VLC 3.0 Continues To Be Developed With Many Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OpenMAX
    Anyone making an openmax-vdpau-driver or openmax-vaapi-driver? Seems obvious that besides AMD having Openmax encode support on some hardware that nobody is going to support the industry standard for cross platform hardware encode / decode any time soon.

Comment

I haven't used vlc in an long time in linux.
      Do many users still use it in linux?

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
        I do, and I know a few other people who do, too.

Comment

What a coincidence! I have tried VLC from git on my Arch Linux system today, only to have it deleted and replaced by a stable version.

The show-stopper bug is that, if I manually resize the window, the part of it which displays the video doesn't resize.

Comment

Originally posted by Nille_kungen View Post
            I have to use windows along with linux. It keeps me from learning a new application to try to only use cross platform ones.

Comment

I use VLC on various systems mostly because it's convenient and supports nearly all formats. On Linux it's not particularly special, but on Windoze there are plenty of formats that its native player no longer supports or which require you to purchase software, download codecs from sketchy sources, etc. As I refuse to install 8, 8.1 or 10 on a system that means VLC is pretty well my go-to on that platform.

Comment

Lots of new features, as to be expected by VLC...

The real question is: Does it come with better rendering defaults? Comparing frame of a video between VLC's defaults and MPV's defaults, it's like night and day. With vo=opengl-hq, it's even clearer. I'm sure it's the same with other video players as well such as MPC-HC.

Also, how does one have daala codec support when the codec hasn't even been finalized yet?

Comment

My biggest gripe with VLC is image artifacts. They don't appear in MPV. It's a shame because I like VLC otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

That's exactly why fewer and fewer people are using VLC. It tries to be too much and the result is that it's not a reliable video player. It's 2016 now. It's long past due for a GUI that is stable. Silent crashes? No indication at all what wrong. Error handling is something I thought the software industry figured out in the 80's. Apparently today's new breed needs to learn again.
                    LOL, you do realize that that VLC (Video LAN client, notice how it doesn't have "player" anywhere) started out as a network streaming tool and only later turned into a general purpose player, right? So by your train of thought, VLC should stop being a media player alltogether.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                      That's exactly why fewer and fewer people are using VLC. It tries to be too much and the result is that it's not a reliable video player.
                      The VideoLAN project's goal since its inception is to provide a complete suite for anything related to streaming video over network, hence the project's name VideoLAN.
                      VideoLAN Server and VideoLAN Client were merged into a unified VLC application in 2003. As such it is nothing new.
                      If you don't like it, use something else.
                      I, for one, am a happy VLC user under Linux, Android, and Windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X