LXQt 2.0 Released For Qt6 Desktop Port, Greater Wayland Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So even LXQt got Wayland before Cinnamon huh

Congratulations to the developers of the project!!

I remember I used a lot (back when it was still LXDE) in a company I used to work, back then we used to install in the geriatric desktops the company made workers use at the time. A lot of DDR2 and Intel Celerons being used in production, thanks to the efficiency of Linux kernel and lightweight projects like this one.

Warms my heart seeing underfunded projects like this one being able to kept up with modern standards.

Comment

Originally posted by furtadopires View Post
      So even LXQt got Wayland before Cinnamon huh
      You can alpha-test Cinnamon on Wayland with Linux Mint 21.3. It is incomplete indeed, but so is LXQt.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post

You say it, with nothing to show. I remember some time ago phoronix doing roundup, and to everyone's surprise "light" lxde was heavier than plasma.
        LXDE =! LXQt

Comment

Originally posted by Kjell View Post

Hyprland is a joke

- Gaming has tremendously higher output latency which makes textures fuzzy with quick motion despite high FPS + VRR. Intermittent stutters aren't uncommon either.. (Performance between Sway and KDE is indistinguishable in my Ryzen 7950X + Radeon 7900XT).
          - XWayland apps are often blurry after launching (until you resize them).
          - Cursor changes size/re-renders between apps (it looks like it changes shape).
          - Problems with high resource usage are frequent.
          - Tearing mode is half-baked. The cursor runs at the same framerate as the game despite VRR and VSYNC being disabled.
          - Majority of the code is large chains of conditions, it's incomprehensible
          ​
          the cursor resizing between apps is because hyprland uses hyprcursor by default which not all apps respect/even know that it exists. More to the point, since the developer got himself banned from FDO hyprcursor is even less likely than it was before to become a free desktop standard - I think the name would've hurt its chances to begin with but stranger things have happened.
          It really is a shame he's banned. I'd of liked a more modern way to render cursors but its a joke if apps won't even respect it.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
            ... KDE Plasma is pretty lightweight as it is now, and to best of my understanding you cannot make it significantly lighter without ditching Qt.
            Unfortunately this is not true regarding old hardware. Especially if there is only 3 GB or 4 GB memory present then KDE Plasma is acting super heavy. I can confirm this for an old Apple iMac5,1 computer which has 4 GB RAM installed but effectively only 3 GB is usable because of some strange Apple firmware limitation. When compared with KDE Plasma LXQT is running really super responsive. This is even more true for memory hungry applications like Firefox.

So yeah my conclusion is that as of 2024 LXQT is the way to go for old and weak hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by lorn10 View Post

Unfortunately this is not true regarding old hardware. Especially if there is only 3 GB or 4 GB memory present then KDE Plasma is acting super heavy. I can confirm this for an old Apple iMac5,1 computer which has 4 GB RAM installed but effectively only 3 GB is usable because of some strange Apple firmware limitation. When compared with KDE Plasma LXQT is running really super responsive. This is even more true for memory hungry applications like Firefox.

So yeah my conclusion is that as of 2024 LXQT is the way to go for old and weak hardware.
              Why not run something like icewm? I put that on a machine with just 8GB of RAM and at starts it uses about 225MB of RAM. Not bad. This is with almost zero configuration because it comes stock from the AntiX iso once you install it. Previously OpenBSD on the same system would run at about 600MB of RAM with Xfce4 installed.

Comment

Originally posted by kylew77 View Post

Why not run something like icewm? I put that on a machine with just 8GB of RAM and at starts it uses about 225MB of RAM. Not bad. This is with almost zero configuration because it comes stock from the AntiX iso once you install it. Previously OpenBSD on the same system would run at about 600MB of RAM with Xfce4 installed.
                Many people don't like having just a WM. Trying to configure a ton of stuff (like app theming) is overly complicated and hard. Last time I used LXQt it only used about 450MB of RAM on boot+login. So for 200MB more RAM, you get significantly more usability in day to day tasks. Plus it just looks better IMO. Plus plus, if you want/need it for some reason, LXQt has some Wayland support now, whereas IceWM does not.

Comment

They released this official version that is supposed to be fully ported to Qt 6, except that QTerminal, qtermwidget and obconf-qt haven't been ported to Qt6. Now we need to have Qt 5 and Qt 6 on the same environment. Lovely!

Comment

Originally posted by Noitatsidem View Post

the cursor resizing between apps is because hyprland uses hyprcursor by default which not all apps respect/even know that it exists. More to the point, since the developer got himself banned from FDO hyprcursor is even less likely than it was before to become a free desktop standard - I think the name would've hurt its chances to begin with but stranger things have happened.
                    It really is a shame he's banned. I'd of liked a more modern way to render cursors but its a joke if apps won't even respect it.
                    Never heard of hyprcursor. It is interesting! But the inventor got a bit too much NIH syndrome. Their own "hyprlang" configuration language is not ground-breaking enough to worth existing. Its design is close enough to CSS that one may as well just use CSS. There is native variable construct in CSS now.

Comment

I'll have to play with this again. The last time I did was probably a few years ago now. At the time, it seemed fairly easy to get yourself into a qausi broken desktop state when messing around with the panel configuration. But something a bit more modern visually than Xfce and using QT is appealing, especially if that something is very widely well supported across distros.

Comment

Working...
                      X