Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Lands NVIDIA Hardware Cursor Support & Other Last Minute Plasma 6.0 Features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gentlegeek View Post
    Wish list for KDE: let me duplicate panels to a different display so I don't have to set the same one up 4 times 😂 or has someone solved that already and I don't know about it yet?
    Not that I know of. If it's really important to you, then you could try editing the plasma config file that contains the panel and the widgets in it and duplicate stuff there.
    However, if you do so, make sure you create backups before doing that, in case you make a mistake.

Actually don't know if you would be faster that way, but in principle it should be possible that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Berniyh View Post
      Not that I know of. If it's really important to you, then you could try editing the plasma config file that contains the panel and the widgets in it and duplicate stuff there.
      However, if you do so, make sure you create backups before doing that, in case you make a mistake.

Actually don't know if you would be faster that way, but in principle it should be possible that way.
      Yeah, I've known about that possibility but I have been too "lazy" to take the time to look at and potentially learn how to manipulate that config file lol I think it's time I finally do it so that I can backup/migrate my customizations and have more understanding of what I'm doing lol

I think the issue I've had with digging into the config file is that it feels like such a core feature (to me at least) to have and it's absence stands in such stark contrast to the rest of the epic configurability of plasma. It's things like this that really make me want to learn coding so I could contribute it 🙂

Comment

Originally posted by Daktyl198 View Post
        AFAIK the only NVidia specific features that even work on Linux are CUDA and their encoder.
        Performance is another one.

It's not my problem other vendors make such shit cards for AI workloads. Intel as well, not just AMD, so not hating on either.

I don't give a shit about gaming btw.

Comment

I am avoiding to use that manufacturer's name. There is whole lot of improvements in Nate's blog. And everyone is raving about a single line in three pages already.

Is there a way to build/install for Plasma 6 as a second DE option along with Plasma 5? I just don't want to install Plasma 6 over Plasma 5.

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post
            I am avoiding to use that manufacturer's name. There is whole lot of improvements in Nate's blog. And everyone is raving about a single line in three pages already.

Is there a way to build/install for Plasma 6 as a second DE option along with Plasma 5? I just don't want to install Plasma 6 over Plasma 5.
            Use any linux distribution inside your terminal. Enable both backward and forward compatibility with software and freedom to use whatever distribution you’re more comfortable with. Mirror available...

​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by mrg666 View Post

That's how it works with kdesrc-build and how I'm doing it right now. It compiles and installs the everything where you tell it and then it has a script to add the kdesrc-build envrionment to your login manager. This is a good place to start.

You can add these to you global section for a bit of optimization:

Code:
                  cmake-options -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release

make-options -march=znver4 -mtune=znver4 -O3

configure -march=znver4 -mtune=znver4 -O3​
              When building the whole KDE project I had to comment out kdepim since I couldn't fix its build errors.

I had a few other build issues that had to be resolved, like one package that wanted to install a Python override to /usr and some projects needed to use ${KDE_INSTALL_APPDIR} for their .desktop file location.
              Last edited by skeevy420; 02 December 2023, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Thank you, skeevy420 and @pWe00Iri3e7Z9lHOX2Qx
                ​I am trying now.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

I had a few other build issues that had to be resolved, like one package that wanted to install a Python override to /usr and some projects needed to use ${KDE_INSTALL_APPDIR} for their .desktop file location.
                  If i'm not wrong only libsignon-glib is trying to install some files to /usr other than that none given similar error to me

Comment

Originally posted by jeisom View Post

DLSS 3.5 works as well except for frame generation. Obviously FSR is available as an alternative in many games.
                    Oh, I wasn't sure that DLSS worked properly on Linux. That's good, as DLSS is superior to FSR still, and it's definitely a boon that it works.

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Performance is another one.

It's not my problem other vendors make such shit cards for AI workloads. Intel as well, not just AMD, so not hating on either.

I don't give a shit about gaming btw.
                    ​

So you're part of the fraction of 1% that I mentioned in the comment you replied to. That makes you part of an extremely small subset of users that actually requires NVidia GPUs, which was the point of my comment. NVidia does have things AMD doesn't, especially when it comes to ML. But on Linux, for most users (including gamers), then there's really no benefit to going with NVidia other than maybe a small boost in performance of games which is important, but probably not worth the NVidia tax these days.

Once NVidia actually ports over GeForce Experience or at least some of the features inside of it that Windows users enjoy, then it'll be a different story.

Comment

Kde Plasma is going to be the best Linux desktop.

Comment

Working...
                      X