CodeWeavers Working On Direct3D 11, Better Wine Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I just reread this, and um, MS API's in wine are -not- native, in fact all of them are translated. Not a single one of them run natively. And that right there is exactly the single biggest problem. What makes that problem worse is that it's totally intentional. They wanted and tried to make it this fucked up. They designed it that way. Arggh!

No, what I mean is that when a Win32 program makes a call to a Windows API, wineserver takes it, sends it to a faux-dll that redirects the request to the *nix library equivalent. I am very aware of how it works. lol. The "native" part that I was talking about wasn't even about Wine; it was about game engines being ported to work native on Linux. Gotta read the fine print. Of course Windows programs don't natively make *nix calls; if they did, they would be *nix programs, and Wine wouldn't be needed.

And no, they didn't purposely do it like this just to piss users like you off. haha. For from it; this was the model that they figured out to make it work. Many, many contributors have come and gone, and it still does the same thing, which actually, in theory, should run as fast as native code; that is why it is designed like that. If Win32 apps didn't need Wine to work on Linux, they would be Linux programs.

As bad as you say Wine is, Wine is still the fastest solution for running Windows apps on Linux without a virtual machine (as far as I know, it is the ONLY way), works across multiple systems, is consistently being updated, is very usable (go on YouTube and look at all of the gamers enjoying their favourite Windows apps via Wine on OSX or Linux), and though it does not replace a native application, still provides a solution that a lot of people use regularly. For being that crappy, it sure is popular. lol.

Again, Wine is open source. Contribute some code and improve/fork/change it if you can do it better.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      I swear the linux community has the memory of a goldfish.
      http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/03...os-and-linux/1
      I didn't know about that even if using Linux way longer than just from 2009.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

No, what I mean is that when a Win32 program makes a call to a Windows API, wineserver takes it, sends it to a faux-dll that redirects the request to the *nix library equivalent. I am very aware of how it works. lol. The "native" part that I was talking about wasn't even about Wine; it was about game engines being ported to work native on Linux. Gotta read the fine print. Of course Windows programs don't natively make *nix calls; if they did, they would be *nix programs, and Wine wouldn't be needed.

And no, they didn't purposely do it like this just to piss users like you off. haha. For from it; this was the model that they figured out to make it work. Many, many contributors have come and gone, and it still does the same thing, which actually, in theory, should run as fast as native code; that is why it is designed like that. If Win32 apps didn't need Wine to work on Linux, they would be Linux programs.

As bad as you say Wine is, Wine is still the fastest solution for running Windows apps on Linux without a virtual machine (as far as I know, it is the ONLY way), works across multiple systems, is consistently being updated, is very usable (go on YouTube and look at all of the gamers enjoying their favourite Windows apps via Wine on OSX or Linux), and though it does not replace a native application, still provides a solution that a lot of people use regularly. For being that crappy, it sure is popular. lol.

Again, Wine is open source. Contribute some code and improve/fork/change it if you can do it better.
        At least in 2 circumstances I can think that isn't true. Gallium Nine and rdesktop. Both of them have patches that makes native versions available and neither of them have any chance of being upstreamed.

Comment

Originally posted by Master5000 View Post
          Windows Api is not garbage. Far from it. And the documentation is pretty great. Wine is an abomination. Just keep a Windows partition when you feel like doing real work and don't bother with these amateurs.

Well, unless you are stealing copies of Windows, a Windows license costs money; Wine does not need a license. That right there sets it apart. And there are so many goofs in the Windows API that have to be maintained (just like, odd bugs that need odd workarounds that certain programs rely on to work; yeah. Some Windows apps rely on certain eff-ups in the Windows API to even work), and no; the API docs are not all complete (you can find lots of information at wine-wiki.org and on the webz).

Haha. I love that; "amateurs". If you think doing with Wine what no other project has been able to do puts them in with the r00kies, I don't know what to tell you. So far, no one has come up with a better way besides just using Windows to get their apps running on *nix (either with a virtual machine or dual boot); I am sure the whole community will be holding it's breath waiting for the better solution to come out. Until then, there is Wine. Not ideal, but active and working and always improving.

Comment

Man, what is up with the automatic, arbitrary post moderation? What triggers automatic post moderation here? Maybe posting outside links or something?

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post
              Man, what is up with the automatic, arbitrary post moderation? What triggers automatic post moderation here? Maybe posting outside links or something?
              Micheal said it's one thing he doesn't like about VB5, so I assume he looked into it already.

Suddenly posts that I make don't seem to be going into the thread. I don't see any error messages. From a visual perspective it looks like it's just silently

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Micheal said it's one thing he doesn't like about VB5, so I assume he looked into it already.

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/forum...ing-in-threads

Oh ok. Cool. I figured it had to be something like that (I doubt that Michael would set up a censorship system outside of violating ToS for the forums. haha.).

Comment

I have my own issues that I'm sure are not easy to overcome. For example -- iTunes. They supported it and then they didn't. I've had quite a few folks for whom Linux was ideal to replace their old Windows OS and give their old computer new life right up until they uttered the phrase "as long as my iTunes works".

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
                    I have my own issues that I'm sure are not easy to overcome. For example -- iTunes. They supported it and then they didn't. I've had quite a few folks for whom Linux was ideal to replace their old Windows OS and give their old computer new life right up until they uttered the phrase "as long as my iTunes works".

That is a problem with Apple; not Wine. iTunes will install with some work, but the problem is that Apple's USB drivers for their device are proprietary and don't work through Linux. If they don't work through Linux, then they won't work through Wine. This is a 100% Apple issue, and all the more reason to use more open devices. It did use to sync to iDevices with a small Linux lib, but a few years ago they updated their drivers, and they no longer work on Linux. Wine does not support drivers of any kind, so yeah. Until Apple makes their iDevice drivers compatible for Linux, or someone writes an open-source driver, it will not work through Wine (by no fault of their own).

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post

Actually, I haven't looked it up in a while; check this out. http://www.libimobiledevice.org/

Comment

Working...
                      X