Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mozilla Firefox 123.0 Available With Improved Translation Support, New Developer Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mozilla Firefox 123.0 Available With Improved Translation Support, New Developer Features

Phoronix: Mozilla Firefox 123.0 Available With Improved Translation Support, New Developer Features

Firefox 123.0 binaries are available today ahead of the official announcement tomorrow for this newest monthly web browser update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Firefox on Android actually supports pull-down-to-refresh swipe gestures but for some reason the option is not enabled by default. Weird considering this is common in other browsers and apps on Android so ought to be what users expect.

Hidden behind the about:config in Firefox are settings to enable lots of features which are still disabled by default, some of which have been introduced a very long time but are still not enabled by default, such as a clear button on input search fields.

WebGL performance in Firefox is slower than in other browsers. Firefox Dev Tools don't have good WebAssembly support. Emoji picker is not available on Linux.
    Last edited by uid313; 19 February 2024, 08:43 PM.

Comment

The big question is, will it work with Facebook or will it continue to jump around like crazy after scrolling a bit?
      It's only one of the most used sites on the internet and the experience with Firefox has been broken for over two years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuxie View Post
        The big question is, will it work with Facebook or will it continue to jump around like crazy after scrolling a bit?
        It's only one of the most used sites on the internet and the experience with Firefox has been broken for over two years now.
        I never experienced that with Facebook, but I did with Twitter and sometimes Instagram. But to be fair I consider that the developers responsibility.

Comment

The big question is, will it work with Facebook, or will it continue to jump around like crazy after scrolling a bit?
          a) That's not the big question; b) maybe Facebook should fix its site so that doesn't happen? And if they don't bother, maybe that will tell you that virtually no one is using Firefox to browse Facebook.

Comment

Um why would anyone use other browsers than Chrome nightly builds on a production system?

Comment

Does it do this if ad blockers are disabled? I honestly haven't checked, but Instagram has this behavior as well. I just assumed it is an ad blocker tax.

It's actually a feature though, once it starts misbehaving that means it's time to do something else. Really cuts down on the doom scrolling.

Comment

Originally posted by candybar View Post
                Does it do this if ad blockers are disabled? I honestly haven't checked, but Instagram has this behavior as well. I just assumed it is an ad blocker tax.
                Yes, it also happens on a fresh profile without any extensions. There are about:config "workarounds" some people mention in the thread, but while they stop the scroll jumping, they break the page even more in different ways instead. Instead of scrolling the page, you get a transparent fullscreen overlay with some random menu item names that scroll instead of the actual page, and if you click anywhere on the page when it gets in that state, you are taken to some random page instead of what you clicked on.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Um why would anyone use other browsers than Chrome nightly builds on a production system?
                  Why would anyone open Facebook?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    Firefox on Android actually supports pull-down-to-refresh swipe gestures but for some reason the option is not enabled by default. Weird considering this is common in other browsers and apps on Android so ought to be what users expect.

Hidden behind the about:config in Firefox is settings to enable lots of features which are still disabled by default, some of which have been introduced a very long time but are still not enabled by default, such as a clear button on input search fields. Other feature that is present but disabled is

WebGL performance in Firefox is slower than in other browsers. Firefox Dev Tools don't have good WebAssembly support. Emoji picker is not available on Linux.
                    For the pulldown refresh behaviour, I think the reason it's not default is that it causes interment scrolling issues. Sometimes when you scroll (up, I think) it actually won't scroll every other swipe. Very frustrating so I had to disable pulldown to refresh

Comment

Working...
                    X