KDE MegaRelease 6 Debuts For Plasma 6.0, KF6 & Gear 24.02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smurphy View Post

That will be interesting. Wonder if I'll go with it straight, or if I wait a while and go with 6.1/2 or so.
    It's been stable enough for me. Wayland, Nvidia GPU, two monitors having different aspect ratios (no high-refresh or VRR, so i can't comment on those). What else do you need?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

It's been stable enough for me. Wayland, Nvidia GPU, two monitors having different aspect ratios (no high-refresh or VRR, so i can't comment on those). What else do you need?
      I imagine the different size / aspect ratio is because you bought them at different times? Cause I imagine them having the same size/etc is usually better.

Comment

When it hits the Manjaro repos I will update. Looks super clean and pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post

I imagine the different size / aspect ratio is because you bought them at different times? Cause I imagine them having the same size/etc is usually better.
          Yes, I usually upgrade my main monitor, the old main goes to the side, the old "to the side" gets given away or stored.
          I really liked 16:10, but there's no such choice for 4k. Sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Yes, I usually upgrade my main monitor, the old main goes to the side, the old "to the side" gets given away or stored.
            I really liked 16:10, but there's no such choice for 4k. Sadly.
            lol first world problems, btw what's so great about 16:10?

Comment

Wondeful release, especially because it has color management and HDR support too!
              Many thanks to all the KDE developers and to their supporters!

Comment

I'm a programmer. Most IDEs organize things vertically. So every bit of vertical space is gold. Otherwise, it's just more real-estate.

Comment

As I predicted has been a full mess.

It seems as the computer runs on an HDD without the use of RAM: a task of 1 second is made in 10 minutes. It's a pity because wayland session worked on Plasma5 although some artifact and other compatibility issues in different third part's programs. The positive note deals with the graphic side... it seems real better provided by an excellent rasterization. Now tell me how can a user run an operating system completely useless.
                  I don't know if the mess is caused by some Nvidia unmanaged algorhytm... but the fact is that all worked well on Plasma 5. So the developers have made some severe mistakes.
                  Another bad regression: the printer manager is uselessly chaotic. It seems really good like shit. Why do you change something that is good?
                  Last edited by MorrisS.; 28 February 2024, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Well, if you're into multimedia, well designed media players put the controls in the black bars on 16x9 content which is most TV shows. That's rather moot since most web based content has some sort of "we're gonna dim the entire screen if you move your mouse and the UI is up" filter that defeats the purpose of pausing the show to see some fine detail. It can nice for offline content in something like SMPlayer.

A lot of web content is vertical oriented, think places like Reddit, and the extra vertical space is helpful. Like bug77 said, the extra space in an IDE or terminal can be useful if you're programming. It really applies to text editing in general.

IMHO, slightly taller aspect ratios are only useful at resolutions below 1440p. Once you have enough resolution, the slightly extra vertical space from the x10 aspect ratio becomes less meaningful. That assumes good eyesight.

That said, I'm on 1440p 21:9, technically 43∶18 (21.5:9), and it isn't that hard to scale the UI to a point where 21.5:10 would be useful. I can see how if a person scales 4K into 1080p how 16:10 4K would be useful. I'm fortunate that I don't have to scale my UI up that much to see everything well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Terr-E View Post
                      Does anyone know when this is coming to KDE Neon?
                      Unfortunately, the mess has arrived. 😂

Comment

Working...
                      X