Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Lands NVIDIA Hardware Cursor Support & Other Last Minute Plasma 6.0 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by avis View Post

What are you on? I've been on Radeon 780m for half a year already.
    i'm testing right now a laptop with 7840hs.
    ive tried to limit both igpu and dgpu to 30fps (i'm not a fun of shooters)
    780M draws too much power that i wonder why its even there when nvidia can draw less power for same fps.
    total power consumption from the wall 780M - 50-60w while nvidia 4060 (rated 140w) draws 40-55W. well its true that nvidia will draw more power in very crowded place while the 780M will start to drop the fps. so i guess nvidia still wins.
    i'm currios how much power (from the wall) draws a 7840U in games and even idle. btw it seems that windows draws less power than linux while not playing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Ping. Enlightenment supports it, LiquidShell supports it, Liri supports it, Maui Shell supports it, several window managers support it, Cinnamon, Deepin and LXQt are working on it (though Deepin takes it more seriously at the moment and will release a non-experimental Wayland session next year), etc.
      You seem to be gravely mistaken when you use "support" in regard to wasteland.

Only gnome and kde expose all the desktop features required to have a semblance of complete desktop experience.

Everything else you've mentioned is not "support". They are maybe good for showing and moving application windows. This is nearly unusable for me.

I need
      • Screen capture and casting.
      • A full featured graphical clipboard manager.
      • Global shortcuts.
      • Systray support.
      • Session management.
      • And a ton more.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

…said no one ever, lol.
        Based on many recursive tests, Nvidia proprietary drivers are the best graphical solution on Linux Oses.

Comment

Originally posted by loganj View Post

i'm testing right now a laptop with 7840hs.
          ive tried to limit both igpu and dgpu to 30fps (i'm not a fun of shooters)
          780M draws too much power that i wonder why its even there when nvidia can draw less power for same fps.
          total power consumption from the wall 780M - 50-60w while nvidia 4060 (rated 140w) draws 40-55W. well its true that nvidia will draw more power in very crowded place while the 780M will start to drop the fps. so i guess nvidia still wins.
          i'm currios how much power (from the wall) draws a 7840U in games and even idle. btw it seems that windows draws less power than linux while not playing.
          780m is rated 15W and it's super efficient at that:

There's no way mobile rtx 4060 is even usable at this power budget. Nvidia allows to decrease TDP at most by 50%.

Comment

You seem to be gravely mistaken when you use "support" in regard to wasteland.

Only gnome and kde expose all the desktop features required to have a semblance of complete desktop experience.

Everything else you've mentioned is not "support". They are maybe good for showing and moving application windows. This is nearly unusable for me.

I need
            • Screen capture and casting.
            • A full featured graphical clipboard manager.
            • Global shortcuts.
            • Systray support.
            • Session management.
            • And a ton more.

All of those features work on at least Enlightenment and LiquidShell, both of which I mentioned. (LiquidShell is based on KDE.)

Comment

There's no way mobile rtx 4060 is even usable at this power budget. Nvidia allows to decrease TDP at most by 50%.
              what i've told you is what i see at the killa watt at the wall. its up to you to believe it or not. at 30fps limit 780M draws on average 10w more than 4060. i have to try it on linux to make sure that no swap was involved into it since i have only 16Gb ram. tested with shadow of the tomb raider highest settings.
              seems that nvidia in shadow of tr stays in 14-15w while in menus at most is under 30w. so i guess nvidia is doing greate. btw the resolution is 1920x1200 and no fsr or dlss whatever
              Attached Files
              Last edited by loganj; 03 December 2023, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by partcyborg View Post

The only thing exposed here is your lack of understanding how any of this works. AMD drivers are already in mesa. This has nothing to do with the kernel architecture. Drivers are already modular. In many cases you could probably just backport amd driver fixes from later kernels to the LTS version or whatever you want to run and rebuild the module.

The issue is how the driver code is managed in the git repo. A linux microkernel would have the exact same problem.
                Right modules. Depending how hardened you run your kernel modules are not an option. Actually i run kernel without modules ans without initram and junk like that. Hey maybe microkernels do suck.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Well, if you take a step back and look at the bigger picture, the answer becomes apparent: Linux doesn't suck. It successfully underpins the backbone of the Internet, it carries most of the mobile phones in the world. What doesn't work so well is Linux desktop. And that's because, unlike server-oriented distros or Android, which are governed by a single body, the Linux desktop is still a wild-west, for various reasons.
                  Considering that, Linux works surprisingly well on the desktop, imho. And I try to remember all that whenever I run into a papercut, instead of blaming <insert_company_you_dislike_here> for not fixing the ecosystem as a whole.
                  I am not talking about servers. And talking about servers who uses AMD in servers anyway. And you make a baseless assumption about me not liking AMD when all i run is AMD gpu and cpu on gentoo desktops and homelab. Still need to replace intel vps and laptop tho.
                  Last edited by cj.wijtmans; 03 December 2023, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I was thinking about that in the Bcachefs article earlier. It gets a bug fix or performance enhancement and you have to upgrade your kernel, same thing happens with ZFS and you update the module. AMD/Intel and NVIDIA are the same. I have an AMD GPU and as much as I'd prefer to keep the kernel on LTS, I have to run Stable because of a single piece of hardware. The worst part is that AMD maintains an out of tree DKMS version in AMDGPU-Pro but it's only geared to work on Ubuntu, SUSE, and RHEL.
                    Finally a sane response unlike the spergs getting angry at someone criticized how linux works. The situation is not bad for me as i use gentoo and i can run whatever i want and easily add any patches i want. But from a general consumer perspective microkernel is just a better approach.

Comment

Depends on GPU, for example my rtx 3070Ti allows dropping TDP to 32%. But I tried as well to test efficiency (power used vs FPS) every 5% of TDP and highest efficiency is somewhere between 45-60% TDP. It depends on clocks (stock vs overclocking) as well what are you doing. For example, OCed memory normally helps with efficiency, but moment you drop to 45-50% OCed memory actually loses efficiency. In general to every Nvidia Ampere desktop user (3000 serie) you can drop TDP to 70-75%, you will only lose max 5% of performance for way better efficiency.

Comment

Working...
                      X