KDE Developers Are Currently Seeing 150~200 Bug Reports Per Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nth_man View Post
    In the original article is written: "It means that people are using the software! Most of the bug reports actually not about KDE issues at all: graphics driver issues, bugs in themes, and bugs in 3rd-party apps. And many are duplicates of existing known issues, or really weird exotic issues only reproducible with specific combinations of off-by-default settings."
    > Most of the bug reports actually not about KDE issues at all: graphics driver issues
    > graphics driver issues

its 2024 - GPU in linux barellly working.
    All gpus - include Nvidia - Nvidia forum have 10-20 new bug-threads every day from Linux users alone, Nvidia open-kernel module github same.
    AMD and intel are just unusable in reality, idk what is it.
    It is 2024 btw
    ye 2024

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post
      that so stupid. that means you are happier when a software has more bugs.
      what should be a good thing is "having more bugs fixed" and even this is not a very good thing since that means the software still have bugs
      Perhaps surprisingly, the amount of bug reports for a software is uncorrelated to the amount of bugs themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post
        I'm not sure you actually understand that KDE is a community of volunteers and not a company with employees, but okay, I'll bite. Go ahead and try your idea! Fork the codebase of every KDE repo, hire those people to fix all the bugs with no feature work, and then sell the result within the context of a commercial shell that you set up and run. Nothing's stopping you.

Seriously, do it. If you succeed, it will be amazing.

What's stopping you?
        As i pointed out, the problems KDE has is because it "a community of volunteers and not a company with employees", the organization can get away with releasing software that would never be accepted if it was a for profit company.

As for what's stopping me, the GPL is stopping me. I have no intention of spending time and money fixing other peoples' buggy software just to have to release the properly functioning code for your project to benefit.

Release a fork of KDE under a commercially friendly license where i get to reap the rewards of my work and money and I will be happy to show you and everyone else how it's done.

The ball is in your court.

Comment

Ok, I see the problem now: you bought a plum when you wanted an orange, and now you feel the need to rail against plums for being terrible oranges, instead of just buying an orange.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
            24K bugs is alarming but what matters more is the metadata behind them and how quickly they're being squashed.
            The are not being squashed, as the article makes clear they are growing at a rate of 150 to 200 a day.

BTW, for those that don't know, these bugs also represent security vulnerabilities or attack vectors.

When you want to write a virus what you do is you read the developers' documentation provided by the software vendor and you look for legitimate functionality to exploit for nefarious means. That's one avenue, another is you look at bug reports that show unexpected or unwanted behavior to ordinary usage.

Then you have a plan of attack and you try and write code to exploit your target system.

In the case of KDE you have 24,000, and counting, ways to screw up someone's system.

And in case you think Linux based OS are somehow immune, I point you to Metasploitt that has 464 active exploits for Linux or all the malicious apps that show up in the Snap store on a regular basis.

.People apologizing for KDE does not change the fact that this is a huge issue.

Comment

Originally posted by ngraham View Post

I agree it's still too high, but another thing to remember is that this is across all KDE software. The number of open bug reports in Plasma itself is 4,011 as of right now.
              This is interesting, the entire KDE DE has 24,000 open bug reports but Plasma account for just over 4.000 of them.

Now you have a plan of attack.

Strip out all but the most essential of software, so you just have a basic shell and fix all the bugs that are present.

Once that is done, pick one KDE add-on and fix the bugs in that.

Repeat this process until KDE is bug free.

Note that nowhere in this plan does it include adding new feature or functionality until everything is bug free.

Imagine the kudos you would get from the community if you announced that all KDE bugs were fixed and that you could confidently say that KDE was 100% bug free and dependable.
              Last edited by sophisticles; 10 March 2024, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                Considering what that encompasses, that number is a lot more reasonable. I'm sure it won't take long until most of them go away.
                You base this one what exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

LOL. I think it's hilarious you think something like a new windows OS release doesn't get 6,000 bug reports a month. They probably get more than that per day, given the high number of users.

The only difference is you can't see it because it's not public.
                  I think it's hilarious that you don't understand the difference between Windows, a complete operating system and KDE, a desktop environment.

Windows has numerous APIs, ABIs, drivers, kernel, HAL, runtime, utilities, etc.

KDE is analogous to Explorer.exe not the complete Windows OS.

And i have news for you, there is no way that Explorer.exe has anywhere near 24,000 open bug reports,

Less, way less.

Comment

Originally posted by mdedetrich View Post
                    Jesus christ you are so clueless when it comes to how software is developed, either open or closed source.

This is not how it works in any software project.
                    I think you are correct, it probably isn't how it works.

That's why you have so much buggy software and so much malware out there.

Maybe if people started taking some pride in the work, and if people stopped enabling incompetent coding by apologizing for crap software, the world would be a better place.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
                      Please don't waste your time with this person. He obviously has some mental issues.

I use Plasma daily and I appreciate all you and the whole project is doing. If my opinion does not matter, at least Valve and millions of Steam Deck owners also appreciate.
                      Yeah, I have a very big mental issue, it's called knowing what I am doing and expecting other people to also show that they paid attention in school.

Seriously, much of the open source code looks like it was produced by people that are below the level of self-taught.

Since you don't have any mental issues, can you explain to me how you feel comfortable installing software on your computer that has 24,000, and counting, known open bug reports and how you feel comfortable trusting it with your personal information?

Comment

Working...
                      X