• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post
    I hate gtk >= 3
    Who cares?

Comment

Fine. I'm glad to read that the next major application is switching
      This seems to happen faster than with Gtk3.

I assume Gimp will be the last one switchting to Gtk4. Right

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_44 View Post
        I feel like they straight-up don't care about Linux, you can tell by their mentality not to include advanced stuff because "the user doesn't understand" when the request is a simple "add estimation of filesize based on what's been encoded".
        Is that even available on any platform? At least I can't remember seeing it on Windows. But maybe that has been added later.

The only thing that I don't like about Handbrake is that it doesn't support VA-API, so to my knowledge Hardware Acceleration on AMD chips isn't really an option. There is support for AMF, but trying to figure out how to install that on just any distro is a royal pain. But sadly there doesn't really seem to be any alternative - besides just writing a shell script that uses ffmpeg...

Comment

Originally posted by hsci View Post
          Fine. I'm glad to read that the next major application is switching
          This seems to happen faster than with Gtk3.

I assume Gimp will be the last one switchting to Gtk4. Right
          Since there are still a few GTK+ 2 apps out there with no (public) roadmap to move to anything else, it actually won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Im not sure what issues you are having, but at least for the gtk4 applications im using theming (under cosmic) and fonts have been fine
            The issues usually cited are missing subpixel rending (apart from greyscale). Also, an issue that Gnome devs just admitted by fixing was unreliable subpixel positioning. I've never noticed any issues either, but I'm also not someone doing any pixel peeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post

The issues usually cited are missing subpixel rending (apart from greyscale). Also, an issue that Gnome devs just admitted by fixing was unreliable subpixel positioning. I've never noticed any issues either, but I'm also not someone doing any pixel peeping.
              ah I see, yeah that stuff is beyond me, my eyes aren't good enough to tell good subpixel rendering in the first place and since I run on a 4k monitor I have no need to care.

Comment

I wish Inkscape would team up with the GIMP team (or take it over, fork) to make a complete graphics suite with consistent user interface and capabilities. GIMP seems to be a dying project that just could not.

Comment

I found that themes were fine, MATE is nowhere near GTK4 port, that remains to be seen if it's good or bad, I'm concerned about distros dumping GTK3 too early due to Redhat/Gnome pushing for it. Most things I dislike in GTK4 you can work around by rolling your own. e.g FileChooser, just make your own file open/close dialogs and call them. No reason you have to use the GTK inbuilt one. It's the stuff that you can't easily hack around that concerns me. Not having sliders on tray icons is really bad it breaks workflow and volume/brightness adjustment tools. I also don't like how the GNOME2/MATE desktops were basically perfectly functional/with good UIs to use compared to Windows/Mac and they are now functionally broken because Wayland conversion happened to happen around the same time GTK dumped a bunch of features. Trying to run a modern MATE desktop on Wayland is like pulling teeth. The MATE desktop is under-resourced. If I could give them $5 million to make the issues go away I would. I understand that some of this is just time and the projects will catch up to Wayland, but man It's such a far cry from 2008 when it felt like Linux could conquer the Windows desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                    I wish Inkscape would team up with the GIMP team (or take it over, fork) to make a complete graphics suite with consistent user interface and capabilities. GIMP seems to be a dying project that just could not.
                    Not the way UNIX works. One application is to do one thing and do that right. And vector graphics editing and raster graphics editing is just completely different. So there wouldn't be any benefit for anybody. Besides the fact that non of the GIMP developers know that much about vector graphics and vice versa, so a fork simply isn't viable to begin with. But nobody's stopping you to create a fork of either and unify the GUIs yourself. Nobody else will do it as there is simply not enough interest.

Comment

Why do people still not get that libadwaita is not part of GTK and that the default GTK theme still looks like adwaita of GTK3?

I'm very happy for Inkscape switching to more modern implementation and hopefully at some day can be accelerated with this change <3

Comment

Working...
                      X