Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6 Can Now Sync Your RGB-Backlit Keyboard With Your Desktop's Accent Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

I'm personally not a big fan of using another language in a language. But I can understand the appeal of it and it might save ton of time and resources. So happy to see all those options we got so far. We have already a few options like building Libraries that can be called from other programs. Or WebAssembly to run it on most systems in a web browser by writing once.

There is also Java... but who wants to program in Java in 2024?
    I never liked Java and spent over two decades contrasting it with Python by calling one "executable pseudocode" and the other "executable bureaucracy" in the tradition of the older comparison of calling Perl "executable line noise"... really goes to show you how much syntax can do to make strong typing palatable or unpalatable. I still judge a language by how pleasant it is to write it with only syntax highlighting and nothing you'd need a Language Server for.

As for Python+Rust, it's more that I want to write Rust, but I'm not willing to give up memory-safe QWidget bindings, Django's ecosystem, and something like Django ORM or SQLAlchemy+Alembico with a polished drudgery-reducing approach to writing schema migrations, so I wind up mixing the two languages when I have a component that I want to reuse outside those specific three cases.

(In the Qt case, I basically wind up creating a QWidget version of how C++ and QML fit together for Qt Quick or Kirigami... not that either of those can successfully get past the UI design uncanny valley but, if they could, MyPy in strict mode would still give me more type-checking than QML does.)

Once Rust solves those three cases, Python will probably be gone. (I'd say I'd keep using it for shell scripts, but now that I've got a new Ryzen system and the rustc devs are working on parallelizing the last bit of the build process that I can't do anything about, choosing Python over rust-script for build time on quick single-file hacks is mainly force of habit.)
    Last edited by ssokolow; 12 April 2024, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
      Once Rust solves those three cases, Python will probably be gone.
      I'm learned basics of Rust for the problems I had with Python. MyPy is nice, but its not strict enough like a real compiled language that takes every possible way into account. The biggest problem to me with Python is the distribution. And now in Rust I try to get GUI working with Fltk (small binary, no dependency), because Qt in Rust is even worse than it was in Python. Maybe I go back to Qt once I figured it out in Rust. Only speaking desktop PC and as a hobbyist, nothing professionally.

When mixing Python and Rust, you get the benefits of Python in Rust. Yes. But you also get the downsides and it makes the code more complicated and has more dependencies and spaghetti-sauce involved. Overall I still love using Python. It helps me get shit done quickly and efficiently (efficient in terms of time spent, problem solved).

Comment

Working...
      X