CodeWeavers Working On Direct3D 11, Better Wine Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Their fault. How many years has it been? If they've chosen to be left behind, then their choice.
    Ah yes, if only nvidia was using the amazing mesa that doesn't even support 5 year old technology.

Comment

Originally posted by peppercats View Post
      Ah yes, if only nvidia was using the amazing gallium that doesn't even support 5 year old technology.
      explain? What 5 year old technology?

Comment

explain? What 5 year old technology?
        This?

Comment

Originally posted by xylef View Post
          You mean this?
          Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.

EDIT: It's too bad companies like codeweavers don't care about OSS and only rarely contribute to OSS projects that are important. Blame it on all the corporate dumbasses that caused their companies to lose money. Or worse, never earn it at all.
          Last edited by duby229; 22 June 2015, 11:47 AM.

Comment

You mean this?
            Show Mesa progress for the OpenGL, OpenGL ES, Vulkan and OpenCL drivers implementations into an easy to read HTML page.
            Yeah, exactly that. There's not complete support yet.

Comment

That's the whole spirit of OSS. Cooperation. Right now there are quite few contributors trying hard to get it finished up. No thanks to nvidia. Intel has helped alot with it, but they still won't move to gallium. ...

In the end their own lacking will make sure they get what they deserve.

And besides all the other nonsense the most evident fact of the matter is that the best gaming experience on wine comes with gallium nine. Benchamrks prove that indisputable.
              Last edited by duby229; 22 June 2015, 11:58 AM.

Comment

It sounds absolutely retarded and a total waste of time. They've been implementing MS API the wrong way from the beginning. It's as if they decided to take the longest code path that they could possibly devise. They've been implementing MS API's in such a way that it looks like they intentionally try to make it the slowest and buggiest implementation that they possibly can. The wine project desperately needs forked and reimplemented so that MS API's become natively available and then wine should be nothing more than wrappers. That way wine can actually be what its acronym stands for. Right now as is it should be called "translate everything incorrectly at least 4 times before execution", or teil4be.

Then drop some code if it so easy. Lol. The Windows API is garbage as it stands anyway, and the Wine developers have to wade through all of that stuff (documented and undocumented).

Wine actually is NOT an emulator. It takes native API calls and passes them to *nix equivalent libs. To be honest, many people play games and do stuff through Wine all day and have a good time. Idunno; if you really think that it needs to be forked or needs code to be changed/implemented, fork it and code it. It is open source, after all.

It's too bad companies like codeweavers don't care about OSS and only rarely contribute to OSS projects that are important. Blame it on all the corporate dumbasses that caused their companies to lose money. Or worse, never earn it at all.
                If I am not mistaken, isn't the lead developer at CodeWeavers Alexandre Julliard, the lead developer for Wine? CodeWeavers actually DIRECTLY contributes to Wine, as code from Crossover usually makes it to open-source Wine. I would really place blame on developers that choose not to port their app or game to *nix; especially now that some of the AAA game engines support Linux if I remember correctly, it is becoming a poor excuse not to port when the engine runs native. Also, Valve being the biggest game retailer on the planet taking a MAJOR interest in Linux definitely turned some heads in the gam dev community.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

Then drop some code if it so easy. Lol. The Windows API is garbage as it stands anyway, and the Wine developers have to wade through all of that stuff (documented and undocumented).

Wine actually is NOT an emulator. It takes native API calls and passes them to *nix equivalent libs. To be honest, many people play games and do stuff through Wine all day and have a good time. Idunno; if you really think that it needs to be forked or needs code to be changed/implemented, fork it and code it. It is open source, after all.

If I am not mistaken, isn't the lead developer at CodeWeavers Alexandre Julliard, the lead developer for Wine? CodeWeavers actually DIRECTLY contributes to Wine, as code from Crossover usually makes it to open-source Wine. I would really place blame on developers that choose not to port their app or game to *nix; especially now that some of the AAA game engines support Linux if I remember correctly, it is becoming a poor excuse not to port when the engine runs native. Also, Valve being the biggest game retailer on the planet taking a MAJOR interest in Linux definitely turned some heads in the gam dev community.
                  Wine may not be a emulator, although most emulators use translators or recompilers as their primary method pretty much exactly the same way wine does.

In any case if it's not an emulator then it's an absolutely terrible translator.

Comment

Originally posted by xylef View Post

Yeah, exactly that. There's not complete support yet.
                    Yes but it's rather close now, i think the mesa will catch up on opengl standards in the near future.

Comment

Originally posted by RoninDusette View Post

I just reread this, and um, MS API's in wine are -not- native, in fact all of them are translated. Not a single one of them run natively. (And many, many, many of them go through multiple translations.) And that right there is exactly the single biggest problem. What makes that problem worse is that it's totally intentional. They wanted and tried to make it this fucked up. They designed it that way. Arggh!
                      Last edited by duby229; 22 June 2015, 12:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X