Canonical Shows Mir, Unity-Next Running On MacBook Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
    Let me anticipate the answer of the trolls for you (I like Ubuntu and don't hate Canonical): they didn't do anything, everything was done by others and they only took credit for it. They also were idiotic incompetents because PulseAudio was great but they misimplemented it. They are FUD spreaders of the worst kind. They also don't contribute anything (because for them contribution means code pushed upstream). Plus dishonest Shuttleworth. They are evil. Without them there would have been distros just as usable and maybe linux desktop would have been even more popular, all the while staying true to open source movement.

These guys really think that Canonical is evil and that somehow they don't play by their rules. Of course they don't play by your rules you geniuses. By your rules linux would have been where it was before Canonical. Totally irrelevant <1% marketshare. Of course they need to change the strategy. And of course they will not listen to you. If you were any good you would have had Arch or Slackware as the dominant distro but you don't. Why? Because people don't like them. And you can't force them to use things that they don't like. Canonical just gives them what they want.

And then they will tell you that popularity isn't really that important and staying true to blah blah blah is more important. And don't listen to top40 music because.....

Plus of course popularity has nothing to do with how good it is so basically Ubuntu is just popular because Canonical is evil and has money(these two strongly interlinked) and it's the shittiest distro ever that fries your brain when you try to use it. They're the new microsoft only worse, lead by a complete megalomaniac.

I've summed up the reasons hope you understand they are not 'normal' users. They despise the grandma that tries to use linux. You can't write modules for the kernel that means you are shit!
    Well said..

I'm not sure where I stand in relationship to Mir vs. Wayland. I hope they are both successful. I believe Canonical has done Linux a favor. If not for the success of Ubuntu, we probably wouldn't have Steam on Linux now. Gaming is becoming better on Linux, as are gfx drivers. Just a few years ago, both of those were in terrible shape on Linux.

The desktop computing paradigm is giving way to mobile. Already, mobile devices outship desktop devices and the trend will only continue. Desktop devices will never die, but mobile computing will become the dominant force in the future, and Ubuntu see's that and is pushing Linux (whether the rest of OSS world is ready or not) in that direction. I don't know why they couldn't use Wayland, but for whatever reason, they felt they needed something different and thus created Mir. I'm happy to see the rapid pace of their progress.

Comment

Let me anticipate the answer of the trolls for you (I like Ubuntu and don't hate Canonical): they didn't do anything, everything was done by others and they only took credit for it. They also were idiotic incompetents because PulseAudio was great but they misimplemented it. They are FUD spreaders of the worst kind. They also don't contribute anything (because for them contribution means code pushed upstream). Plus dishonest Shuttleworth. They are evil. Without them there would have been distros just as usable and maybe linux desktop would have been even more popular, all the while staying true to open source movement.

These guys really think that Canonical is evil and that somehow they don't play by their rules. Of course they don't play by your rules you geniuses. By your rules linux would have been where it was before Canonical. Totally irrelevant <1% marketshare. Of course they need to change the strategy. And of course they will not listen to you. If you were any good you would have had Arch or Slackware as the dominant distro but you don't. Why? Because people don't like them. And you can't force them to use things that they don't like. Canonical just gives them what they want.

And then they will tell you that popularity isn't really that important and staying true to blah blah blah is more important. And don't listen to top40 music because.....

Plus of course popularity has nothing to do with how good it is so basically Ubuntu is just popular because Canonical is evil and has money(these two strongly interlinked) and it's the shittiest distro ever that fries your brain when you try to use it. They're the new microsoft only worse, lead by a complete megalomaniac.

I've summed up the reasons hope you understand they are not 'normal' users. They despise the grandma that tries to use linux. You can't write modules for the kernel that means you are shit!
      I stopped reading at "PulseAudio", your going on my black list of people never to accept code contributions from. PulseAudio is garbage, a smart move would have been RtAudio,RtMidi and STK or just Jack or even PortAudio.

The blender foundation considered "PulseAudio" for about 2 sec's and confirmed it was a steaming pile of crap and whoever developed it should be shot in the head.

Even mentioning "PulseAudio" tells me you have never in your life done any form of serious "Audio Production" in anyway shape or form.

Excuse me while I go pound a bottle of scotch and and try and forget that you actually said "PulseAudio was great but ..." no no no PulseAudio was never ever great.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
        I stopped reading at "PulseAudio", your going on my black list of people never to accept code contributions from. PulseAudio is garbage, a smart move would have been RtAudio,RtMidi and STK or just Jack or even PortAudio.

The blender foundation considered "PulseAudio" for about 2 sec's and confirmed it was a steaming pile of crap and whoever developed it should be shot in the head.

Even mentioning "PulseAudio" tells me you have never in your life done any form of serious "Audio Production" in anyway shape or form.

Excuse me while I go pound a bottle of scotch and and try and forget that you actually said "PulseAudio was great but ..." no no no PulseAudio was never ever great.
        Yes, pulseaudio is not great, but today doesn't exist nothing like coreaudio or directsound on linux ( alsa , oss, jack, are so primitive)

Comment

Originally posted by pandev92 View Post
          Yes, pulseaudio is not great, but today doesn't exist nothing like coreaudio or directsound on linux ( alsa , oss, jack, are so primitive)
          I just pointed out RtAudio, RtMidi and STK .....

Lets google ....

