GNOME & Mono Made Love At Microsoft Last Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We had a really great time at the GNOME & Mono Festival of Love 2012

Just to be clear though, Microsoft had no influence what so ever on what we did nor what license we released things under. They did however kindly lend us a really nice room with smoking fast wifi and free soda, coffee e.g.. All without asking any questions or making any demands (aside a request for a polite thank you which frankly is the least any well raised human being would do in this situation).

Regardless we got a lot of really awesome work done, all of which you will see as it hits applications such as Banshee, Tasque, Tomboy and friends. We are on track to deliver more great stuff on more platforms, including GNOME3 and we had a fantastic time in the progress. We even had a little bit of fun in between sessions of hacking, such as taking silly pictures like me "worshipping" the Microsoft sign.

I post a report to the Foundation and our other sponsors here for those interested:

Comment

Originally posted by directhex View Post
      The point is, Microsoft played by the rules. They're playing in our sandbox.
      Microsoft had no intention of contributing the hyper-v drivers to Linux as they wanted to just provide the functionality through it's cloud service, however they made the mistake of distributing a network driver statically linked to GPL licenced code in their hyper-v and thus in violation of the licence. After realizing they had to open source this driver code Microsoft put on the big theatrics of doing this in some community spirit.

Nice. Microsoft has released the Hyper-V drivers as GPLv2 . I know was a hard step for Microsoft to take, since it means acknowledging GPL a...

It's the same old Microsoft.

Comment

Originally posted by XorEaxEax View Post
        Microsoft had no intention of contributing the hyper-v drivers to Linux as they wanted to just provide the functionality through it's cloud service, however they made the mistake of distributing a network driver statically linked to GPL licenced code in their hyper-v and thus in violation of the licence. After realizing they had to open source this driver code Microsoft put on the big theatrics of doing this in some community spirit.

Nice. Microsoft has released the Hyper-V drivers as GPLv2 . I know was a hard step for Microsoft to take, since it means acknowledging GPL a...

It's the same old Microsoft.
        Shipping .o files with header glue. Never seen that before. Except with NVIDIA or ATI or Highpoint. Of course, nobody shits their pants over those because they aren't OMGMICROSOFT.

Comment

Shipping .o files with header glue.
          How about you look up the term static linking?

Except with NVIDIA or ATI or Highpoint.
          If they shipped proprietary drivers statically linked to GPL code they would be in licence violation. What is your point?

Comment

How about you look up the term static linking?

If they shipped proprietary drivers statically linked to GPL code they would be in licence violation. What is your point?
            The linux-network-plumber analysis was wrong. I did the checking myself.

Comment

The linux-network-plumber analysis was wrong. I did the checking myself.
              LOL wut? Please point me to your findings!

Comment

LOL wut? Please point me to your findings!
                ... the comments of the post you linked to?

Comment

... the comments of the post you linked to?
                  Yes, someone does mention in the comment section that Stephen and Greg K H finds this Microsoft driver to be an obvious GPL violation, but also that Greg KH has gone on record saying 'nvidia-glx' is illegal aswell, which actually supports your notion that NVidia is (atleast in Greg K H's view) just as much in violation of GPL as Microsoft was. Of course unlike what you were trying to insinuate, it's not as if the kernel devs have any kind of love for NVidia and save their spite for Microsoft, I'd say they've been alot more outspoken regarding their negative fellings towards NVidia.

I'd love to have the source qoute where Greg says he thinks 'nvidia-glx' is illegal as it's good to have that as a reference, do you know where he said it?

Comment

Yes, someone does mention in the comment section that Stephen and Greg K H finds this Microsoft driver to be an obvious GPL violation, but also that Greg KH has gone on record saying 'nvidia-glx' is illegal aswell, which actually supports your notion that NVidia is (atleast in Greg K H's view) just as much in violation of GPL as Microsoft was. Of course unlike what you were trying to insinuate, it's not as if the kernel devs have any kind of love for NVidia and save their spite for Microsoft, I'd say they've been alot more outspoken regarding their negative fellings towards NVidia.

I'd love to have the source qoute where Greg says he thinks 'nvidia-glx' is illegal as it's good to have that as a reference, do you know where he said it?
                    Greg has repeated that contention a number of times, however I don't think he has ever actually consulted a lawyer on the matter. I can point you to a number of other developers, including, Linus who claims that the copyright in question is not infringed upon, largely Greg is on his own in terms of the high profile kernel developers claiming it is downright illegal (plenty of developers will, rightly, claim that it is crap and the cause of issues but completely within the limits of the GPLv2)

Comment

Thanks for the Link!

Comment

Working...
                      X