Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KDE Plasma 6.0 Beta 1 Released With Frameworks & Gear Updated

Phoronix: KDE Plasma 6.0 Beta 1 Released With Frameworks & Gear Updated

KDE today announced their first beta of the "KDE 6th Megarelease" as the Plasma 6.0, KDE Frameworks 6, and latest Gear applications...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I just downloaded the Neon Unstable image and booted into a live environment, mostly to see if a past gripe of mine still existed. Seems like there is still a bunch of files in the root of "~/.config" that could otherwise exist in one or more folders under the same - as I have said in the past, sort of "namespacing" these configurations files with folder structure. Could be an unfounded fear, but makes me wonder how the core files are spread out as well. In the end, not a big deal to me in that I don't think KDE is quite my thing even though there are some design details I like (to each there own, last thing I need to do is argue with others regarding desktop environments, window managers, etc.) I do like and want to see options in the "traditional desktop" paradigm, but also looking for maybe a more slimmed down implementation of this, and maybe Wayland native (maybe Cosmic will fit the bill, we will see.) Anyway, just mentioning. This all said, glad they are making progress and getting close to the release of KDE 6, so congrats on that!

Comment

Originally posted by ehansin View Post
      I just downloaded the Neon Unstable image and booted into a live environment, mostly to see if a past gripe of mine still existed. Seems like there is still a bunch of files in the root of "~/.config" that could otherwise exist in one or more folders under the same - as I have said in the past, sort of "namespacing" these configurations files with folder structure. Could be an unfounded fear, but makes me wonder how the core files are spread out as well. In the end, not a big deal to me in that I don't think KDE is quite my thing even though there are some design details I like (to each there own, last thing I need to do is argue with others regarding desktop environments, window managers, etc.) I do like and want to see options in the "traditional desktop" paradigm, but also looking for maybe a more slimmed down implementation of this, and maybe Wayland native (maybe Cosmic will fit the bill, we will see.) Anyway, just mentioning. This all said, glad they are making progress and getting close to the release of KDE 6, so congrats on that!
      That was brought up in a previous KDE Plasma 6 thread and a very, very prominent KDE Developer replied that the ./config situation is a "could fix but won't since everything works and the only people complaining about it are forum people". AFAIK, all the rest of the core files are where they're supposed to be.

While the default KDE desktop might not be your thing, you can mimic practically every other desktop environment in minutes if you know what you're doing. I've always wished that KDE had a multiple choice selection method for setting the default panel style. Something easier and less scary for new KDE users than deleting all panels and widgets to go gung-ho with the desktop settings.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

That was brought up in a previous KDE Plasma 6 thread and a very, very prominent KDE Developer replied that the ./config situation is a "could fix but won't since everything works and the only people complaining about it are forum people". AFAIK, all the rest of the core files are where they're supposed to be.
        It's Nate Graham, one of the most communicative KDE developers. He didn't say that exactly, but something along the lines in essense of not a priority and patches welcome.

Anyway, he can reply about this and other KDE stuff. His feedback is very well welcome ngraham

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
        While the default KDE desktop might not be your thing, you can mimic practically every other desktop environment in minutes if you know what you're doing. I've always wished that KDE had a multiple choice selection method for setting the default panel style. Something easier and less scary for new KDE users than deleting all panels and widgets to go gung-ho with the desktop settings.
        That and some kind of default "profiles", create new ones and share them in some way, etc

Of course, every DE is a giant piece of software that requires constant bugfixes and optimizations to stay relevant. But versatility is very important and something quite undervalued. Linux kernel is so successful because it's extremely versatile.

Customization can be endless. That's an excellent thing if done properly, with robust and well engineered methods.

Comment

skeevy420 I guess I would fall under the category of one of those "forum people" I state that not to mock anyone else, but more as some self-deprecating acknowledgment. As far as the rest of the files are concerned, I am sure you are correct. Truth is, there are things I do like about KDE. Little stuff like the default font used I feel makes things feel crisp and clean. Maybe I will keep tabs on things, maybe be willing to play around some more with it, in the least just to understand it better. I have seen lots of customized KDE desktop images online and many look nice. If nice looking (aesthetics matter) pairs up with solid underlying stability and usability, those are good combinations.

timofonic Sounds like you are echoing the sentiment on versatility. Again, might be worthwhile for me to play around some with, dig into the configs, etc. The config files in root of "~/.config" issue I know is in the end not a big deal, just feel like it could help keeps things more organized (e.g. KDE5 for core KDE 5 configs, KDE6 for core KDE 6 configs, etc.) Unfortunately, I don't have the "chops" to submit patches, so I guess I am resorting to being a "forum person" (yeah, I know, one of those - but haven't most of us been one of those at one time or another!)

ngraham Will add in here, despite any griping from me, I have often read your blog posts when highlighted in articles Michael has posted here. Sounds like good things happening in the KDE space and congratulations on KDE 6 coming together and getting close to release.
          Last edited by ehansin; 29 November 2023, 10:04 PM.

Comment

There is some nasty bugs on wayland, it they fix them, it will be greatest desktop for 2024.

Comment

I'd much rather have some API that you could script against to control all the settings. GNOME isn't my cup of tea, but dconf/gsettings allows for a lot more accessible configuration in simple shell scripting or something like NixOS. I'd love to be able to change all the basic stuff like touchpad scroll direction, panel launchers, screen locking behavior, etc. from a simple bash script without futzing around manipulating the config files. KDE has been switching to better defaults which is hugely important and is generally a sore spot for FOSS. But a suite wide config interface would be nice. I know it's not high priority since most people aren't constantly playing with distros like me, but maybe by KDE 9 or 10 I'll get my wish.

Comment

Originally posted by chromer View Post
                There is some nasty bugs on wayland
                Such as?

Comment

I have one thing to say only ...

U9P3zxq.png

Comment

That is not a problem but just your legitimate desire but not a problem.
                    I've been using Plasma for 5 years and honestly, I don't care where the config files are located, if you have a problem just ask.
                    Nate is right, this annoyance is only for slightly technical users, the "normal" user doesn't know where the desktop configuration files are located even in Windows, they just don't care.
                    But I understand that for some it would be better to have them in a single folder.​

Comment

Working...
                    X