RtAudio is a set of C++ classes that provide a common API (Application Programming Interface) for realtime audio input/output across Linux, Macintosh OS-X and Windows operating systems. RtAudio significantly simplifies the process of interacting with computer audio hardware. It was designed with the following objectives:

object-oriented C++ design
          simple, common API across all supported platforms
          only one source and two header files for easy inclusion in programming projects
          allow simultaneous multi-api support
          support dynamic connection of devices
          provide extensive audio device parameter control
          allow audio device capability probing
          automatic internal conversion for data format, channel number compensation, (de)interleaving, and byte-swapping

Want to take a gander at what it supports?

--with-alsa = choose native ALSA API support (linux only)
          --with-pulse = choose native PulseAudio API support (linux only)
          --with-oss = choose OSS API support (linux only)
          --with-jack = choose JACK server support (linux or Macintosh OS-X)
          --with-core = choose CoreAudio API support (Macintosh OS-X only)
          --with-asio = choose ASIO API support (windows only)
          --with-ds = choose DirectSound API support (windows only)

Should I continue with RtMidi and STK and clue you in on the fact that not only is STK a Synth Toolkit but it also replaces OpenAL and FMOD when combined with
          RtAudio?

And Jack is a kick ass piece of software, but its purely an audio transport mechanism, Saying jack is primitive tells me you don't use it.

To the rest of you guys, I don't want to sound rude but for gods sakes learn a programming language and start building applications for your self.

Here is some inspiration. "From Scratch"

This one even has its own Qt Window Manager and Compositor, CSS Themes.

Guys things like Multimedia Players, Audio Players, hell even a Web Browser is easy shit these days. If you don't already have your own
          then your not even trying. This is why we use and love linux. Why would you want to bother with "Ubuntu, Windows or Mac?" you are your own Ubuntu, Windows and Mac.

And you have millions of your own personal Ubuntu Slaves see above, Now I am Ubuntu and just call me Steve Shuttleworth
          Last edited by zester; 15 May 2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

@zester: How is Quatum coming along? It seems it has been close to two years since you talked about it on Arch Linux forums. Are you planning to actually make a release of it? Nice file system layout btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Kivada View Post
              And if we wait there wont be an OSS computing market outside of the server space. Fact, Microsoft and Apple are looking to have completely walled up gardens, if Linux doesn't make big strides forward you can kiss it goodbye.

The success of Android and iOS is the death nail of the home computer if left up to those companies which is exactly what you are proposing we do. You fail to realize that your geekness as a Linux user will go away if it's no longer profitable for Intel and AMD to produce chips in bulk for the consumer market. Most ARM hardware is either a locked bootloader or no support for Linux drivers that aren't closed blobs that aren't freely available or distributable.

Linux on the desktop needs to get big fast and start bringing in more commercial companies so it can start eating up more market share instead of chasing the dreams of the ubernerds that want Linux to be their little pet project only.
              I hate to be the one to break this to you, but it isnt going to be too much longer before AMD starts manufacturing ARM chips -for- enthusiasts like us. I for one am excited and can't wait for that day. It is about damn time that we as an industry moved away from x86.

Comment

You just don't get it do you?

Arch and Slackware are -not- made to be dominant distro's... Stop pulling shit out of your ass and flinging it around. It's nasty, just don't do it.
                Last edited by duby229; 15 May 2013, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I just pointed out RtAudio, RtMidi and STK .....

Lets google ....

RtAudio is a set of C++ classes that provide a common API (Application Programming Interface) for realtime audio input/output across Linux, Macintosh OS-X and Windows operating systems. RtAudio significantly simplifies the process of interacting with computer audio hardware. It was designed with the following objectives:

object-oriented C++ design
                  simple, common API across all supported platforms
                  only one source and two header files for easy inclusion in programming projects
                  allow simultaneous multi-api support
                  support dynamic connection of devices
                  provide extensive audio device parameter control
                  allow audio device capability probing
                  automatic internal conversion for data format, channel number compensation, (de)interleaving, and byte-swapping

Want to take a gander at what it supports?

--with-alsa = choose native ALSA API support (linux only)
                  --with-pulse = choose native PulseAudio API support (linux only)
                  --with-oss = choose OSS API support (linux only)
                  --with-jack = choose JACK server support (linux or Macintosh OS-X)
                  --with-core = choose CoreAudio API support (Macintosh OS-X only)
                  --with-asio = choose ASIO API support (windows only)
                  --with-ds = choose DirectSound API support (windows only)

Should I continue with RtMidi and STK and clue you in on the fact that not only is STK a Synth Toolkit but it also replaces OpenAL and FMOD when combined with
                  RtAudio?

And Jack is a kick ass piece of software, but its purely an audio transport mechanism, Saying jack is primitive tells me you don't use it.

To the rest of you guys, I don't want to sound rude but for gods sakes learn a programming language and start building applications for your self.

Here is some inspiration. "From Scratch"

This one even has its own Qt Window Manager and Compositor, CSS Themes.

Guys things like Multimedia Players, Audio Players, hell even a Web Browser is easy shit these days. If you don't already have your own
                  then your not even trying. This is why we use and love linux. Why would you want to bother with "Ubuntu, Windows or Mac?" you are your own Ubuntu, Windows and Mac.

And you have millions of your own personal Ubuntu Slaves see above, Now I am Ubuntu and just call me Steve Shuttleworth
                  Your ego is great!

Comment

Running on what system? Let remind the reason PulseAudio seemed garbage was due to Canonical implementation using early version.

Comment

PA -still- has -multisecond- (I repeat not milli but multi) latency. It;'s junk. It is some of the worst bloatware ever written by anyone for any project.

EDIT: Any software project using PA should be shot in the head. Steam included. Though I love steam,,, Point being, DON'T use that crap.
                      Last edited by duby229; 15 May 2013, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X