VVenC 1.11 Brings More Performance Improvements For H.266/VVC Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
    it is written in c++ so it might not be so secure. It has parse, decode and interpret many different things so lots of things can go wrong. It would be better to use rust.
    ROTFLMAO!!!

In the event you were not making a joke:

OMFG!!!

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Aren't they already working on AV2?
      They are but Open Source fanatics/haters/self-appointed elitists have no clue. They just hate.

Comment

From what i have seen VVC/H266 encoders tend to offer the highest quality per bitrate, both objectively and subjectively.

The better technology does not always win unfortunately and AV1 has a huge head-start, offers great quality in it's own right and there are already high quality hardware encoders that consume little energy.

Add to that that VVC decoders are hard to come by and require a fairly beefy system to play back 4k content whereas for $150 you can buy either an NVIDIA or Intel graphics card that is able to encode and decode AV1 up to 8k and I see no reason to use any software based encoder, especially one that will require a pretty beefy CPU and have limited support.

Comment

I'm surprised to see all of the H.266 enthusiasm here given that the royalty-based codecs cause trouble for open source projects. Firefox still doesn't support H.265 because of that. I'm really hoping that manufacturers rally around AV1 despite any additional benefits that H.266 may offer. Just stick with AV1 for now, and then begin to adopt AV2.

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
            From what i have seen VVC/H266 encoders tend to offer the highest quality per bitrate, both objectively and subjectively.

The better technology does not always win unfortunately and AV1 has a huge head-start, offers great quality in it's own right and there are already high quality hardware encoders that consume little energy.

Add to that that VVC decoders are hard to come by and require a fairly beefy system to play back 4k content whereas for $150 you can buy either an NVIDIA or Intel graphics card that is able to encode and decode AV1 up to 8k and I see no reason to use any software based encoder, especially one that will require a pretty beefy CPU and have limited support.
            AV1 is not so entrenched as you might think:

1. HW AV1 encoding for AV1 has become a reality just recently - that's RDNA3, NVIDIA Ada and Intel Xe 2 - all released in the past 1.5 years or something. And HW AV1 encoding is still a very niche thing suitable maybe for streamers and that's it. If you're serious about quality you'll never use it. SVT-AV1/libaom run circles around any HW AV1 encoder.

2. HW decoding fairs a little bit better but not so much, e.g. on mobile only Snapdragon 8 Gen 2/3 (all only for premium phones), Pixel 6/7/8 (relatively unknown in the world) and iPhone 15 Pro/Pro Max have it. Desktop GPUs have supported it for quite some time now, that's NVIDIA Ampere, AMD RDNA 2 and Intel Xe. Still there have been some shenanigans on the AMD part, e.g. Navi 24 and iGPUs based on RNDA2 didn't support it. No one here has paid any attention to this.

And I'm not sure AV1 would have had even this "success" if not for Google's massive push behind it.

Outside YouTube (selected very popular videos and 8K videos) and Netflix, there's basically no AV1 content on the net. Twitch has been promising for years to support it, even more so in 2024 but still nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by Chugworth View Post
              I'm surprised to see all of the H.266 enthusiasm here given that the royalty-based codecs cause trouble for open source projects. Firefox still doesn't support H.265 because of that. I'm really hoping that manufacturers rally around AV1 despite any additional benefits that H.266 may offer.
              Enthusiasm here? Are you joking? I'm probably the only person on Phoronix who's eagerly anticipating the codec, following its development and participating in efforts to support it (vvenc/vvdec/ffvc).

Almost everyone else is I HATE THIS PROPRIETARY CRAP, PLEASE BURY IT.

Just stick with AV1 for now, and then begin to adopt AV2.
              Stick? Pretty much no one on Phoronix has ever encoded a single frame in AV1. Who are preaching to exactly?

Actual video codec related people are on doom9 where I'm also quite active and vocal. And those people won't ask you what to use. They have rational considerations, not bigotry and hatred.

I'm astonished people even leave comments under this news piece. What's the point? I get it, for you only AV1 exists, a codec you had zero say in development and which was forced on you. What a time to be alive! Move on, this patent encumbered crap is only used for benchmarking. You don't have to smell or touch it.
              Last edited by avis; 21 February 2024, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I'm surprised to see all of the H.266 enthusiasm here given that the royalty-based codecs cause trouble for open source projects. Firefox still doesn't support H.265 because of that. I'm really hoping that manufacturers rally around AV1 despite any additional benefits that H.266 may offer. Just stick with AV1 for now, and then begin to adopt AV2.
                Firefox support hardware HEVC on Windows and Android, via MFT and MediaCodec respectively.

Comment

I'm curious when exactly the x266, which is claimed to be the most powerful h266 encoder, will be ready, they claim to be open source it by the end of 2023.

Comment

Originally posted by avis View Post
                    Pretty much no one on Phoronix has ever encoded a single frame in AV1.
                    You were saying?

Continuing with the encoding tests I have been doing, this thread will feature a different source, El Fuente, created from clips available here:

Is not what you find will here. What I am about to post is a test of Intel's/NetFlix's SVT-AV1 encoder, compared against x264+placebo and x265+placebo.

Happy New Year. I finally had some time and got around to doing a bunch of tests that i have wanted to do for a while. Any of you that have read my

The answer is one that most of us probably can't afford, and even if we could afford it, probably would not buy because I'm guessing most of us are in

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post

You were saying?
                      Um, a rare codec aficionado. The problem with you is that AFAIK you're also deep in the "We hate" camp. Not a single comment or thread in regard to VVC And of course none of your comments are phoronix. Videohelp is an entirely different forum where people don't swear allegiance to codecs based on their patent purity.
                      Last edited by avis; 21 February 2024, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X