VLC 3.0 Continues To Be Developed With Many Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zanny View Post
    Openmax [...] the industry standard for cross platform hardware encode / decode any time soon.
    Cross-platform, yeah sure. Openmax is a mess, requiring special code in your app for each specific vendor. Just look at any Raspberry Pi documentation, you need to call Broadcom-specific functions to set it up. Similar for other vendors you wish to support. If you look at the VLC Openmax code, it loads vendor libraries one after another, until one sticks. Some "standard"...

Openmax only works in Android because it's abstracted away by various APIs, no Android app uses Openmax directly. Beyond that, the only other place I know of Openmax being used is the RPi, but even there there's MMAL as an easier to implement alternative.
    Last edited by Gusar; 04 January 2016, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Is it able to be compiled to Qt5 yet? It's been a while since I last heard anything about that and the version in the arch repo's is still qt4.

Comment

How about basic ability to put subtitles on black border below the video in fullscreen? Many other players do it automatically, but in VLC you need to activate several plugins and to manually enter padding values (that depend on video and monitor resolution, basically different for different video files):
        Using VLC 1.1.12 on Ubuntu 11.10, I'd like to show subtitles under the video so that they don't disturb me. I tried to change it: Interface > Preferences > Subtitles & OSD > Force subtitle pos...

Comment

I still use it to play Blu-rays though mostly because I'm waiting for the Etnaviv driver to be usable so I can run Kodi on my Utilite.

Comment

Originally posted by Deavir View Post
            I am very interested in the chromecast support. Playlists and hopefully more supported codecs and subtitles will be included. I hate having to convert my video files and burning in subtitles.
            That. The ONLY new feature I have any interest in. Hopefully they do it properly, which of course requires real-time audio transcoding for certain audio codecs not supported by chromecast. It would also be really nice if that could be worked into xbmc (which yeah, obviously a different group of people responsible for that).

Not really sure why you think that vlc doesn't support subtitles. I've never had a problem with subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post

That. The ONLY new feature I have any interest in. Hopefully they do it properly, which of course requires real-time audio transcoding for certain audio codecs not supported by chromecast. It would also be really nice if that could be worked into xbmc (which yeah, obviously a different group of people responsible for that).

Not really sure why you think that vlc doesn't support subtitles. I've never had a problem with subtitles.
              I have a problem with casting video with subtitles to my chromecast, they play fine in vlc. The only solution seems to be to use handbrake and burn in the subs.

Comment

Working...
              X