GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    They can't do a single harm to Linux kernel by submiting C code.
    Huh? Of course they can - they just need to submit some code that covers a patent. That's exactly the same fear people have of mono - that the code uses a patent.

They've already sued companies for using linux because of their FAT patent. I can assure you that the FAT filesystem is written in C code, not C#.

Comment

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
      Futhermore mono is MS controled and patented (unlike C).
      Ten years down, and a thousand bleating sheep, yet still nobody has pointed to a single Microsoft patent violated by Mono.

Meanwhile, those same bleating sheep continue to use Microsoft tech like AJAX, or standards which Microsoft claim to have some patents in, from DNS to HTTP to ping.

The patents line is a bullshit ruse from people who aren't honest enough to say "it doesn't matter what the legalities or licenses are, I consider this one thing out of many to be incurably tainted by my evil arch-nemisis Microsoft and therefore the ends of 'make nobody use it' is justified by the means of 'lie all the time'"

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
        D and go are not virtual machines based languages.2 virtual machines(python and mono) on the same systema wastes resources
        Python is a programming language, not a VM, and Mono is a VM + framework. If you wanted to, you could run Python on the Mono VM (using IronPython, which is open source, and ⓒ Microsoft IIRC). I think you can also run JavaScript on Mono, so that you can remove the current JavaScript VMs we have (at least 2 different ones on many systems). Oh, and you can also run PHP, Ruby and Java on the Mono VM, I think.

So, by saying that less VM engines would be best, you are actually claiming that we should all start to replace all current VMs with Mono.

I suggest you start to think first and write forum posts later...

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
          Mono is almost 100 times faster than Python. Do you want to doom the Linux desktop to slowness?
          Python is a programming language, while Mono is not, so you are comparing apples with orange crates. And of course you can run Python on Mono (just like you can transport apples in orange crates).

Comment

Originally posted by asdx
            This is Microsoft, they have destroyed everyone they have "partnered" with. Wake up.
            Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
            Usually those who partners with MS are either ending up on graveyard of technologies and/or by being bankrupts.
            Microsoft has also saved several partner companies; both Apple and Corel would probably not exist anymore without accepting huge investments by Microsoft when they were nearing bankrupcy.

Which doesn't mean they haven't "killed" off some competitors, they certainly did, and sometimes with dirty/illegal tactics, but it isn't true that they destroyed every company they partnered with. Actually, it looks more and more like Google and Apple are strangling Microsoft in markets that Microsoft owned before.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post

So, by saying that less VM engines would be best, you are actually claiming that we should all start to replace all current VMs with Mono.

No ,I don t like mono.Mono is a software based on standard controlled by microsoft.Mono is not a .NET alternative,because they not try to replace .NET but they try promote .NET for linux users and other people.
              I was trying to say mono boys want mono and python on same distribution.

What's the difference, from an end user perspective? MIT and GPL are both distribution licenses, they don't make a difference to you unless you plan on distributing that code.

Which resources specifically do you feel are being wasted?

This has worked fine for me in the past. Did you file bugs about your issues?
              Mono installs correctly,but .NET software dont detect mono as .NET alterntative.
              Copyleft licenses (or permissive copyleft liceses like LGPL) are better for community and users .I prefer LGPL or MPL in some cases .Like LibreOffice .

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
              Mono/.NET can compile down directly to machine code as well. It's a fairly common optimization tactic on Windows.
              Not a good solution.Compiled languages are better.Even Eiffel is better.Go and D have good compilers for linux.
              Last edited by lapis; 06 July 2012, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JanC View Post
                Microsoft has also saved several partner companies; both Apple and Corel would probably not exist anymore without accepting huge investments by Microsoft when they were nearing bankrupcy.
                To be honest I think world will be a better place without apple and I don't really care about corel. Apple basically did so much to invade privacy and uses so many restrictions and lock-ins that only complete idiot would like them. Everyone who haves working brain haves enough reasons to hate them. Just like nobody likes real-world dictators and tyrants.

Comment

GTK# for Microsoft.NET download
                  One simply provable falsehood in 0xBADCODE's ranting. How accurate is the rest?
                  Yes, f..k you mono. Die like silverlight and other worthless crap. Hopefully now it's clear enough. Ahh, M$ student partners and other M$ adepts are such a worthless and dumb nuts. Even MS basically ditched their .net in favor of HTML5, more or less. Yet some MS drones havent got idea they're wasting time learning worthless junk which is already obsoleted. I'm surprised to see how dumb some ppl could be.

How accurate is the rest?
                  You could be pretty sure I don't want to mess with third-rate MS technologies a lot so I have only basic knowledge. Why? I'm pretty sure Linux does not needs to compete with MS on the field where it can't win since MS is who selects rules of this game. So it's doomed to be unfair game. Good luck to miguel de icasa and other similar gnome nuts to win this game.

ECMA 335 section 24.2
                  Okay, my system is not compliant with this ancient crap and will never be. Just like it lacks support of IEEE V.32bis, RS-232, ISA bus or whatever ancient stuff I forgot. I care about MS-DOS and stubs just as much as I care about having dial-up modem with V.32bis compliance. Simple! Sure, MS can even approve yet another dialup modems standard, I wouldnt care anyway. I would still consider it outdated and dumb
                  Last edited by 0xBADCODE; 06 July 2012, 03:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 0xBADCODE View Post
                    To be honest I think world will be a better place without apple and I don't really care about corel. Apple basically did so much to invade privacy and uses so many restrictions and lock-ins that only complete idiot would like them. Everyone who haves working brain haves enough reasons to hate them. Just like nobody likes real-world dictators and tyrants.
                    He didn't argue that they were good, he argued that they are currently successful, which goes against the "Microsoft kill all partners" assertion, which is irrelevant to the article anyway since there's no partnership between GNOME and Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by lapis View Post
                      No ,I don t like mono.Mono is a software based on standard controlled by microsoft.
                      The .NET standard was written by the following:
                      • Eiffel Software
                      • Kahu Research
                      • Microsoft Corporation
                      • Novell Corporation
                      • Twin Roots
                      • Borland
                      • Fujitsu Software Corporation
                      • Hewlett-Packard
                      • Intel Corporation
                      • IBM Corporation
                      • IT University of Copenhagen
                      • Jagger Software Ltd.
                      • Monash University
                      • Netscape
                      • Phone.Com
                      • Plum Hall
                      • Sun Microsystems

How many of those are Microsoft, exactly?

Mono is not a .NET alternative,because they not try to replace .NET but they try promote .NET for linux users and other people.
                      Is PyPy a CPython alternative? Is LuaJIT a Lua alternative? Oh, wait, Mono is different because LOOK BEHIND YOU A THREE HEADED MONKEY

I was trying to say mono boys want mono and python on same distribution.
                      Why not? Perl and Python coexist without idiots shitting their pants.

Mono installs correctly,but .NET software dont detect mono as .NET alterntative.
                      Right, so? Which alternatives system does Windows provide which Mono could use, precisely?

Copyleft licenses (or permissive copyleft liceses like LGPL) are better for community and users .I prefer LGPL or MPL in some cases .Like LibreOffice .
                      Well, Mono's runtime is LGPL, so that's okay!

Not a good solution.Compiled languages are better.Even Eiffel is better.Go and D have good compilers for linux.
                      Eiffel? Christ, you're really happy to scrape the barrel to avoid good tech.

I repeat my earlier question: which projects can you name written in Go or D?

Comment

Working...
                      X