Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CoreCtrl 1.4 Brings Radeon RX 7000 Series Fan Curve Controls, Intel CPU Temperatures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CoreCtrl 1.4 Brings Radeon RX 7000 Series Fan Curve Controls, Intel CPU Temperatures

Phoronix: CoreCtrl 1.4 Brings Radeon RX 7000 Series Fan Curve Controls, Intel CPU Temperatures

CoreCtrl 1.4 was released this weekend as the newest version of this open-source, independently-developed GUI utility for managing CPU and GPU performance characteristics and power/thermal monitoring under Linux, among other capabilities. CoreCtrl does a good job at offering basic GUI-driven controls and monitoring for CPUs and GPUs in the absence of any official GUI solutions by the likes of AMD and Intel...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Btw: Recently stumbled over the most annoying bug: When you set power1_cap after you have set values in pp_od_clk_voltage, the changes in the latter are ignored. The other way round works. No idea if this has ever been different on RDNA3 (but wasn't that way on RDNA2) or if this is some fallout of the recent ingenious changes of the power target restrictions...

Comment

Originally posted by aufkrawall View Post
      No idea if this has ever been different on RDNA3 (but wasn't that way on RDNA2) or if this is some fallout of the recent ingenious changes of the power target restrictions...
      Yep, that exactly. It is a shame that we have such a great tool to tune our cards, and then AMD steps in to cripple the driver. Possible workarounds are to use a patch to enable override (included on latest Arch linux-zen kernel), or upp to override the min value in the PP table (works on cards up to RDNA2, AMD intentionally crippled that API in RDNA3 firmware).

Comment

I wasn't referring to the power limit setting being more restricted itself, but maybe the change to do so (potentially) having regressed setting pp_od_clk_voltage if both configured in the "wrong" order.

Comment

Why the hell AMD doesn’t release the Adrenaline suite in Linux?

i like them, but this bs sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

Because some of the features under the "Record and Stream" and "Smart Technology" tabs have proprietary bits, some of the features under "Graphics" and "Display" require being tied into the window manager and/or have proprietary bits (like HDR, desktop upscaling scaling, AA/AF, Chill, AFMF, etc), and the rest of what it offers is already available on Linux in the form of programs like Corectrl, the KDE or GNOME Settings software, OBS, etc.

It's not ideal and it's my biggest issue using AMD on Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
              Because some of the features under the "Record and Stream" and "Smart Technology" tabs have proprietary bits
              That sounds a bit like an excuse (and is likely not the official "reason").

They could release the suite either in parts or in full as proprietary software.
              Or disable the UI bits for these features.

It is probably more likely an exercise in expectation management: if customers could directly compare the features on Linux and other platforms, they would be aware of the missing features and would expect AMD to work on them.

With the current approach only advanced users like yourself are aware, removing pressure from achieving feature parity.

On one hand annoying for advanced multi-platform users, on the other hand enabling the development of much needed cross-vendor tools like CoreCtrl

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post

I'd rather have them invest more in core driver stack than a gimmicky UI nonsense. Simple CLI tool or config file for configuring high level GPU features is enough. For me anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by anda_skoa View Post

That sounds a bit like an excuse (and is likely not the official "reason").

They could release the suite either in parts or in full as proprietary software.
                  Or disable the UI bits for these features.

It is probably more likely an exercise in expectation management: if customers could directly compare the features on Linux and other platforms, they would be aware of the missing features and would expect AMD to work on them.

With the current approach only advanced users like yourself are aware, removing pressure from achieving feature parity.

On one hand annoying for advanced multi-platform users, on the other hand enabling the development of much needed cross-vendor tools like CoreCtrl
                  This is one of the few things that genuinely upsets me with AMD and can make me go off on a rant.

Around the launch of the RX 580 I had a discussion with bridgman about how AMD needs to put an asterisk next to Linux and all the things that Linux doesn't support. Half a decade later and AMD still advertises their GPUs as having feature parity between Windows 10, 11, and Linux. They advertise Linux supporting both Ubuntu x86 64-Bit & a generic "Linux x86 64-Bit" while their Pro tools and drivers only work on Ubuntu, SLED, and RHEL (Scroll to the bottom). Some of their pages for individual features mention specific operating system support (Boost) while others don't make any mention of the OS at all (VSR).

It's obvious they know what features support what operating system, but at the same time they lump so much in together that it blurs the lines of where they support what. IMHO, the product support pages are the worst thing that AMD does because they don't even bother including the fine print about how you'll be limited as a Linux user or to make an OS feature matrix so we can learn it all in a glance. You have to buy your GPU and find out the hard way that AMD is a bit misleading in regards to product support because even if you go to every single page for every single feature and read the fine print, you'll still not know for sure because they don't include the fine print everywhere.

