Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6 Can Now Sync Your RGB-Backlit Keyboard With Your Desktop's Accent Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
    However, it's stuck on that cold blue-white that cheap/early white LEDs have. If it had RGB LEDs, It'd be nice to have the brightness and color temperature of the keyboard match the brightness and color temperature of white white pixels on the screen.
    I know exactly what you mean and it would be nice to have that. My keyboard has this cheap white blue light too, which I can only control its brightness. I purchased it for being a mechanical keyboard and actually didn't care about the led keys. But the more I think the more cool effects could be done. In example if I hold a key modifier such as CTRL, then the keys that have a combination such as CTRL+c could light up c. Obviously this is not trivial, but it could be possible.

Comment

Not that i have any rgb hardware but for those that don't know ... Usually in /sys/class/led/ you can play around with leds by yourself. If i had a rgb keyboard i probably would have written some script or something that triggers a color on cpu overload, or a dmesg message/smart errors/ etc...

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        Usually in /sys/class/led/ you can play around with leds by yourself.
        My /sys/class/led/ directory is empty. But my keyboard is old too and its not really RGB (just single color).

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Who uses all that gaudy RGB crap anyways? I can't imagine anyone older than 12 being enticed by all these silly colored lights.
          I thought RGB was silly, but when I needed to shop for a new ergonomic keyboard the Kinesis Freestyle Edge RGB mechanical was as close to perfect for my needs as I could find. You can turn off the RGB with a single key press if you want to, but I actually found that I liked having a splash of color in my home office. I'm in there all damn day for work, may as well make it a little more fun. The advanced configuration stuff is even stored in plain text files on the device, how "Linuxy" is that?

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
            Who uses all that gaudy RGB crap anyways? I can't imagine anyone older than 12 being enticed by all these silly colored lights.
            I use mechanical keyboards for ages and most of them come with rgb. Although it's not the selling point for me, it's fun to have it. So yes, this is a cool kde feature.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
              My 3 cents:
              • Spectacle: I'm happy to see and can say that Spectacle is really good now. It's live cropping functionality and instant upload to imgur with share link was the main hold backs to me. I always preferred flameshot, but now Spectacle caught up and is even better (even providing simple video recording too, if I want quickly stuff done). The live editing with arrows and other stuff can be rearranged at any time. To me its a killer app now.
              Spectical has done that for a long while, Cropping/upload to numerous places.

They did change the layout relatively recently which I'm still unsure if I like or not

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                On my keyboard I have it set to do a reaction effect when I hit the keys. It acts as a visual confirmation that I pressed my keys.
                That's dope!

Which programs/scripts do you use to achieve this?

Comment

Does the RGB lighting only work on laptops?
                  For my regular PC I have a RGB capable keyboard for subtle background lighting in the dark to see the keys.
                  If it could change the colors to fit my desktop without boosting the intensity, it would be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post

My /sys/class/led/ directory is empty. But my keyboard is old too and its not really RGB (just single color).
                    In the computer I'm using now is "/sys/class/leds/" (with a final "s"), if that may be useful.

Comment

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
                      In the computer I'm using now is "/sys/class/leds/" (with a final "s"), if that may be useful.
                      Oh okay it was a type (Edit: The irony, that I had a typo when I wanted type typo...) then. Well my keyboard uses some special software/driver to setup its functionality and does not expose its leds to that folder. But thanks for the note and correction. For me it's just (it's a Roccat kb using since many years):

```
                      $ ls /sys/class/leds/
                      input24::capslock input24::kana input24::scrolllock input28::numlock
                      input24::compose input24::numlock input28::capslock input28::scrolllock​
                      ```
                      Last edited by byteabit; 07 April 2024, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X