CodeWeavers Working On Direct3D 11, Better Wine Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
    I swear the linux community has the memory of a goldfish.

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2009/03...os-and-linux/1
    The only quote about DirectX 10 in that link is: "?we're really pushing DirectX 9 support pretty far along, and getting ready to move on DirectX 10.?. "Getting ready"; no mention of having started or when it would be ready, so I really don't see the reason for the snarkiness.

Comment

Nobody's going to comment on "Whether you're on PC, Mac, or Linux"?

I figured you Phoronix people would be ripping this apart, not caring about the merits of an OS API.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

That is a problem with Apple; not Wine. iTunes will install with some work, but the problem is that Apple's USB drivers for their device are proprietary and don't work through Linux. If they don't work through Linux, then they won't work through Wine. This is a 100% Apple issue, and all the more reason to use more open devices. It did use to sync to iDevices with a small Linux lib, but a few years ago they updated their drivers, and they no longer work on Linux. Wine does not support drivers of any kind, so yeah. Until Apple makes their iDevice drivers compatible for Linux, or someone writes an open-source driver, it will not work through Wine (by no fault of their own).
        I hate to say that because I am convicted that openness and adaptation is the strength of Linux, but Apple needs definitely to get banned, killed, buried, resurrected, burned, destroyed, eat by a pig and the resulting sh1t sent to the sun where it would never return.

My first and last item from this iDumb company was an iPad (no flame please...) Believe it or not I had to wait 2 days to use it... because it does not works until you connect it to iTunes... so a neighbor gave me his Windows notebook (shame mode ON)

The most horrible fact is that the OSS community saved their ass (they were unable to make a usable OS in 20 years...) and they just give nothing back except proprietary stuff....

Comment

I know Apple could fix this problem in very short order by just developing drivers or whatever. Heck -- they don't even have to bother porting iTunes. Just make whatever drivers are necessary and hire someone to work with the WINE/Codeweavers team on compatibility and bug issues. It would be a rounding error on a rounding error of their budget in terms of the investment to do this. I remain optimistic that they'll do it one day.

As to trying to steer people to other options such as Amarok -- uhhh, no. Just isn't going to work for a variety of reasons not least of which is that the average user doesn't take change well at all. Changing them over to Linux would be a big enough change to manage. Moreover -- computing devices have become toasters that users just want to have very few buttons to click to buy music/stuff/play games/whatever. Last I tried every single Linux flavor of music manager, they were not for folks like this.

Comment

Originally posted by akincer View Post
            I know Apple could fix this problem in very short order by just developing drivers or whatever. Heck -- they don't even have to bother porting iTunes. Just make whatever drivers are necessary and hire someone to work with the WINE/Codeweavers team on compatibility and bug issues. It would be a rounding error on a rounding error of their budget in terms of the investment to do this. I remain optimistic that they'll do it one day.

As to trying to steer people to other options such as Amarok -- uhhh, no. Just isn't going to work for a variety of reasons not least of which is that the average user doesn't take change well at all. Changing them over to Linux would be a big enough change to manage. Moreover -- computing devices have become toasters that users just want to have very few buttons to click to buy music/stuff/play games/whatever. Last I tried every single Linux flavor of music manager, they were not for folks like this.

You guys might have missed my previous post, but apparently libimobiledevice (which apparently is in most distro's repos) gives Linux apps access to iDevices. Now, you can't use it with iTunes, but you can still do all sorts of stuff like adding/removing music, photos, etc.. Really, this lib is supposed to expose everything that it can do on other systems (syncing, updating, etc, etc etc). I would look into that next time you are looking for a solution for those that still use Apple devices.

I hate to say that because I am convicted that openness and adaptation is the strength of Linux, but Apple needs definitely to get banned, killed, buried, resurrected, burned, destroyed, eat by a pig and the resulting sh1t sent to the sun where it would never return.
            Are you aware of all of the code that they have contributed to the open source community, though? They actually have put quite a few things out.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post
              You guys might have missed my previous post, but apparently libimobiledevice (which apparently is in most distro's repos) gives Linux apps access to iDevices.
              No, I saw it. I'd like to know to what extent WINE or Codeweavers is even looking to leverage this library to enable iTunes support. AFAIK, everyone is silent on the iTunes issue and that's pretty sad because to put it bluntly -- there's a pretty large swath of the population for whom this makes Linux a nonstarter (i.e. not having iTunes). Yes Apple should do it. No they won't anytime relatively soon. And ignoring such a "critical" app for folks that otherwise have no specific OS requirements is frankly puzzling to me.

Comment

No, I saw it. I'd like to know to what extent WINE or Codeweavers is even looking to leverage this library to enable iTunes support. AFAIK, everyone is silent on the iTunes issue and that's pretty sad because to put it bluntly -- there's a pretty large swath of the population for whom this makes Linux a nonstarter (i.e. not having iTunes). Yes Apple should do it. No they won't anytime relatively soon. And ignoring such a "critical" app for folks that otherwise have no specific OS requirements is frankly puzzling to me.
                I seriously doubt, if they dont implement it themselves in some absurdly redundant way, then they won't touch it. If they can't force it to work on the longest code path it possibly can, then they will refuse it.

Comment

That is not how Wine works. Wine has nothing to do with that library. It is a driver problem, and Wine does not handle drivers. It is amazing how many people have not read the basic documentation for Wine to understand it's function. With iTunes, unless the drivers exposes the iDevice EXACTLY the same way the other systems do, it will not work. This is why using libimobiledevice and gtkpod or amarok is probably the best solution. I tested it yesterday on two ipods using gtkpod. It works fine. Everyone is silent on "iTunes support", because without a native driver to work exactly how iTunes wants it to, it just won't work.

However, iTunes installations are supported if you use PlayOnLinux or winetricks or something like that. It just needs a few dependencies, but it will work; just not sync. gtkpod though will let you source your itunes library and you can pull your music from there.

No one is "ignoring" this app. I want to say again that this is NOT a Wine or Codeweavers issue. Blaming those two projects is absurd (again, Wine has nothing to do with drivers in the Windows sense), especially when another developer is actively maintaining a native solution.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

I seriously doubt, if they dont implement it themselves in some absurdly redundant way, then they won't touch it. If they can't force it to work on the longest code path it possibly can, then they will refuse it.
                    Wrong. They won't touch it because it is a driver issue. Again, has no one read the docs for how Wine actually works? haha.

Comment

Sigh. Yet another comment awaiting approval for no reason....

Comment

Working...
                      X