MPV 0.38 Media Player Released With New Options & Fixes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
    Not as famous as VLC, but so much more performant and lighter.
    From what I've found VLC is something of a media victorinox (Swiss army knife) so its bloat and popularity is more unavoidable than anything else. Nothing else supports that number of media formats, features and platforms. Never had a video that hasn't played on VLC. Not so much on MPV. Lets not even get into running on every OS/platform under the sun or all those native features like video playback over networks or VR video. VLC isn't so much an application but a suite.

Not that I use VLC unless I need something that isn't on MPV, but VLC is an excellent fallback.

Comment

I get that MPV is lightweight, customizable, highly compatible, and performant, but a lot of people here act like VLC is somehow incompetent just because it's a little on the hefty side or perhaps doesn't play some bootlegged version of an obscure movie using a long dead codec. VLC does everything I've wanted it to do without having to adjust anything at all, and that has been the case for nearly 2 decades of me using it. I've tried MPV but felt the UI was a little too simplistic, and I've never liked media players where the controls appear on top of the video. Sure, perhaps there's a way to customize it to behave differently, but not in a way I found obvious.
      Bear in mind, I give MPV a shot once every 5 years or so. It does change a bit in that amount of time, but I just haven't found a compelling reason to switch away from VLC.

EDIT:
      Right now my only complaint about VLC is the UI doesn't scale well at 4K. I'm sure there's a solution to that, I just haven't looked.
      Last edited by schmidtbag; 18 April 2024, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Axl_Mas View Post
        I am using MPV with SMplayer front-end, for my needs it is the best couple!

Also. For many years now.
        At first, mplayer was used as a chassis. Later one could choose mplayer or mpv.
        Moreover, it is multi-platform.

What sometimes can't be properly set up on VLC, I click in SMPlayer and I have it.

I never understood the popularity of VLC. You set something and you have to restart it for the change to take effect.​

I feel a little sorry for the author of SMPlayer. He deserves the popularity of his product.
        Last edited by Rovano; 18 April 2024, 09:18 AM.

Comment

Huh, nobody mentioned awesome mpv-uosc (uosc as in micro OSC, micro On-Screen Controller):

---

Other than that sure, SMPlayer is great, I've used it on Шindoшs back in the days. It even has a specific touch-friendly mode or interface iirc. Easy recommendation for proper, full-featured click-and-clack MPV for anyone.
          Last edited by murlakatamenka; 18 April 2024, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by murlakatamenka View Post
            Huh, nobody mentioned awesome mpv-uosc (uosc as in micro OSC, micro On-Screen Controller)
            Didn’t know about it, seems nice! I might try that or smplayer again. Mostly need a gui just to be able to load subtitles, everything else I need I can do with keyboard shortcuts. The timeline thumnails/preview of uosc is nice though.

Comment

Which of these player CLIs / UIs support volume limiting / compressing easily? And / or is there lately some easy way to do that with the overall sound system pipewire, whatever?

The last I recall from years ago the nominal solution seemed to be messing with ladspa plugins / configurations for PA or some such thing
              which seemed a bit excessively intricate for what should be a common UI setting.

Comment

Originally posted by plandream View Post

There are still some ancient files that won't work on mpv. Only reason I have vlc installed.
                Fill a bugreport asap!

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
                  Which of these player CLIs / UIs support volume limiting / compressing easily? A
                  You can use any ffmpeg filter with mpv. There are ready-to-use scripts already:
                  acompressor - Dynamic range compressor using acompressor ffmpeg filter with controls to dynamically adjust parameters.
                  drcbox - Dynamic Audio Normalizer filter with visual feedback.

Look more scripts at https://github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/User-Scripts

Comment

Originally posted by ipsirc View Post

Fill a bugreport asap!
                    Is it worth it to fill a bug report for some ancient codecs?

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
                      Which of these player CLIs / UIs support volume limiting / compressing easily? And / or is there lately some easy way to do that with the overall sound system pipewire, whatever?

The last I recall from years ago the nominal solution seemed to be messing with ladspa plugins / configurations for PA or some such thing
                      which seemed a bit excessively intricate for what should be a common UI setting.
                      Limiter, compressor, convolver, equalizer and auto volume and many other plugins for PipeWire applications - wwmm/easyeffects
                      Last edited by Rovano; 19 April 2024, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X