No announcement yet.

LL_10.04 has **not** exited low.beta status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ha ha ha I think I'll call an end to this exercise in Ubuntu self-healing. Yesterday upon boot, neither the LOGOUT nor the sound functions performed. Notification of those failures was **not** given. Let me make those failures very explicit.

1) the system would produce **no sound** whatsoever
    2) system **shutdown** commands did-not-exist on the LOGIN/LOGOUT screen. You had to do CLI to perform system shutdown

Yes I remain a faithful (poverty-stricken) casual Ubuntu lusr. No I expect no adaptive, usr-centric behavior from the OS. With all regards ...

Comment

the UBUNTU low-beta road-trip continues: sound-is-hosed

Gents:

It's been a while (months) since I checked-in with my Linux low-beta report. Like good whiskey a bad OS needs lots of "barrel-time" to show its true stripes.
      Today after various & extensive automagic system updates yesterday, I find the **sound** component of my UBUNTU_10.04LTS system no longer performs.

Sound worked just fine yesterday ... and I expect it will work just fine tomorrow. But. today ? OhMEOHmy like all low-beta systems one can never be sure which component is about to enter "failure-mode" and which recover from that non-functioning state.

Like all road-trips the good mixes with the bad. For example after 9 months my 28" HANNS-G monitor is still tooling away. What a deal that unit is!! And the cheeze-ball SCYTHE temp/fan monitor still glows bright blue/green ... you will remember I got that cause the Linux temp monitor proggie **never** was enabled for my MSI_gd90 mobo! Oh well ... it's like trying a booty-call on an ex-galpal -- you just never know what's going to show up.

Till next time then, JAXJOE wishing you the best 2nd rate CPU that AMD has to offer.

Comment

Ha HA! What did I say ... the UBUNTU sound is now back in full force. Yesterday I got the report that **no sound card** was installed.

Dumm dumm UBUNTU.

Today UBUNTU sees both my microphone and MSI_gd80 sound-port and the speakers bast just fine ... play BIG SCIENCE by Lauri Anderson till the window.glass breaks!

I do wonder if the ON/OFF function issue is hardware not software since MSI moboz have a slightly snarky reputation. But, I'm betting on a sightly screwed-up UBUNTU install that is unable to either recognize its own failure-mode ... or fix it once recognized.

BTW: During this entire sound-drama, the **shutdown** function variously appears and dis-appears from my LOGIN menu. Sometimes I can click-da-button ... while sometimes I must go to the CLI and type: sudo shutdown -h now ... blablabla.

Comment

Ha ha ha...

lots of low-beta crappola now. Ha hahaha. **Cheeze** da Camera man now crashes. Up and down puuuf! Sound gone away also. Ha hahaha. You could go stark raving **nuts** with this kinda low-beta behavior ... NUTz i say ... ha hahahahaha.....

Could not open device '/dev/video0' for reading and writing. [v4l2_calls.c(502): gst_v4l2_open (): /GstPipelineipeline1/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src1:
          system error: Permission denied]
          gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'Video for Linux 2 (v4l2)': Could not open device '/dev/video0' for reading and writing. [v4l2_calls.c(502): gst_v4l2_open (): /GstPipelineipeline3/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src2:
          gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'Video for Linux (v4l)': Could not open device "/dev/video0" for reading and writing. [v4l_calls.c(179): gst_v4l_open (): /GstPipelineipeline4/GstV4lSrc:v4lsrc1:
          gstreamer-properties-Message: Error running pipeline 'Video for Linux 2 (v4l2)': Could not open device '/dev/video0' for reading and writing. [v4l2_calls.c(502): gst_v4l2_open (): /GstPipelineipeline5/GstV4l2Src:v4l2src3:

Comment

Hmm... are you a bot or something? Your posts are so poorly written and so full of spelling and gramar errors, not to mention that strange habbit of using _ all the time, that it's hard to believe a person has been writing this. Seems more like random text gathered around forums put together. I also find it strange that someone is willing to spend so much time writing multiple posts claiming to have problems instead of just filling the damn bug reports. Also, if you are a person and are having problems with ubuntu why don't you just try some other distro? Or try to find the cause of the problem instead of posting these "status" reports everytime something aledgedly goes wrong. This simply doesn't make sense.

