Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Firefox 123.0 Available With Improved Translation Support, New Developer Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jpeg-xl jpeg-x ljpeg-xl jpeg-xl nope, still nothing really interesting to me

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
      Um why would anyone use other browsers than Chrome nightly builds on a production system?
      Depends on what you are producing - if it's test sets of data for research into keylogging and location tracking, then Chrome nightly would probably be ideal.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post

For the pulldown refresh behaviour, I think the reason it's not default is that it causes interment scrolling issues. Sometimes when you scroll (up, I think) it actually won't scroll every other swipe. Very frustrating so I had to disable pulldown to refresh
        I had that issue but I didn't disable it because it was useful for me. I think they changed the default to deactivate it and I didn't realize it. There has to be a solution because chrome is not so sensitive to that scrolling issue.

Comment

Originally posted by darkonix View Post

I had that issue but I didn't disable it because it was useful for me. I think they changed the default to deactivate it and I didn't realize it. There has to be a solution because chrome is not so sensitive to that scrolling issue.
          Most apps with the scrolldown to refresh, which is a lot, do not have the issue Firefox has. Hopefully, someone can tackle the issue or even find a good workaround. I miss it

Comment

I was pretty surprised and disappointed by the translation as of v122.
            I think the one time so far I thought I'd try it to see how it worked it happened to be on some variety of Chinese input wrt. an English locale browser. All that happened is it told me it doesn't support Chinese translation.

But AFAICT there are plenty of free / open / local ML models that can perform at least basic (maybe not great but I assume could at least deal with all common words and phrases) translation between Chinese and English and
            even if it does not include one as standard it seemed odd that it wouldn't have been implemented in a way that it couldn't have an option to download the needed support or offer to connect to a local (or whatever the user wants) ML model API to perform the function desired
            as opposed to just refusing saying "unsupported".

It seems like browsers should be more extensible for user / installation customization of how they provision features than they are.

Comment

This "scroll down to refresh" that is being talked about, does that mean if you are at the bottom of a page and roll the mouse wheel down, it triggers a page reload, eg. the same as Ctrl-R or F5 or clicking on the reload button?

Comment

Originally posted by Gonk View Post
                This "scroll down to refresh" that is being talked about, does that mean if you are at the bottom of a page and roll the mouse wheel down, it triggers a page reload, eg. the same as Ctrl-R or F5 or clicking on the reload button?
                It is an Android touch gesture.

Comment

Originally posted by pong View Post
                  I was pretty surprised and disappointed by the translation as of v122.
                  I think the one time so far I thought I'd try it to see how it worked it happened to be on some variety of Chinese input wrt. an English locale browser. All that happened is it told me it doesn't support Chinese translation.
                  * translation feature was funded by some european union authority.....
                  * it is correct it supports almost dozen european languages only, i dont have relevant link at present

Comment

Originally posted by Quackdoc View Post
                    jpeg-xl jpeg-x ljpeg-xl jpeg-xl nope, still nothing really interesting to me
                    On a side note. AVIF is supported in all major browsers now. That's the common denominator now! Furthermore there is hardware decoding support on almost all devices released in 2023 and later.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacefish View Post

On a side note. AVIF is supported in all major browsers now. That's the common denominator now! Furthermore there is hardware decoding support on almost all devices released in 2023 and later.
                      unfortunately AVIF makes a fairly poor webformat for high fidelity images, It lacks progressive decode, and is only really that good in comparison when you absolutely squash the quality or do animations since an AVIF "image" is just av1 video. Hardware decoding doesn't make a lot of sense for single images on destkops/laptops (but may phones I suppose).

It's nice, but it's not jpeg-xl nice. Avif for very low fidelity images is ok, AVIF for animated images is great, having full blown video in an animated image sure makes for some nice small files. but for the majority of content I care about jpeg-xl is both smaller (unless you really really push aomenc), and faster to decode, while still keeping features like progressive decoding.

Comment

Working...
                      X