Canonical Shows Mir, Unity-Next Running On MacBook Pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teho View Post
    @zester: How is Quatum coming along? It seems it has been close to two years since you talked about it on Arch Linux forums. Are you planning to actually make a release of it? Nice file system layout btw.
    I don't know, after that whole Qt5 X11 deal I kinda regressed into a state of depression, and lost track of half my code. I helped out with Razor-Qt and the Maui project a little. It wasn't until this new kid hit me up a couple of days ago wanting to get it going again that my interest got sparked again. But I haven't been completely dormant the last two years. I spent a lot of time working on VFX related stuff and Binding code for Lua and Python.

In that time I found my self forking/reviving other "Graphics" related programs that had been abandoned ....

Theres:

Mine:

Theres:

Mine:

Those are being combined for this ...

But I am also working on a System Installer for "Debian, Fedora/RedHat, Gentoo, Arch and LFS".
    Feature's
    1. Hardware Detection (pyudev)
    2. Partition Manager (reparted "python")
    3. Clock and Timezone Map (Marble Qt "C++")
    4. Parsing and Writing Kernel Config's (Kconfiglib "Python")
    5. Enabling and Disabling Services ( python-systemd)
    6. .....

Lots and lots of work, but I still only have a few part time devs to help and they have families and jobs.

But things are definitely better in regards to support librarys, right now would be a great time to give it another go if there were other experienced developers interested.
    Last edited by zester; 15 May 2013, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
      @zester: How is Quatum coming along? It seems it has been close to two years since you talked about it on Arch Linux forums. Are you planning to actually make a release of it? Nice file system layout btw.
      The Filesystem? Thanks I like it also, someday I might actualy get to it.

Code:
      /-+-Applications <-- Global User Applications
            +-Gimp 
        +-Network      <-- Web, Chat, Mail, Cloud, ... Servers
        +-System       <-- System Core Directory
            +-bin
            +-dev
            +-include
            +-kernel
            +-lib
            +-proc
            +-settings
            +-shared
            +-src
            +-sys
            +-tmp
            +-...
        +-Users        <-- User Account Directory
            +-userName
                +-Applications <-- Local User Applications
                +-Desktop      <-- User Desktop
                    +-Home.desktop  <-- Standard INI File
                +-Documents    <-- Documents (Pdf, Html, Text, ...)
                +-Downloads    <-- Default download location
                +-Music        <-- Music (Wav, Flac, Vorbis, Speex, ...)
                +-Pictures     <-- Images (Exr, WebP, Png, Jpeg, ...)
                +-Trash        <-- Trash
                +-Settings     <-- Holds user settings
                +-Videos       <-- Videos (Dirac, VP8, Theora, ...)
        +-Volumes

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
        Your ego is great!

Not at all how are your C++ and Python or Lua skills if your comfortable with Qt C++ or even Python and Qt I would be more than willing to
        help get you started if this is something your interested in.

Comment

Originally posted by zester View Post
          Not at all how are your C++ and Python or Lua skills if your comfortable with Qt C++ or even Python and Qt I would be more than willing to
          help get you started if this is something your interested in.
          There's no need at all.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
            Running on what system? Let remind the reason PulseAudio seemed garbage was due to Canonical implementation using early version.
            It's still garbage, doesn't matter what version or system, I pointed out three different systems, that wipe the floor with PA. Jack is kick ass "IF" its set up right. Do your own research in regards to Pro Linux audio particularly the ones I mentioned. Its up to you on where you place your loyalty. I know better.

I quit being a fanboy loyalist along time ago, I will use whatever works the best on linux.

No disrespect intended, but your wrong when it comes to PulseAudio.
            Last edited by zester; 15 May 2013, 05:56 PM.

Comment

It's still garbage, doesn't matter what version or system, I pointed out three different systems, that wipe the floor with PA. Jack is kick ass "IF" its set up right. Do your own research in regards to Pro Linux audio particularly the ones I mentioned. Its up to you on where you place your loyalty. I know better.

I quit being a fanboy loyalist along time ago, I will use whatever works the best on linux.

No disrespect intended, but your wrong when it comes to PulseAudio.
              PulseAudio is fine for most cases. jack is good but badly implemented, it doesn't works well for everything.

Comment

Originally posted by zester
                I pointed out three different systems, that wipe the floor with PA. Jack is kick ass "IF" its set up right.
                It's completely irrelevant (for me anyway) until someone actually builds an easily set up and usable stack that applications support. PulseAudio is great for consumer audio in a sense that it has decent graphical mixers (Veromix for example), it's power efficient, it has good support for stuff like bluetooth headsets and other hotplugged devices like USB soundcards and such and has support for easy configuration of audio channels (like changing audio output of an applications without a pause, easily configuring output from multiple applications to multiple different outputs and so on...). Jack for example doesn't concern itself with power usage (the literal one) and being easy for "normal" usecases (it shouldn't need any configuration); the performance benefits are irrelevant for pretty much anything else but audio production. Sure it would be nice to have single system that covers both cases but such thing doesn't exist nor does Jack or PulseAudio intend to be one.

Originally posted by zester
                The Filesystem? Thanks I like it also, someday I might actualy get to it.
                You listed the file types in some of the user folders; would the idea be for the system to automatically sort the files or something?

...and wow, that's a lot of projects. In any case it would be nice to see some of those projects to mature to point of being ready for general consumption.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Sarmiento View Post
                  PulseAudio is fine for most cases. jack is good but badly implemented, it doesn't works well for everything.
                  I can definitely agree with the Jack comment, but I don't like PulseAudio at all.

Comment

PA is not fine for most people. Give me one good reason why most people should have to deal with massive audio lag. There isnt one. Exactly why should most people have to listen to skips and pops in their applications? Why? How -exactly- do you justify that as being fine for most people?

EDIT: That's kind of arrogant to put that on most people don't you think? Wouldnt it be better then to NOT put that on most people?

EDIT2: And if you agree with me that it would be better to not put that on most people, then wouldnt it be better to NOT use PA?
                    Last edited by duby229; 15 May 2013, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I stopped reading at "PulseAudio", your going on my black list of people never to accept code contributions from. PulseAudio is garbage, a smart move would have been RtAudio,RtMidi and STK or just Jack or even PortAudio.

The blender foundation considered "PulseAudio" for about 2 sec's and confirmed it was a steaming pile of crap and whoever developed it should be shot in the head.

Even mentioning "PulseAudio" tells me you have never in your life done any form of serious "Audio Production" in anyway shape or form.

Excuse me while I go pound a bottle of scotch and and try and forget that you actually said "PulseAudio was great but ..." no no no PulseAudio was never ever great.
                      Come on, man... he was clearly being sarcastic. One of the common lines from the Canonical-haters is that they ruined PA's image by introducing it too early to their distro.

Comment

Working...
                      X