Comment

you snivel like a true byteboy excuse-maker

Originally posted by devius View Post
              Hmm... are you a bot or something? Your posts are so poorly written and so full of spelling and gramar errors, not to mention that strange habbit of using _ all the time, that it's hard to believe a person has been writing this. Seems more like random text gathered around forums put together. I also find it strange that someone is willing to spend so much time writing multiple posts claiming to have problems instead of just filling the damn bug reports. Also, if you are a person and are having problems with ubuntu why don't you just try some other distro? Or try to find the cause of the problem instead of posting these "status" reports everytime something aledgedly goes wrong. This simply doesn't make sense.
              Sniveling byteboy excuse-makers cannot hide bone-deep defects in the Ubuntu OS. Your 9-th grade bristly tripe is just another example of such excuses. My reports give an amusing and true reflection of a particular set of such OS defects as seen through the eyes of a casual , but experienced Ubuntu user. Consider me first a reporter -- like Drudge -- but of OS hubris and mendacity!

I have precious little interest in **fixing** Ubuntu. I pay opportunity costs to have that done for me -- if fixing the Linux rats.nest is even possible! I report the facts ... not wishful thinking. I am amused by casual yet preposterous failures that would **sink** a prime-time OS . What's that number again ... 0.98% of desk-top users use Linux? I wonder why. Think about that number ... 0.98% .. that's market judgment that Linux is a POS! It's developers truly deserve heavy flack! Should I supply my share?

Well look byteboy don't wonder. Get yo mama to wash yer skivies , and Just follow along with my reportage. Laugh away at the silly foolishness and chuckles a low-beta pretender like U_10.04LTS can provide.

Comment

What's this I see ... an automagically updated version of UBUNTU-OS ? Ha I wonder what works ... damme it appears that everything works... no can't be true at least CHEEZE gotta fail -- what's this? Full screen video ??

AS you can see I am astounded that all parts of my system now seem to work. I could make a list Printer/Vidcam/sound/LogOut/..... but, fear not I have been tricked before. Let's give it a dozen SHUTDOWNS and see how foozled the Ubuntu code becomes.

Comment

Ha HA ! The earth spins on its axis and the sun still shines. Woo hoo Ubuntu_x64-10.04-LTS is back to her ol' tricks. Jeeeez I wuz gonna get worried.

After one (1) day of perfect function and two reboots I've got **no** "logout" function listed in my login screen, and CHEESE crashes every time I try to call it out of its hidywhole. Woo hoo what a proggie! But, it's a clean fast crash BOOM! No messing around.

I understand COMPIZ failures have something to do with screen display failures on x64_Ubuntu. Been known for month & months. Mebby they should have **tested** the functions before allowing U_10.04 to escape from its low_beta cage? Eh? Oh that's right I forgot **WE** casual lusrs are the low_beta testers. Carry on .....

Comment

I am sorry but what are you trying to accomplish with these rantings about Ubuntu? Don't you have better time to spend? Nobody cares about your problems with Ubuntu, if you do not even care to give us prober debugging informations or doesn't even want to write a bug report.

Why don't you install a completely different OS like windows, if it works that bad for you.

(I guess I shouldn't have answered you at all, you know. Don't feed the troll ;-))

Comment

Originally posted by tball View Post
                      I am sorry but what are you trying to accomplish with these rantings about Ubuntu? Don't you have better time to spend? Nobody cares about your problems with Ubuntu, if you do not even care to give us prober debugging informations or doesn't even want to write a bug report.

Why don't you install a completely different OS like windows, if it works that bad for you.

(I guess I shouldn't have answered you at all, you know. Don't feed the troll ;-))
                      I did not ask for your drooling feel-good response. I am doing a good citizens duty. I am "standing my watch", and providing due-diligence and fair-warning to any namby-pamby lamby-pie newbee who passes by and sez ohmeohmy ain't UBUNTU wunnerful and is tempted to slam down his entire opportunity-cost-bank-account on the nose of UBUNTU.

My posts on Phoronix warn that lamby-pie newbee in the most concrete and amusing way possible ... think again, palsy!

Comment

Working...
                      X