Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Proving To Be Unlike The Rocky KDE 4 Launch

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0 Is Proving To Be Unlike The Rocky KDE 4 Launch

Nate Graham is out with his belated weekend update to highlight all of the interesting KDE development activity for the week. This week, of course, saw the release of KDE MegaRelease 6 with Plasma 6.0, KDE Gear 24.02, and KDE Frameworks 6.0 in tow. Post-launch Graham characterizes Plasma 6.0 as being in good shape and the extra QA paying off. He commented, "Hopefully this should help banish those now 16-year-old painful memories of KDE 4. It’s a new KDE now. Harder, better, faster, stronger!"..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Even 6.1 development build is usable now. But what worries me is those "unnecessary-to-me" eye candy features like 3D Cube effects creeping in and reducing the resource efficiency and performance. I hope this is not a trend that will continue. Anyway, that development cycle and release quality was a smashing success. Way to go!

Comment

KDE 4 was a much much much bigger update technically speaking. Practically everything was rewritten and many components were either removed and replaced with something written from scratch.

That's clearly not the case for KDE6, and it feels "stable"/"stabler" because in essence it's a relatively minor update.

Comment

i wonder if they fix a bug on steam deck where if u have a keyboard/mouse attached to it the touch will behave in portrait mode when display is rotated in landscape orientation. actually i dont know if its kde fault or something else cause i have to reinstall arch and now the display seems to default in landscape instead of portrait with kde.

the reinstall was needed after an update of arch like in 1-2 months interval and display went from landscape to portrait and i've tried to rotate it but ended up with a constant black screen. i guess somehow kde (or something else - lots of updates) tried to readjust the orientation in "correct" way even thou there was no need.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
          Even 6.1 development build is usable now. But what worries me is those "unnecessary-to-me" eye candy features like 3D Cube effects creeping in and reducing the resource efficiency and performance. I hope this is not a trend that will continue. Anyway, that development cycle and release quality was a smashing success. Way to go!
          Since wayland is implemented by compositors requiring compositing, i want ALL those eye candies.
          I want everything that compiz had, without exception. As long as its optional and i can turn on / off effects that i want.
          It's not like xorg, where you could turn off compositing entirely.
          Wayland always has that performance penalty, so why not use it?

Comment

If you want to try KDE6, start Fedora40 (actually locked on KDE6.0.0). Everything works for me without errors (the usual stuff) including pushing it to run hardware video acceleration on Wayland with Nvidia in the browser. The only thing that seems to me is that the CPU is more busy on Wayland at rest. This was reported by more people.

Comment

The only thing I don't like so far is calling it "MegaRelease". I think it is funny and for marketing purposes, but it should have been called "MajorRelease" instead to distinguish it from a minor "Release" version. Granted, this is not an issue at all, which is my joke here.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                The only thing I don't like so far is calling it "MegaRelease". I think it is funny and for marketing purposes, but it should have been called "MajorRelease" instead to distinguish it from a minor "Release" version. Granted, this is not an issue at all, which is my joke here.
                KDE normally releases Plasma, Frameworks, and Gear at their own release cycles independently. Since this release required all of them released at once due to transition from Qt5 to Qt6, it is called Mega release. It is not a marketing term, it is a real Mega Release.

Comment

Originally posted by hf_139 View Post

Since wayland is implemented by compositors requiring compositing, i want ALL those eye candies.
                  I want everything that compiz had, without exception. As long as its optional and i can turn on / off effects that i want.
                  It's not like xorg, where you could turn off compositing entirely.
                  Wayland always has that performance penalty, so why not use it?
                  I am not going to argue with what you want. How can I? You stated your desires, best of luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by byteabit View Post
                    After 10 years of work and the release of a new major version, I think the developers have the right to call it that.

Comment

Working...
                    X