LXQt 2.0 Released For Qt6 Desktop Port, Greater Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

That's the paradox of tolerance. If you or your community openly accept intolerance, the intolerance will dominate. A tolerant community can not persist, if they are accepting of intolerant people.
    So when are bullies like Drew Devault or "Lyude" getting kicked out of the "community"?

Comment

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post

Unfortunately this is not true regarding old hardware. Especially if there is only 3 GB or 4 GB memory present then KDE Plasma is acting super heavy. I can confirm this for an old Apple iMac5,1 computer which has 4 GB RAM installed but effectively only 3 GB is usable because of some strange Apple firmware limitation. When compared with KDE Plasma LXQT is running really super responsive. This is even more true for memory hungry applications like Firefox.

So yeah my conclusion is that as of 2024 LXQT is the way to go for old and weak hardware.
      How about reading the KDE minimum requirements first?

When I run KDE6 on a 15 year old AMD machine with 2GB of RAM, it runs like a slingshot.
      It takes up 1.3GB of RAM. Of course it runs fine even when I launch Firefox.

By the way, there is an old KDE4 on that machine, which has been working very well there for years.
      Last edited by Rovano; 18 April 2024, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by reba View Post

No it's not,it's different scaling for X and Wayland.

You have to export XCURSOR_SIZE=48 (or some value of 16/32/48/64) to a size matching the dpi so the cursor scales the same in X windows as in Wayland windows.
        I'm not using x11 on chromium, firefox, or mpv

EDIT xwayland
        Last edited by Quackdoc; 18 April 2024, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Rovano
          Yeah, on 15 years old hardware LXQT is still performing nicely while KDE "runs like a slingshot". This is even true for my 18 years old iMac 5.1 from 2006.

And by the way, both tested LXQT (Lubuntu 22.04) and KDE Plasma (Kubuntu 22.04) releases are based on Qt 5. So I am not comparing here some sort of unmaintained EOL software with a current one. LXQT is absolutely a present-day desktop environment which is designed along a minimalist concept but which is enough for me. Ergo Lubuntu 22.04 (from 2022) is performance-wise absolutely on par with Mac OS X 10.8 (from 2011), - the latest available OS from Apple for that system.
          Last edited by lorn10; 19 April 2024, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rovano View Post

How about reading the KDE minimum requirements first?

When I run KDE6 on a 15 year old AMD machine with 2GB of RAM, it runs like a slingshot.
            It takes up 1.3GB of RAM. Of course it runs fine even when I launch Firefox.

By the way, there is an old KDE4 on that machine, which has been working very well there for years.
            My main issue isn't so much about ram usage, I'm more concerned about system responsiveness, on plamsa apps take longer to open compared to lighter desktops like lxqt or xfce, a good example would be open kate and then open featherpad, featherpad opens up instantly, its especially noticeable on a low end system.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

That's the paradox of tolerance. If you or your community openly accept intolerance, the intolerance will dominate. A tolerant community can not persist, if they are accepting of intolerant people.
              It has nothing to do with tolerance. It has everything to do with the Hyprland dev not caving to RedHat's rules and threats. They tried telling him what he could and could not do with his own project, and how he needs to moderate his own discord. When he told them no, that he was an independent project, they banned him. He did nothing against the freedesktop.org rules, especially not on any platform owned by them. He just had the audacity to tell a RedHat employee "no".

I say this as somebody who doesn't even like Hyprland or it's developer. He should not have been banned.

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post

My main issue isn't so much about ram usage, I'm more concerned about system responsiveness, on plamsa apps take longer to open compared to lighter desktops like lxqt or xfce, a good example would be open kate and then open featherpad, featherpad opens up instantly, its especially noticeable on a low end system.
                Even on a high-end system like mine. I wouldn't say Kate doesn't open slowly, but FeatherPad just opens up instantly. And when/after opening a larger text file, Kate becomes sluggish and/or unusable, whereas FeatherPad and even Deepin Text Editor keep responsive. Okay, there's a point where DTE does slow down, but I have never once experienced that with FP.

(And FeatherNotes is another gem. Although you can slow down FN even on high-end hardware by making a page with >20.000 words in a bullet list, but to be fair: that's not what FN is designed for - you're supposed to make subnotes.)

Comment

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post
                  Rovano
                  Yeah, on 15 years old hardware LXQT is still performing nicely while KDE "runs like a slingshot". This is even true for my 18 years iMac 5.1 from 2006.

And by the way, both tested LXQT (Lubuntu 22.04) and KDE Plasma (Kubuntu 22.04) releases are based on Qt 5. So I am not comparing here some sort of unmaintained EOL software with a current one. LXQT is absolutely a present-day desktop environment which is designed along a minimalist concept but which is enough for me. Ergo Lubuntu 22.04 (from 2022) is performance-wise absolutely on par with Mac OS X 10.8 (from 2011), - the latest available OS from Apple for that system.
                  That's also a good point. It's not just about raw numbers or performance, it's also about the concept. You can say a lot of good things about KDE and usage on old hardware will vary, but the concept is just wildly different. You can tweak KDE to Kingdom Come, but you can't make it *exactly* like LXQt (or LiquidShell).

Comment

Originally posted by guzz46 View Post

I think I'm misunderstanding what you are suggesting, because that isn't telling you anything about the underlying DE if you open Kate on Plasma and Featherpad on lxqt. Opening Kate on both, or Featherpad on both, sure that's a valid comparison. Featherpad has a fraction of the features of Kate so its speediness is expected. Also, have you looked at window animation settings? Sometimes it can be surprising how much of the "zippiness" of the UI on one DE is due to the lack of fancy window animations for every state change.

Comment

Originally posted by pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx View Post

I think I'm misunderstanding what you are suggesting, because that isn't telling you anything about the underlying DE if you open Kate on Plasma and Featherpad on lxqt. Opening Kate on both, or Featherpad on both, sure that's a valid comparison. Featherpad has a fraction of the features of Kate so its speediness is expected. Also, have you looked at window animation settings? Sometimes it can be surprising how much of the "zippiness" of the UI on one DE is due to the lack of fancy window animations for every state change.
                      My point is KDE applications in general have more features so tend to take longer to open, dolphin vs pcmanfm-qt is another example, pcmanfm-qt opens instantly, logging into the desktop is faster in lxqt than plasma, kwin is a good window manager though, its actually pretty fast once you disable animations, but I prefer to use kwin with lxqt.

Comment

Working...
                      X