No announcement yet.

CodeWeavers Working On Direct3D 11, Better Wine Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wine is an excellent gaming platform, and for games from the XP era it might even work better than Win7. Many of these old games suffer from the "This program has stopped working"-problem on Win7 but work just fine on a current Linux+wine platform.

And as for Codeweavers contributions to wine:
    We contribute all of our work on Wine back to the Wine Project. We support many key Wine developers, who are making Wine into the technology that it needs to be. We also host the Wine community website server, winehq.org.

Comment

Originally posted by woife View Post
      Wine is an excellent gaming platform, and for games from the XP era it might even work better than Win7. Many of these old games suffer from the "This program has stopped working"-problem on Win7 but work just fine on a current Linux+wine platform.

And as for Codeweavers contributions to wine:
      https://www.codeweavers.com/about/support_wine

That error could mean a million different things, though. lol. I use it mainly for music production and lightroom/photoshop. For me, it works great. Not as fast as Windows, but totally usable.

Comment

As a Wine and Crossover user, DirectX 10 & 11 would be very welcoming as almost no AAA games from 2013 onwards support DirectX 9. I'd love to play GTA 5 and upcoming Fallout 4 on Linux because lets face it they won't be coming natively and if Steam's Linux marketshare continues to remain below 1%, I doubt we'll see many more exciting AAA games ports after the upcoming Batman and a couple others.

It is questionable how they plan to implement DX 11 "in the coming months" when support when DX 10 was released over 8 years ago and still not in a workable state and DX 11 API is only 2% implemented according to Wine API stats.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

That is a problem with Apple; not Wine. iTunes will install with some work, but the problem is that Apple's USB drivers for their device are proprietary and don't work through Linux. If they don't work through Linux, then they won't work through Wine. This is a 100% Apple issue, and all the more reason to use more open devices. It did use to sync to iDevices with a small Linux lib, but a few years ago they updated their drivers, and they no longer work on Linux. Wine does not support drivers of any kind, so yeah. Until Apple makes their iDevice drivers compatible for Linux, or someone writes an open-source driver, it will not work through Wine (by no fault of their own).
          I am not sure, but Apple released some open source packages that they have something to do with USB:

AppleUSBCDCDriver-4205.2.2
          AppleUSBIrDA-145.2.4
          IOUSBMassStorageClass-370.0.4

Comment

Originally posted by gbudny View Post

I am not sure, but Apple released some open source packages that they have something to do with USB:

AppleUSBCDCDriver-4205.2.2
            AppleUSBIrDA-145.2.4
            IOUSBMassStorageClass-370.0.4

Yeah, but I am not sure if those are all that is needed. That libimobiledevice library actually looks the most promising. I just don't have any iDevices to test with. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
              I have my own issues that I'm sure are not easy to overcome. For example -- iTunes. They supported it and then they didn't. I've had quite a few folks for whom Linux was ideal to replace their old Windows OS and give their old computer new life right up until they uttered the phrase "as long as my iTunes works".

Tell them rythmbox and amarok work way better than that masochistic piece of software

Comment

Originally posted by sireangelus View Post

Tell them rythmbox and amarok work way better than that masochistic piece of software

Not if you cannot sync a proprietary iDevice to it. lol. Although, if you use Android devices, you are good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

Then drop some code if it so easy. Lol. The Windows API is garbage as it stands anyway, and the Wine developers have to wade through all of that stuff (documented and undocumented).

Wine actually is NOT an emulator. It takes native API calls and passes them to *nix equivalent libs. To be honest, many people play games and do stuff through Wine all day and have a good time. Idunno; if you really think that it needs to be forked or needs code to be changed/implemented, fork it and code it. It is open source, after all.

If I am not mistaken, isn't the lead developer at CodeWeavers Alexandre Julliard, the lead developer for Wine? CodeWeavers actually DIRECTLY contributes to Wine, as code from Crossover usually makes it to open-source Wine. I would really place blame on developers that choose not to port their app or game to *nix; especially now that some of the AAA game engines support Linux if I remember correctly, it is becoming a poor excuse not to port when the engine runs native. Also, Valve being the biggest game retailer on the planet taking a MAJOR interest in Linux definitely turned some heads in the gam dev community.
                  I think you missing something: Gallium_Nine was one man's job for a small time. That is because it was only implementation (development). Wine GLSL is emulation, converts HLSL/asm to GLSL (research and development).

Comment

Originally posted by artivision View Post

I think you missing something: Gallium_Nine was one man's job for a small time. That is because it was only implementation (development). Wine GLSL is emulation, converts HLSL/asm to GLSL (research and development).

How am I missing something? Gallium_Nine wasn't even something that I mentioned. Neither was the development of it. I guess it is a good example of what a motivated coder can do when code is open. Other than that, I am not seeing how that was relevant to my post. haha.

lso, it is not a part of the official source tree, either. That being said, it is a small example of Wine, as a whole. For the most part, arguments passed to wineserver and it's faux dlls get passed on to the system. Conversion usually isn't need (though I am sure sometimes you have to covert things to lists or something like that), but even if it is, Wine is still not an emulator. Ideally, Wine would be able to pass, say, parameters from a call to a PNG library on Windows (width, height, etc), to libpng on a *nix system, with no conversion or anything, doing it ideally almost as fast as a native call. Yes, there are some exceptions, but it is not like it is converting every last call a million times over and over before it finds a home.

Comment

Also there is something wrong with the date. The article says end 2015, correct it to 2025 please!

Comment

Working...
                      X