That upsets me the most because either they're intentionally blurring the lines to make it seem like their products are more capable than they really are or their documentation and legal review people are just that incompetent. Their feature pages have been using the same format for at least a decade, I brought it up 5 years ago until I got tired of mentioning it, so I don't see any other reasons other than AMD is misleading us or they're incompetent.

I suppose it could be a bit of both, but I'm leaning towards incompetent. A competent (Linux) manager would highlight what AMD doesn't officially support and then use things like Gamescope, WINE, Lutris, etc to show how the Linux community has come together to support AMD. It seems like AMD management limits what AMD's Linux and FOSS people can actually say and do. Ironic that I say that while I'm at-ing someone from AMD, but being able to shoot the shit with AMD fans is different than having permission to update product pages or to be able to say everything with us.

In case anybody is curious I made a list of what features AMD offers why we don't have them on Linux to the best of my knowledge:
                  • AMD Software: Adrenalin Edition -- See Below
                  • AMD FidelityFX™ Super Resolution -- Wayland/WM (1.0 is part of WINE, Gamescope, and other projects) -- Open Source
                  • AMD Noise Suppression -- Proprietary
                  • AMD Radeon™ Super Resolution -- Wayland/WM
                  • AMD Smart Access Memory -- Proprietary
                  • AMD Smart Access Video -- Proprietary
                  • VSR(4K) -- Wayland/WM
                  • AMD Privacy View -- Proprietary
                  • AMD Radeon™ Boost -- Wayland/WM (possibly proprietary, too)
                  • AMD Radeon™ Anti-Lag -- Proprietary
                  • AMD Radeon™ Image Sharpening -- Wayland/WM (is part of Gamescope, Lutris, and anything else that offers CAS) -- Open Source
                  • AMD Enhanced Sync Technology -- Proprietary
                  • AMD FreeSync™ Technology -- Available on supported Linux desktop environments -- Mostly Open Source/Proprietary (HDMI limitations)
                  • AMD Radeon™ Chill -- ???
                  • AMD Virtual Super Resolution -- Wayland/WM

I don't know why we don't have Chill since it's an FPS limiter tied to a thermal sensor.

Everything labeled as Wayland/WM has to be done within a window manager like KWin, Mutter, or Gamescope.

Proprietary includes patents, CODECs, other legal things where AMD may have only paid for Windows support, and AMD secrets.

Comment

This is one of the few things that genuinely upsets me with AMD and can make me go off on a rant.
                    Nothing wrong with a bit of ranting if it contains so much valuable information

Around the launch of the RX 580 I had a discussion with bridgman about how AMD needs to put an asterisk next to Linux and all the things that Linux doesn't support.
                    On one hand I can see the value of having explicit information on feature support, on the other hand it might deter potential customers who might not even need those.

I can also imagine that it would be a somewhat moving target if it depends on version combinations of maybe components (driver, kernel, OS release, Mesa, etc.)
                    It could end up with dozens or even hundreds of footnote numbers instead of simple "supported on Linux" asterisks.
                    You'd probably need structured data and a query/filter interface to be actually useful for an end user.

It's obvious they know what features support what operating system, but at the same time they lump so much in together that it blurs the lines of where they support what.
                    Right. As I said before the absence of the Adrenaline suite is more likely caused by the need to keep this blurriness than any specific technology's requirements.

A sort of "unfortunate ambiguity" that allows the to plan their priorities rather than having them "dictated" by bad publicity.

For example allowing them to prioritize features needed by Steam Deck over AI.
                    If Valve (and their customers) are happy, the next iteration will again be designed around AMD.
                    The AI market is much harder and would require much more effort because Nvidia had such a head start.

Just a guess obviously

make an OS feature matrix so we can learn it all in a glance. You have to buy your GPU and find out the hard way
                    I wonder if third party review sites like Phoronix could compile and update such a thing

That upsets me the most because either they're intentionally blurring the lines to make it seem like their products are more capable than they really are or their documentation and legal review people are just that incompetent.
                    My guess is the former rather than the latter.

In case anybody is curious I made a list of what features AMD offers why we don't have them on Linux to the best of my knowledge:
                    Impressive list, thank you!
                    Have to admit I hadn't even heard about some of those before

Can you clarify what you mean with "we don't have them on Linux" as some of the items seem to mention Linux implementations?

I don't know why we don't have Chill since it's an FPS limiter tied to a thermal sensor.
                    Maybe that has already sufficiently good enough support through 3rd party tools?

Proprietary includes patents, CODECs, other legal things where AMD may have only paid for Windows support, and AMD secrets.
                    I wouldn't put it past patent holders to explicitly deny licenses for usage on Linux, though this might not last very long given the markets such as embedded, entertainment systems, handheld gaming, etc are either already Linux dominated or moving into that direction

Comment

Working...
                    X