VVenC 1.11 Brings More Performance Improvements For H.266/VVC Encoding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VVenC 1.11 Brings More Performance Improvements For H.266/VVC Encoding

Phoronix: VVenC 1.11 Brings More Performance Improvements For H.266/VVC Encoding

Fraunhofer on Tuesday released their latest feature update to the Versatile Video Encoder for open-source H.266/VVC encoding...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is written in C++ so it might not be so secure. It has parse, decode and interpret many different things so lots of things can go wrong. It would be better to use Rust.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
      It is written in C++ so it might not be so secure. It has parse, decode and interpret many different things so lots of things can go wrong. It would be better to use Rust.
      It's just one implementation, there will be others. And there's room for everyone.

Comment

Companies known not to be a part of the Access Advance or Via-LA patent pools as of November 2023 are: Apple, Canon, Ericsson, Fraunhofer, Google, Huawei, Humax, Intel, LG, Interdigital, Maxell, Microsoft, Oppo, Qualcomm, Samsung, Sharp and Sony.

At this point, I couldn't care less. Just use AV1. MPEG-LA can still take their patent pool up their arse.

Comment

Honestly, why use these proprietary codecs when free alternatives with good performance are out there? Are there any real benefits to using this tech?

Comment

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post
            Honestly, why use these proprietary codecs when free alternatives with good performance are out there? Are there any real benefits to using this tech?
            No, there is no benefit, but the fear is that without MPEG-LA who is funded by licenses there is no incentive to research and develop new codecs.

Lets just hope are money and resources to develop a successor to AV1 when a need arises.

Comment

Lets just hope are money and resources to develop a successor to AV1 when a need arises.
              Aren't they already working on AV2?

Comment

Patches are welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post

At this point, I couldn't care less. Just use AV1. MPEG-LA can still take their patent pool up their arse.
                  I was 200% sure someone would post this asinine evil stupid meaningless comment. Kudos. I'm not disappointed!

Originally posted by jonkoops View Post

None. From 38 to 46% bitrate savings over AV1. Absolutely nothing.

A HW decoder with a lot less complexity requiring probably half the AV1 transistor budget. A lot more power efficient decoding as a result.
                  Last edited by avis; 21 February 2024, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by geearf View Post

Aren't they already working on AV2?
                    I don't know. Probably. I just meant like it wouldn't be so good if a group came together and made AV1 which killed MPEG-LA and then there was no new development by anyone on any new codec. As long as MPEG-LA have a revenue model we can expect them to spend some R&D to come up with new and better codecs in the future.

Comment

Working...
                    X