No announcement yet.

Phoronix Reader: "GTK3 Kills Support For KDE"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What really should happen is completely removing either one, and everyone should use the other. Maybe they should be combined keeping the best features and some backwards compatibility for a period of time. The point is, developers should strive for decreasing the fragmentation of the linux desktop, not keep fighting and f***ing a lot of users in the process. is there a single person who gets anything good out of this? Nope, apart from the one who "wins" the argument.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
      CSD implementation is from Weston, a Wayland reference implemented by developers. KWin developer chose to stay with server side decoration to keep compatibility with X11.
      I want some of whatever you're smoking.

CSD/SSD has nothing to do with Wayland/Weston and X11, and everything to do with the window managers/compositors. This is stunningly obvious, as Gnome's CSD works on X11...
      That being said, the KWin developer(s) never said anything about staying on SSD. They're just trying to think of actually useful ways to implement CSD, instead of the bulky shit from Gnome... which works great on some apps (e.g. Gedit, Files, etc) but absolutely horrible on other apps (e.g. web browsers).

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

If that book is called How to screw your userbase, then yeah I agree. Keep in mind this isn't the first time gnome devs broke themes. It's at least the third or forth time. And themes aren't the only things they've consistently broke repeatedly.

How many times do they have to break necessary things before people get tired of it? Oh yeah, people -are- tired of it. This is why their userbase keeps getting smaller and smaller. They're just going to keep losing users and it's their own fault.
        I know I'm getting tired. Tired of you trotting out the same canard without any substantial evidence. You've already hijacked a thread with this nonsense that Gnome is demonstrably losing users and were unable to provide evidence when challenged. You then admitted that the data can't be collected accurately and thus verification of your claim can't exist. You also managed to try to blame someone else for the fact that you made a claim you couldn't verify. And people accuse GNOME developers of being thick and incapable of listening....

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
          Well, that sure is a passive-aggressive way of dealing with it. While a CSS-based engine sounds nice, but deprecating the previous way of theming doesn't exactly improve GTK's reputation of "breaks themes every release" Combine that with the mandatory CSD of GNOME apps and no Qt theme/file selector integration and you have one uncooperative toolkit that sticks out like a sore thumb if you're not using GNOME exclusively. Sigh.

But at least it's good news that there's a Breeze port to it. (Though it, or a compatibility option, should have been done by the GNOME devs, not the KDE devs...)
          I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of Qt/KDE doing the exact same thing in the other direction. Any Qt program in a GTK environment with some themes just look awful and it's not the lack of CSD that I care about. Qt uses GTK2 in a GTK enviroment which means that you have to mirror the GTK2 and GTK3 themes. Some of the best looking GTK3 themes don't have mirror GTK2 themes because it isn't actually possible, or when it is it makes some programs like Libreoffice chuck a fit (which is solved in libreoffice 5 due to the GTK3 vcl-plug but the problem still remains).

Use of GTK2 also means use of the GTK2 file-picker which is pretty bad, especially with all the improvements made since the inception of GTK3
          Last edited by SpyroRyder; 05 August 2015, 08:28 PM.

Comment

I'm almost able to never use KDE again. And soon not even Qt.

Comment

Reminds me of the storry with QtCurve and GTK3.

Yes Oxygen-Gtk violates some GNOMe stuff but this is exactly what the what they want to as KDE works different in someways (I don't say good or bad but KDE has a different way sometimes) and I think they don't like it.

Also ist qt-gtk with the css based engine still possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Doodzor View Post

I know I'm getting tired. Tired of you trotting out the same canard without any substantial evidence. You've already hijacked a thread with this nonsense that Gnome is demonstrably losing users and were unable to provide evidence when challenged. You then admitted that the data can't be collected accurately and thus verification of your claim can't exist. You also managed to try to blame someone else for the fact that you made a claim you couldn't verify. And people accuse GNOME developers of being thick and incapable of listening....
                Alright, I hear you loud and clear, I'll try not to do it again. I don't want a repeat of that thread. It would be better to link it here than to repeat it.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
                  (Though it, or a compatibility option, should have been done by the GNOME devs, not the KDE devs...)
                  Just like how Qt developers stepped up to develop Adwaita-qt.

Oh wait...

(on this topic, does anyone use adwaita-qt? How is it?)

Comment

oh well.. is backward theming compatibility so important? as a newbie gnome user I don't care less.. whatever hope developers can have more time on real bugs/features! Just use those KDE apps as they are or install that DE if you fan one of those apps with thousand options and non-sesnse UI.

Nice click-flaming bait by the way Michael
                    Last edited by horizonbrave; 05 August 2015, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I don't think trying to make everything look consistent is a worthwhile effort. To me Linux is like a melting pot where environments with completely different visions can coexist. And it seems like a waste of time to force a look on an application that is completely different from what the developers intended. You also wouldn't try to force Blender to look and behave like a Qt application. The important thing is that all applications can run side by side on whatever desktop environment you choose.

Imagine an operating system that can run both Windows and Mac applications. That imaginary OS would be strictly better than Windows or Mac even though it wouldn't look consistent if you mix applications of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
                      X