Inkscape Development Version Switches To Using GTK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lumks View Post
    Why do people still not get that libadwaita is not part of GTK and that the default GTK theme still looks like adwaita of GTK3?

I'm very happy for Inkscape switching to more modern implementation and hopefully at some day can be accelerated with this change <3
    Because that opposes their convoluted conspiracy theory. All their hate is either against GTK 4's "inferior" text rendering or libadwaita. That their "arguments" are absolutely baseless is obviously ignored because they couldn't have any reason to hate against Gnome and GTK anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Not the way UNIX works. One application is to do one thing and do that right. And vector graphics editing and raster graphics editing is just completely different. So there wouldn't be any benefit for anybody. Besides the fact that non of the GIMP developers know that much about vector graphics and vice versa, so a fork simply isn't viable to begin with. But nobody's stopping you to create a fork of either and unify the GUIs yourself. Nobody else will do it as there is simply not enough interest.
      Linux means "LInux Is Not Unix" though I just did not want to see GIMP is going the way of dodo. This could be a development of a suit of applications like Adobe does with Illustrator and Photoshop, or whatever they call them now. But this is open source; things will happen in the way developers choose. We will see. Krita has both vector and raster layers. Who knows they might do what I would like to see, and with QT6 which I would prefer over GTK.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

Facepalm. Are you really that stupid or are you just a troll?

An OS which components don't have backward compatibility deserves its 2% on the market.

But I think it's some kind of intentional sabotage of GNU/Linux distros.

Sigh, you're just a troll. I've been running Linux commercially in business for over 25 years. I've been using GTK apps (from version 1.0 thru 4.x). Do you know how much the stuff you're ranting about has affected our business in that time? Negligibly. I've seen the same issues with apps regardless of what toolkit they're based on, or even what OS they're made for.

The apps that have given me the most headaches for backwards compatibility over the years is, hands down, Microsoft Office.

Comment

Originally posted by logical View Post
          Sigh, you're just a troll. I've been running Linux commercially in business for over 25 years.
          And I own Monsterovich Corp. and I was experiencing constant problems from GTK: low performance when running ssh -X with GTK3 apps, inconsistency between CSD and window manager, theme incompatibility, sh*tty file picker and so on. So everything you say is nonsense, you are just a user of the "default system" without any customization.
          Last edited by Monsterovich; 26 March 2024, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

Not the way UNIX works. One application is to do one thing and do that right. And vector graphics editing and raster graphics editing is just completely different. So there wouldn't be any benefit for anybody. Besides the fact that non of the GIMP developers know that much about vector graphics and vice versa, so a fork simply isn't viable to begin with. But nobody's stopping you to create a fork of either and unify the GUIs yourself. Nobody else will do it as there is simply not enough interest.
            GIMP already breaks the Unix philosophy as it does many things.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

GIMP already breaks the Unix philosophy as it does many things.
              and im sure many would argue that it does none good to boot xD

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

I wouldn't trust krita for any professional work out side of stuff you create yourself per project, I still haven't found a way to reliably composite in linear which messes up mixing and matching various things.

to showcase why this is an issue here are images of krita and gimp, with both images, you create two layers, on the first layer is a red star with blur applied, and the second layer is just a cyan image, you can see that krita erroneously adds a "black border" of sorts. so krita for some reason cannot composite the layers properly, and I haven't found a way to properly fix this as there was a layers blend linear mode that did nothing

https://files.catbox.moe/bzab5a.png
                You're blending in the wrong color space. I don't know krita, but I'd expect there to be a setting to change that somewhere. You can look up "alpha compositing perceptual color space" - if you enter your two colors here (https://raphlinus.github.io/color/20...-critique.html) then you'll see that sRBG doesn't really align with what a human would expect. I know I haven't provided a solution but I hope I've pointed you in the right direction at least.

Comment

Originally posted by fallingcats View Post

You're blending in the wrong color space. I don't know krita, but I'd expect there to be a setting to change that somewhere. You can look up "alpha compositing perceptual color space" - if you enter your two colors here (https://raphlinus.github.io/color/20...-critique.html) then you'll see that sRBG doesn't really align with what a human would expect. I know I haven't provided a solution but I hope I've pointed you in the right direction at least.
                  yes I am aware as I mentioned krita has a linear mode I tried and it did nothing

Comment

Originally posted by logical View Post

I've been using GTK apps (from version 1.0 thru 4.x).
                    No distribution today bundles GTK1. Or Qt1 or Qt2.

Linux "backwards compatibility" is a myth and a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

Linux means "LInux Is Not Unix" though
                      And nobody cares. Most of the most fundamental pieces are directly ported from Unix systems.

I just did not want to see GIMP is going the way of dodo. This could be a development of a suit of applications like Adobe does with Illustrator and Photoshop, or whatever they call them now. But this is open source; things will happen in the way developers choose.
                      One thing has nothing to do with the other. If you don't want GIMP to fade away - and there's nothing indicating this, on the opposite - the worst thing you can do is force Inkscape devs to deal with it. You need developers with knowledge of both modern image manipulation and programming for Linux, Windows and macOS. Nothing more, nothing less. Maybe except some funding.

Krita has both vector and raster layers.
                      So does Gimp, with the difference that Gimp converts everything to raster graphics. But Krita also shows why this is a bad idea. To my experience, Krita can do the job of Inkscape and Gimp, but it can't really replace either. Gimp still has the better raster image manipulation capabilities, Inkscape has the better vector graphics creating and manipulating capabilities. And they can easily work together. Gimp can import and export paths as svg, Inkscape can import and export raster graphics.

Comment

Working...
                      X