Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Phoronix Reader: "GTK3 Kills Support For KDE"

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Phoronix Reader: "GTK3 Kills Support For KDE"

    Phoronix: Phoronix Reader: "GTK3 Kills Support For KDE"

    It was the subject line of a news tip this weekend.....

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...n-GTK3-Killing

  • #2
    What's going on with Breeze theme integration with GTK? With KDE switching to Plasma 5, Breeze already is the default theme in KDE.

    Comment


    • #3
      Probably in the same boat. Make it be CSS, or don't bother. Don't know if anyone was actually working on it.
      All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

      Comment


      • #4
        Rather "GTK3 kills support for a KDEish theme". The new CSS based theming is much cleaner than before. Probably the easiest way to get an uniform GTK/Qt look is to use Qt's GTK+ theme engine and be done.


        Edit: Here is Breeze for GTK+
        https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze
        Last edited by oleid; 05 August 2015, 05:45 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          For anyone searching for breeze gtk:
          https://github.com/dirruk1/gnome-breeze

          It seems that this is even to be incorporated into the next Plasma version so maybe that's why there haven't been too many commits on this repo:

          Comment


          • #6
            Well, that sure is a passive-aggressive way of dealing with it. While a CSS-based engine sounds nice, but deprecating the previous way of theming doesn't exactly improve GTK's reputation of "breaks themes every release" Combine that with the mandatory CSD of GNOME apps and no Qt theme/file selector integration and you have one uncooperative toolkit that sticks out like a sore thumb if you're not using GNOME exclusively. Sigh.

            But at least it's good news that there's a Breeze port to it. (Though it, or a compatibility option, should have been done by the GNOME devs, not the KDE devs...)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Well, that sure is a passive-aggressive way of dealing with it. While a CSS-based engine sounds nice, but deprecating the previous way of theming doesn't exactly improve GTK's reputation of "breaks themes every release" Combine that with the mandatory CSD of GNOME apps and no Qt theme/file selector integration and you have one uncooperative toolkit that sticks out like a sore thumb if you're not using GNOME exclusively. Sigh.
              But that's probably what the gnomes want. They care for nothing outside of themselves, not even their users.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by sheldonl View Post

                But that's probably what the gnomes want. They care for nothing outside of themselves, not even their users.
                Care to provide source of that info.

                Originally posted by GreatEmerald
                While a CSS-based engine sounds nice, but deprecating the previous way of theming doesn't exactly improve GTK's reputation of "breaks themes every release" Combine that with the mandatory CSD of GNOME apps and no Qt theme/file selector integration and you have one uncooperative toolkit that sticks out like a sore thumb if you're not using GNOME exclusively.
                CSD implementation is from Weston, a Wayland reference implemented by developers. KWin developer chose to stay with server side decoration to keep compatibility with X11.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Since GNOME 3 exists, I've always heard that the themes will have to be converted to CSS. What did the third-party devs expect? That the old theme engines will be un-deprecated after a few years?
                  GNOME has spent a lot of effort converting their own themes to CSS, it's not their job to convert all the themes that ever existed on the platform.
                  They warned a long time ago; the concerned devs did nothing; it's not working now: that is perfectly normal and for sure I won't blame the GNOME devs, they did everything by the book!

                  The only thing left is the fact that the major version is not bumped... Well, as said before, they had years to convert their themes; where they waiting to see GNOME 4 to start redoing their work?

                  I'd be much amused if GNOME devs decide to bump the major version. What will be their excuse then?
                  Last edited by Creak; 05 August 2015, 06:52 PM.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Creak View Post
                    Since GNOME 3 exists, I've always heard that the themes will have to be converted to CSS. What did the third-party devs expect? That the old theme engines will be un-deprecated after a few years?
                    GNOME has spent a lot of effort converting their own themes to CSS, it's not their job to convert all the themes that ever existed on the platform.
                    They warned a long time ago; the concerned devs did nothing; it's not working now: that is perfectly normal and for sure I won't blame the GNOME devs, they did everything by the book!

                    The only thing left is the fact that the major version is not bumped... Well, as said before, they had years to convert their themes; where they waiting to see GNOME 4 to start redoing their work?

                    I'd be much amused if GNOME devs decide to bump the major version. What will be their excuse then?
                    If that book is called How to screw your userbase, then yeah I agree. Keep in mind this isn't the first time gnome devs broke themes. It's at least the third or forth time. And themes aren't the only things they've consistently broke repeatedly.

                    How many times do they have to break necessary things before people get tired of it? Oh yeah, people -are- tired of it. This is why their userbase keeps getting smaller and smaller. They're just going to keep losing users and it's their own fault.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X