Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Developers Are Currently Seeing 150~200 Bug Reports Per Day

Phoronix: KDE Developers Are Currently Seeing 150~200 Bug Reports Per Day

KDE developer Nate Graham is out with his weekly development summary outlining the interesting feature work and bug fixes to land in the KDE space. Being fresh off the recent Plasma 6.0 release, a lot of bug reports are still coming in while developers are already busy tackling new features for Plasma 6.1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I like the creative way to use the statistics of bug reported into a positive (more people are using KDE). But damn, an uptick in bug reports does not make a project good. It makes me (a potential user) believe that the fundamentals are off somewhere, obviously no project is without bugs but still though... It also makes me believe that the Plasma releases are still not ready.
    But credit where credit is due, a healthy community makes the project go strong.

Comment

Originally posted by Sethox View Post
      I like the creative way to use the statistics of bug reported into a positive (more people are using KDE). But damn, an uptick in bug reports does not make a project good.
      Realistically it is going to be a combination of both higher usage because people (including me) are trying out the new release and reporting bugs and a new major release just having more bugs. KDE 6.0 is certainly not as buggy as KDE 4.0 was but as with all the major releases, it does have more bugs compared to the KDE 5.x series in the tail end. The project should set those expectations ideally before the release but also acknowledge that even now. They have a maze of settings which is great for opinionated users but the surface area for bugs is also higher. As long as the project is fixing the major annoyances quickly as it appears to be the case here, it is not a problem. I don't think anyone is going to buy into the idea that this is all purely because of more usage.
      Last edited by spicfoo; 09 March 2024, 08:22 AM.

Comment

obviously no project is without bugs but still though... It also makes me believe that the Plasma releases are still not ready.
        I think you'll be waiting a long time if you're waiting for zero bugs. If you go to any bug trackers for big projects you'll see that they're all getting bugs reported every single day. Reporting and triaging bugs is a normal part of software development. It's a good thing that they're on top of this and identified that a lot of the bugs getting reported are duplicates (i.e already being tracked). You go to some software projects and see hundreds and hundreds of open issues with nobody keeping track of any of them and every time somebody reports the exact same issue then that increases the bug count once more with no hope of ever managing any of them.

Comment

I like the creative way to use the statistics of bug reported into a positive (more people are using KDE). But damn, an uptick in bug reports does not make a project good. It makes me (a potential user) believe that the fundamentals are off somewhere, obviously no project is without bugs but still though... It also makes me believe that the Plasma releases are still not ready.
          But credit where credit is due, a healthy community makes the project go strong.
          Healthy in their own forum (or rather to spam to suppress genuine criticism), but being toxic by always bringing KDE on non KDE forum.

*cough*woke*cough*

Comment

I'm using kde6 and for the first time (or for more than 5 minutes) wayland, in kde5 it was impossible to use wayland for me the mouse was lagging like crazy and decided not to try find a workaround when the issue was already reported and x11 was working just fine for me.

But the first time I ran kde6 wayland session the experience was completely different, the mouse was buttery smooth, I think it's performing better than before (intel igpu 144hz display) and everything at first glance seemed to just work.

After some time I started discovering some problems, nothing alarming:
            • Gtk apps fonts were ugly (fixed by installing xdg-desktop-portal-gtk)
            • Missing plasmoids that I just hope gets updated
            • You can't drag something to a panel that is hidden with auto-hide cause it doesn't come back while dragging something (iirc this works in x session)
            Today I realized two more issues:
            • Global hotkeys for some applications just don't work (probably not updated to use the global shortcuts portal)
            • Gimp global menu sometimes disappears, and krita global menu just never appears.
            Most of the issues are from third party apps not updated to properly support wayland and the incredible effort for both 3rd party apps and the kde team to support it while also upgrading to qt6.

By any means I think this has been a bad release, It really feels snappier, there's some rough edges, sure, but everything is getting fixed, there's still a part of me that thinks that wayland is not ready and shouldn't be the default but maybe using it is what's needed for it to mature.

Kudos to the kde team for all the work done so far.

Comment

Having more bug reports is a good thing, it means the software is getting tested. Having tested the new release slightly i didn't find it anywhere near as broken as 4.0 release was. It is very suitable for daily usage, at least on my Intel hardware. In fact, the transition from 5 to 6 seemed a little too smooth to me (i am using Archlinux). I am really satisfied with the way the Linux desktop has been progressing lately. Not only with Plasma but with recent GNOME and even things like Sway, Pipewire, Wayland, things keep getting better and better.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
                Having more bug reports is a good thing,
                that so stupid. that means you are happier when a software has more bugs.
                what should be a good thing is "having more bugs fixed" and even this is not a very good thing since that means the software still have bugs

Comment

Feels like an early play games 😂

Comment

In the original article is written: "It means that people are using the software! Most of the bug reports actually not about KDE issues at all: graphics driver issues, bugs in themes, and bugs in 3rd-party apps. And many are duplicates of existing known issues, or really weird exotic issues only reproducible with specific combinations of off-by-default settings."

Comment

Working...
                    X