Inkscape Development Version Switches To Using GTK4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Delta_44 View Post

As much as I like those type of comments, let's be honest: GTK 4 in dark mode, at least for me, is very... UGH.
    For example, I saw HandBrake becoming this weird "shades of grey" instead of the "consistent gray" that GTK 3 theming was.

Skill issue maybe?
    I'm open to suggestion and opinions.
    To my knowledge, GTK 4 on Handbreak is deemed broken until they find the time to actually do the port. Last I checked it wouldn't even compile when set to GTK 4. So clearly this doesn't say anything.

EDIT: Well, OBS uses GTK4 and I think it's beautiful, so ultimately I think that HandBrake devs just don't give a shit about "LinGUI".
    OBS never has and never will use GTK. v30 is based on Qt 6.

Comment

Originally posted by Monsterovich View Post

Facepalm. Are you really that stupid or are you just a troll?

An OS which components don't have backward compatibility deserves its 2% on the market.

But I think it's some kind of intentional sabotage of GNU/Linux distros.
      You are the troll here.
      1. it's 4 % on the desktop alone and most likely far beyond 80 % overall
      2. backwards compatibility on Linux is far beyond that of macOS, which has 15 %. So your ridiculous rants just don't work if you can't even get such simple facts right.

Comment

Originally posted by Delta_44 View Post
        EDIT: Well, OBS uses GTK4 and I think it's beautiful, so ultimately I think that HandBrake devs just don't give a shit about "LinGUI".
        AFAIK OBS is (still) Qt, not gtk, so your original theming position still stands. (they like the gnome HIG but dont have the expertise to migrate or maintain gtk versions of their software. Over time their design language may move closer to gnome, but without moving to gtk).

Not liking a theme is a valid preference. I dont really have a preference on this issue as I normally use the defaults so I havent used the dark theme enough to form any opinion.
        Last edited by You-; 25 March 2024, 06:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Artim View Post
          OBS never has and never will use GTK. v30 is based on Qt 6.
          Heh, that's why it's so consistent, thanks for the heads up.

Originally posted by Artim View Post
          To my knowledge, GTK 4 on Handbreak is deemed broken until they find the time to actually do the port. Last I checked it wouldn't even compile when set to GTK 4. So clearly this doesn't say anything.
          I feel like they straight-up don't care about Linux, you can tell by their mentality not to include advanced stuff because "the user doesn't understand" when the request is a simple "add estimation of filesize based on what's been encoded".

Comment

Have font rendering and theme compatibility with GTK3 been fixed yet?
            Im not sure what issues you are having, but at least for the gtk4 applications im using theming (under cosmic) and fonts have been fine

Comment

RIP

Now that's not productive software.

Thanks, no.
              I just watched a video with LibreOffice using gtk4. Looks great i think.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post

Im not sure what issues you are having, but at least for the gtk4 applications im using theming (under cosmic) and fonts have been fine
                You didn't expect the question to be in good faith did you? You should know phoronix better.

Comment

Originally posted by asriel View Post
                  And that's really opens questions -was there any reason to drop class QRegExp and inrosuce QRegularExpression between Qt5 and Qt6?
                  Huh?

The QRegExp class provides pattern matching using regular expressions.

Comment

Huh?

The QRegExp class provides pattern matching using regular expressions.

qt5compat is there to facilitate porting, not for sticking to deprecated APIs. QRegExp will likely get completely removed by Qt 7.

Comment

Originally posted by cend View Post

qt5compat is there to facilitate porting, not for sticking to deprecated APIs. QRegExp will likely get completely removed by Qt 7.
                      In case you are worried, QRegularExpression was already in Qt 5, QRegExp was deprecated due to problems:

I see there is a new class for regular expressions - QRegularExpression. Is it just a typedef for QRegExp, or a new class, or what? And why do we need it, we already have QRegExp?

Comment

Working...
                      X