No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma 6.0 Getting More Fixes & UI Refinements Ahead Of Release This Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0 Getting More Fixes & UI Refinements Ahead Of Release This Month

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0 Getting More Fixes & UI Refinements Ahead Of Release This Month

KDE Plasma 6.0 is due to be released at the end of this month! KDE Megarelease 6 RC2 released this week in facilitating more testing ahead of this big KDE desktop milestone and there's been no let-up in the amount of bug fixes and last minute work being prepped for this milestone...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Some of these bugfixes indicate that the 6 release can still be a little rough on the edges.
    Nevertheless I'm looking forward to try it out!

Comment

Originally posted by MastaG View Post
      Some of these bugfixes indicate that the 6 release can still be a little rough on the edges.
      It will be beta quality for sure.

Comment

I'm running from git as my daily driver and I've been really amazed how everything has fallen into place. All my niggles with Wayland are gone. Smplayer works natively without putting the video as a separate window and Chromium shows a correct cursor shape and size, only steam runs under xwayland. I'm happy.

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
          [...] and Chromium shows a correct cursor shape and ssize [...]
          Is that weird electron behaviour of scrolling less per mousewheel turn gone? It isn't exclusive to Wayland, or KDE for that matter. Just something REALLY annoying that seems to be an issue with electron (I think CEF is OK, but might be completely wrong.)

Edit:decided to Google instead of asking dumb questions. Apparently this wasn't an issue on Wayland since forever ago. Cheers.
          Last edited by DumbFsck; 03 February 2024, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

It will be beta quality for sure.
            In reality, it really feels more like 5 was the beta for 6.

Comment

Ever since Valve got involved, KDE's been crushing huge amounts of bugs left and right for a good while. So, you're not wrong that 6.0 is likely to be rough but I don't think there'll be much correlation to the bug fixes.

Comment

Arch kde-unstable repo has been smooth sailing for me for quite some weeks already. Not noticing any regressions vs. 5, except you might need some updates for 3rd party custom shell widgets.
                Looks like Xorg session is finally behind me.

Comment

Some bugs mentioned existed in 5th release. If anything according to users that tried KDE6, Wayland expierience is a ton better, especially for Nvidia gpus users.

Comment

Pretty niche but I had issues with gvt-g locking up my compositor in 5.x under Wayland, that issue is completely gone now with 6 allowing me to switch to Wayland without any dealbreakers. GPU hotplugging is extremely neat too, on my laptop I can pass my dGPU between host and VM without requiring me to log out unlike X11!

Comment

Working...
                    X