KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Proving To Be Unlike The Rocky KDE 4 Launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
    Even 6.1 development build is usable now. But what worries me is those "unnecessary-to-me" eye candy features like 3D Cube effects creeping in and reducing the resource efficiency and performance. I hope this is not a trend that will continue. Anyway, that development cycle and release quality was a smashing success. Way to go!
    What you call "eye candy", are effects that aren't even enabled by default. If a developer wants to do it, why not? Just because you don't like it? Many dev. work on what they like, because that's how free software works.​

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

What you call "eye candy", are effects that aren't even enabled by default. If a developer wants to do it, why not? Just because you don't like it? Many dev. work on what they like, because that's how free software works.​
      And it's not like these effects are turned on by default either. I like bit more effects than many (without going overboard, or so I like to think), but if you want things simple, you can have KDE look as simple as this: https://store.kde.org/p/1118738/ (not a KDE6 theme, I know, but I'm pretty sure you can do that yourself, if the theme wasn't updated).
      Last edited by bug77; 04 March 2024, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post

I don't think Wayland compositing has the same performance penalty compiz had on xorg. With compiz it had a lot of back and forth between xserver, the compositor, the app, etc. With wayland it is more straightforward. But yeah, since Wayland pretty much requires 3d acceleration and is running compositing all the time, why not add some eye candy?
        More execution code = more chance for uncaught bugs?

Comment

Originally posted by woddy View Post

I agree with how free software works. I don't agree with what you prefer but that is unavoidable. So, if KDE goes to where I don't want, there will be other options. And the same for you. In any case, I am indebted to those developers. Nothing to argue here.

Comment

Neon stable is not installing due to net config script failing as of today. It would be so nice to offer just the desktop as deb, rpm, and tgz packages for /opt. Or I dare to say a flatpak/snap package.would be great too. Seriously, maybe I should do this.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
              Even 6.1 development build is usable now. But what worries me is those "unnecessary-to-me" eye candy features like 3D Cube effects creeping in and reducing the resource efficiency and performance.
              Does that even load unless enabled?

I am not against features if they aren't forced upon me.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                Fractional scaling has been fine since beta. You may want to have a word with your freetype config, if fonts don't look right on your install (...)
                What exactly should I look for? My current settings are slight hinting (looked the best out of all options) and antialiasing, subpixel layout is set correctly, no lcdfilter.

Comment

Originally posted by kiffmet View Post

What exactly should I look for? My current settings are slight hinting (looked the best out of all options) and antialiasing, subpixel layout is set correctly, no lcdfilter.
                  I wish I knew, I haven't fiddled with that in a while. I'm just thinking, since Gentoo likes to compile everything, some funky parameter may have slipped somewhere.
                  Last edited by bug77; 04 March 2024, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Just on a side note:
                    KDE 4's start was not necessarily bumpy. It was the distributors who messed up at that point. KDE devs said: Don't use KDE 4.0 for end-users. It's a stable platform for program development on top, but not yet meant for daily use.
                    A lot of distributors still included it.
                    Gentoo ("it's all about choice") had it masked (you can have it but you should know what you're doing) until 4.1.something iirc. and that was an acceptable release for average users. I found KDE 5 to be more bumpy in the beginning.
                    Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

I certainly hope KDE continues to shine with this major update, i have not had a single problem in the whole Plasma 5 series on my workstation running Manjaro stable, only minor glitches. And when i tried upgrade from 5 to 6 in a VM it went without issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X