Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inkscape Development Version Switches To Using GTK4

Phoronix: Inkscape Development Version Switches To Using GTK4

The latest upstream development code for the Inkscape vector graphics program has transitioned to using the GTK4 toolkit...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I hate gtk >= 3

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
      I hate gtk >= 3
      I think we have all figured that out by now.

You spend all your life filled with hate and focussing on things you dont like.

I would have thought you would prefer to be happy and run freely in the fields of the posts on KDE6 or Cosmic, or some Window manager, but alas you pollute our existence with your hate instead.

Comment

im glad that gimp is switching to gtk4

Comment

GTK4 is still not great, but it's leagues better then GTK3, I hope it works well my tablet now

Comment

In the meantime, GIMP avoids working on it. It's not necessary yet, but wouldn't it be better to be on the latest version already?

Comment

Originally posted by iruoy View Post
              In the meantime, GIMP avoids working on it. It's not necessary yet, but wouldn't it be better to be on the latest version already?
              They are in the process of getting out a version they have spent an extraodinarily long time developing. I can see why they wont want to suddenly throw the release process away to start updating to a new version of gtk that may push the release out by another year or few.

Comment

I assume they'd rather just wait for GTK5 at this point. Hopefully it won't be that many breaking changes, so that updating to that isn't too painful/massive of an undertaking

Comment

Originally posted by You- View Post
                  They are in the process of getting out a version they have spent an extraodinarily long time developing. I can see why they wont want to suddenly throw the release process away to start updating to a new version of gtk that may push the release out by another year or few.
                  I didn't realize it hadn't been released yet. I read a long time ago that the transition was complete.

Comment

I didn't realize it hadn't been released yet. I read a long time ago that the transition was complete.
                    https://twitter.com/zemarmot/status/1646272510701236229
                    The gtk3 port might have been completed, but they had other things to do before completing version 3.

They also needed to complete a new plugin API (gimp 2 is python 2.x, which is EOL) and completed the port away from 8 bit color representations. The latter was only bought close to completion recently.

They also implemented an initial version of Non destructive editing.

It was announced late last year their aim for release was early May 2024, to coincide with some graphics based conference or event. I am not sure if they are still on track though, but if they miss that target it will likely not be by much.

Comment

Working...
                    X