? or do I still have to mess around with multiple browser shortcuts for something that should be automatic?

Comment

Originally posted by oleid View Post

For starters: Why do you need NM for a static IP.
                    I dont need it (and kill it everywhere for years), but thats whats installed per default on pretty much any distro nowadays.
                    Replacement UIs for setting network configuration getting harder to find too, especially if they should fit to gnome3.
                    Originally posted by oleid View Post
                    This sounds like a bug in startup service order. Do you have a bug link?

Comment

I would see an Wi-Fi refresh button in the tray! It is enjoining to wait few seconds before me laptop find a new network.

Comment

Working...
                      X